Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #1

Power Gear Electric Jack Issue

Have a 2007 Discovery 39V with Power Gear Electric jacks. Currently they all will go down and level the unit, but the Left rear jack goes into error when retracting. I can get the others up by resetting, however can only get the last one to retract by putting 12V directly to the jack so the motor is good.
Before I start tearing the jack apart does anyone know if it is the brake on the jack or the controller? Or something else to check?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Al
af724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2021, 11:54 AM   #2

Have you tried putting them down all the way, clean and spray with silicone. I do this twice a year. I spray silicone up as far inside everything.
Old 08-17-2021, 09:41 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Power Gear Electric Jack issue

I have had various issues over the years with Power Gear electric jacks. Recently, All the jacks have had the Electric Leveling Motor Brake upgrades. Kit # 386323 installed. Three of which I did myself. The one that most recently failed , RR was performed by our local service provider. Symptom was it would not retract. I discovered water intrusion and corrosion of the brake. Cause? Failure to follow installation instructions. A tie wrap was used to secure the boot rather than a SS band. I use a SS worm drive hose clamp rather than the crimp style band provided with the kit so it can be disassembled and reused. Also no silicone seal was used around the boot to help prevent water intrusion. Fortunately, I had a spare kit and was able to complete a repair before our checkout time.
If your leveling jack brakes have not been updated, it’s best to do so before they fail. Kit # 386323. About $243 ea. Not cheap but better than an untimely fail and possible service charge .
If they have already been updated and you need to replace just the brake, GOOD NEWS, the brake and boot assembly only are available as a separate part # 380258 directly from Lippert. A lot cheaper at $ 104.95.
Another tip is to clean the magnet assembly on the jack leg, this can cause mysterious issues too. Good luck!!
TRV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRV1 View Post
I have had various issues over the years with Power Gear electric jacks. Recently, All the jacks have had the Electric Leveling Motor Brake upgrades. Kit # 386323 installed. Three of which I did myself. The one that most recently failed , RR was performed by our local service provider. Symptom was it would not retract. I discovered water intrusion and corrosion of the brake. Cause? Failure to follow installation instructions. A tie wrap was used to secure the boot rather than a SS band. I use a SS worm drive hose clamp rather than the crimp style band provided with the kit so it can be disassembled and reused. Also no silicone seal was used around the boot to help prevent water intrusion. Fortunately, I had a spare kit and was able to complete a repair before our checkout time.
If your leveling jack brakes have not been updated, it’s best to do so before they fail. Kit # 386323. About $243 ea. Not cheap but better than an untimely fail and possible service charge .
If they have already been updated and you need to replace just the brake, GOOD NEWS, the brake and boot assembly only are available as a separate part # 380258 directly from Lippert. A lot cheaper at $ 104.95.
Another tip is to clean the magnet assembly on the jack leg, this can cause mysterious issues too. Good luck!!
Everything stated on this post is correct. I at one time was ready to give up on my troublesome electric jack. I did the up date myself along with some silicone and has been trouble free ever since. Also it also help to cycle them about every 30 days.
desertdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 10:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdd View Post
Everything stated on this post is correct. I at one time was ready to give up on my troublesome electric jack. I did the up date myself along with some silicone and has been trouble free ever since. Also it also help to cycle them about every 30 days.
Thanks for the input. Have been getting support from Lippert on this one and with a lot of troubleshooting it looks like the voltage on the sensor coming from the Control box is low. When I swap leads coming off the control box from the left rear to the right rear I can move the problem. Apparently the control box is no longer supported so I guess I have to see if I can get it repaired
af724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:50 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Power Gear Electric Jack Issue

Sounds like your getting some help from Lippert and are on the path to narrow this down
If you haven’t already been on their support page there are various tip sheets that have been invaluable in sorting out problems. I’ve downloaded all of those that are relative to my system and have used ALL of them at one time or another
There is one specific to Electric Leveling Sensor Circuit Function Check # 11011.
Before finalizing on the circuit board, I would make sure that the sensor wiring connectors are clean and not loose or damaged in any way. Also, I would check to make sure the magnets in the jack leg are present and clean. It’s also possible the Hall effect sensor could be defective.
If you have any problem locating the support documentation , I can provide the link.
Good Luck.
TRV1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, power, power gear