Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-15-2022, 05:37 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Fair Play, SC
Posts: 3
Power Gear Leveler Issue

I have a 1998 National Dolphin with Power Gear 4 jack leveler system. It has the 500210 control. Most of the time the system operates as it should. Occasionally the right jack button stops working, all others work fine. I have had some success in "resetting" the control by killing the power, unplugging the three connectors on the back and reconnecting them. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. Might just be a coincidence.

I know the 500210 control has been discontinued and there is a $700 upgrade. Has anyone had any luck having the controller repaired? Don't want to spend $700 if I don't have to , but also don't want to throw money at a repair that won't last. Thanks in advance
We Jeep Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2022, 02:02 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Kahoona's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Conch Republic
Posts: 2,162
When Lippert bought Power Gear they pretty much declared everything obsolete and created replacements. My entire 2008 4 jack system was declared obsolete and it was suggested that I replace the entire thing instead of the controller. I found a new old controller and that fixed it. Even used parts are usually OK.

First try using contact cleaner on all connections working them on and off a few times. Check all grounds you can find removing them and sanding them before putting them back. Did you do the troubleshooting routines with a tech at Lippert while on the phone? Lots of used parts on ebay. If nothing else works then bite the bullet.
__________________
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:54 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Fair Play, SC
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
When Lippert bought Power Gear they pretty much declared everything obsolete and created replacements. My entire 2008 4 jack system was declared obsolete and it was suggested that I replace the entire thing instead of the controller. I found a new old controller and that fixed it. Even used parts are usually OK.

First try using contact cleaner on all connections working them on and off a few times. Check all grounds you can find removing them and sanding them before putting them back. Did you do the troubleshooting routines with a tech at Lippert while on the phone? Lots of used parts on ebay. If nothing else works then bite the bullet.
I have been through all the wiring and cleaned all connections. It's hit or miss whether the right button works or not. All other functions work as they should. (The right jacks operate when the front/rear buttons are pressed) I have found online that there is a common issue with the right button on the controller. My guess is that there is some electrical component on the board that is intermittently failing.

I have not called Lippert because I suspect their fix will be to replace the controller. I'm keeping my eye out for a used controller or possibly have mine repaired (Radwell can do it for $320 with a 2 year warranty)

Thanks for the response
We Jeep Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:28 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Kahoona's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Conch Republic
Posts: 2,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by We Jeep Inn View Post
I have been through all the wiring and cleaned all connections. It's hit or miss whether the right button works or not. All other functions work as they should. (The right jacks operate when the front/rear buttons are pressed) I have found online that there is a common issue with the right button on the controller. My guess is that there is some electrical component on the board that is intermittently failing.

I have not called Lippert because I suspect their fix will be to replace the controller. I'm keeping my eye out for a used controller or possibly have mine repaired (Radwell can do it for $320 with a 2 year warranty)

Thanks for the response

My controller ( the board with the buttons) is P# 500629. When I called Lippert They did tell me that it was all obsolete but they were willing to work with it. What the guy did was to email me some tech pages that I could use along with the shop manual that I got online. He walked me through some resets and troubleshooting routines that the unit has in order to find out which part was really the problem. We discovered that the problem was with the "brain" which was installed between the rails in the basement. He didn't care where I got the replacement. I could not find a used but I did find a parts guy who told me Lippert did not stop making them but only changed the numbers so I had him get me one and that fixed it. This way I was certain that I was not replacing the wrong part.

I think having it repaired would be a wonderful thing and please post where to have it done after you do it. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. twice and both times they have steered me in the right direction. I cannot promise they are still helping out though. Times change.
__________________
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:13 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Jim_HiTek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Full time RV'er
Posts: 4,277
I found that with my '94 Powergear 3-jack system that it wasn't the touch pad at all...it was corroded contacts on the solenoids. First one broke, I fixed it, and than a few months later, another one broke. I couldn't find replacement solenoids in the usual places so I had to grind away at the plastic and solder in new spade lugs. I discovered it was the spade lugs on the solenoid when I was looking at the system under the hood and wiggled the wires, and one just fell off in my hand.

Here's what my controller pad looked like back after I'd modified it somewhat:



Here's the repairs done to the solenoid:



Here's the ad free blog article about it. Might somewhat apply to your '98 system: Powergear Leveling System
__________________
'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:33 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Kahoona's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Conch Republic
Posts: 2,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I found that with my '94 Powergear 3-jack system that it wasn't the touch pad at all...it was corroded contacts on the solenoids. First one broke, I fixed it, and than a few months later, another one broke. I couldn't find replacement solenoids in the usual places so I had to grind away at the plastic and solder in new spade lugs. I discovered it was the spade lugs on the solenoid when I was looking at the system under the hood and wiggled the wires, and one just fell off in my hand.

Here's what my controller pad looked like back after I'd modified it somewhat:



Here's the repairs done to the solenoid:



Here's the ad free blog article about it. Might somewhat apply to your '98 system: Powergear Leveling System

You are so right about those spade lugs connectors. So often they are the cause of troubles. Those and the grounds.
__________________
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:21 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Jim_HiTek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Full time RV'er
Posts: 4,277
I did google the system number listed in OP's first post, and found that they are still available (I think) at this website. But they are spendy. Just not $700 spendy.

Here: Power Gear Touch Pad...

I found when I modified and added electronics to mine that it was pretty simple electronics so it could be repaired easy enough. And I saw a DIY article once about someone who just built his own replacement touch panel using push button switches and LEDs for under $50 but that was mostly used for testing.

I would mention that the touch pad is so simple, that I'd eliminate all other possible causes before ordering a replacement. I'd not pay that much either. Oh, and if it does turn out to be the touch pad, you can probably save money by ordering one from a salvage yard: Used RV parts Salvage yards...
__________________
'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 05:37 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Fair Play, SC
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I did google the system number listed in OP's first post, and found that they are still available (I think) at this website. But they are spendy. Just not $700 spendy.

Here: Power Gear Touch Pad...

I found when I modified and added electronics to mine that it was pretty simple electronics so it could be repaired easy enough. And I saw a DIY article once about someone who just built his own replacement touch panel using push button switches and LEDs for under $50 but that was mostly used for testing.

I would mention that the touch pad is so simple, that I'd eliminate all other possible causes before ordering a replacement. I'd not pay that much either. Oh, and if it does turn out to be the touch pad, you can probably save money by ordering one from a salvage yard: Used RV parts Salvage yards...
The pad you listed is the replacement if the pad upgrade had been previously done. An upgrade for the upgrade...

This is the upgrade for my model number to the latest version:

https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...-1010001131%20

Spendy either way...

I'll come up with a used one or send mine off for repair. Thanks
We Jeep Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
power, power gear



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Issue w/Power Gear Leveler AKwanderers RV Systems & Appliances 4 12-20-2021 12:41 PM
Power gear power leveler issues Badge RV Systems & Appliances 2 10-04-2020 08:24 AM
Power Gear gear slipping on axle. Just a pin holding gear in place? mjeffrey RV Systems & Appliances 2 05-03-2019 09:19 AM
Power gear leveling gear no power BoPeg MH-General Discussions & Problems 5 05-22-2012 09:22 AM
Leaking Power Gear Hydralic Leveler - Help Needed dhind MH-General Discussions & Problems 5 05-02-2007 03:15 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.