Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #1

Power Awning Wind Sensor

I have a 2003 Wnnebago Adventurer with the power awning and the wind sensor that is supposed to retract the awning when it gets too windy. However the wind sensor is not working. When I switch it on, it has a warning beep telling me that the system is not working. Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be?

Luke
lslongoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have an A&E WeatherPro the awning control box will beep if it's too cold out for the sensor to work properly (from the Diagnostic Service Manual):
3.1.9 Temperature Sensing
a. If the temperature is 30° F or less and
the wind sensor switch is in the ENABLE
(ON) position the alarm will
sound. The awning will not open and
if it is in the open position it will automatically
close. Moving the switch to
the DISABLE (OFF) position will stop
the alarm from sounding. See Section
1.6 and Section 2.1.
b. If the temperature exceedes the 105°
high range the wind sensor will continue
to function. The alarm will not
sound. High winds (over 18- 22 MPH)
will close the canopy.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #3

Power Awning Wind Sensor

Thanks for your reply. I live in Southern California, so the weather is rarely at either of these temperature extremes, so I don't think my problem is temperature related. I'm wondering if its not just a bad wind sensor.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi lslongoria,
Welcome to iRV2. Has it rained lately? If so the sensor may beep until it gets dried out. Other than this and what was posted earlier, the beep is a death beep to let you know the auto retract feature is not working. You may need a new control board. Until then, turn the auto retract off. The awning will open and close based on your pressing the control button. New control boards can come with a new roof sensor. Consider not installing a new control board until you check the sensor on the roof. I drilled a 1/4" hole a the back and bottom of the plastic housing that the sensor is mounted in. This allows rain water to drain out of the plastic housing instead of accumulating inside and ruining the auto retract feature.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bugs like to build homes in the sensor also. Had it happen to me. Got the beep also.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:00 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Those sensors can be picky at times. The sensors really do not sense wind speed at all. What they do is sense a temperature drop, which occurs when the wind speed increases. Therefore the sensor won't fall apart when driving at highway speeds but it will be sensitive to thermal elements. That's why they will beep and shutdown in cold weather until you turn off the sensor via the switch on the awning ciontrol module. If you get any water or crud in the sensor it'll mess it up as well. If you can get an air hose and blow gun (or even a can of compressed air for cleaning computers) up to the sensor on the roof you can try to blow the tower out to dry it. Chances are good that this will restore it's operation. Even a hair drier with decent airflow might do the trick as well.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I also had a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer. Loved the coach, but the wind sensor drove me crazy. At a rally I had the opportunity to talk to a rep from Weather Pro. The end result was that I ended up with a complete new Wind Sensor and Control Box sent to me. I installed the new Wind Sensor but not the Control Box, no change. We also talked about Temperature change not Wind pressure. When I got home, I cut a round disk (from about 3/8” thick insulation material) about ½” larger then the top of the Wind Sensor. I then glued the disk to the top of the Wind Sensor. This kept the temperature sensor inside the Wind Sensor more stable and was a good improvement.
I still have the original Wind Sensor and new Control Box. If you want it, you can have it for the cost of shipping. Figure out what it would cost to ship from Shawnee, Kansas to you and let me know. The box is 10 ¾” long by 8” deep by 4 ½” high, about 2lbs.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:29 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
THEY DON'T WORK!!!!!!!! I have replaced mine and the replacement does not work. I have checked the wireing, the connections, everything and finally admitted that it beat me.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #9

Chuck, I am with you, if it does work it will not be for long. I would never leave the awning out in trust if the sensor. I also gave up.
Lault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #10

Thanks to you all for your replies to my inquiry.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:33 PM   #11

Islongoria, I have the same exact issue as you. It beeps 24 x7 if I have it enabled and yes I live in So Cal too. I think it has to be the controller myself. I just have my unit switched off all the time.

8.1 litre
simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:18 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
THEY DON'T WORK!!!!!!!! I have replaced mine and the replacement does not work. I have checked the wireing, the connections, everything and finally admitted that it beat me.
Well what do you know. We were camped a week ago and the wind came up and I'll be damned , UP ROLLED THE AWNING. I have zero faith in this thing
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote