Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2014, 10:36 AM   #1

Power gear leveling

The last few times I have leveled the coach on auto the from jacks come down just a few inches and stop. Then the back jacks come down all the way and the front jack stay at couple of inches down the panel in the coach shows level and the jacks down light is on. I can sometimes press off and the back on and retract a start over and the front jacks will deploy properly. Any thoughts thanks
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2014, 11:44 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
This is the same way our levers were reacting when the reservoir fluid level was a little low...especially when the back in site was higher in elevation aft than in the front. Sometimes, blocks under the front jacks would help. Also, the condition seemed to be worse in cooler weather. Go figure.

Simple stuff first, I'd check your fluid level...

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
This is the same way our levers were reacting when the reservoir fluid level was a little low...especially when the back in site was higher in elevation aft than in the front. Sometimes, blocks under the front jacks would help. Also, the condition seemed to be worse in cooler weather. Go figure.

Simple stuff first, I'd check your fluid level...
Let me correct a few typos on my opening post from my iPhone.

The last few times I have leveled the coach on auto the front jacks come down just a few inches and stop. Then the back jacks come down all the way and the front jack stay at couple of inches down. The display in the coach shows level and the jacks down light is on. I can sometimes press off and then back on and then retract and start over and the front jacks will deploy properly. Any thoughts thanks

Update. After my first post I tried again after retracting jacks and starting the process over. Worked perfect this time front jacks deployed fully then the back jacks deployed fully.

I looked at the Fluid Reservoir and the instruction said to check and add fluid if needed when all jacks were retracted. So when I retracted the jacks the fluid level was at the top of the plug where fluid is added. It would not hold another drop. I was in level parking and mild 70 degree weather.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We found that we have much better luck using the manual function to level our coach. No matter how many times we recalibrated "auto," the front was always too high. That said, there is a recalibration procedure for Power Gear levelers. You might try checking the Power Gear website for the recalibration procedure for yours and give it a shot. Or, email Power Gear customer service and see if they can offer any remedy.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:55 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We've had similar problems. Some time the front jacks go to the ground, I get a solid green light, shut the system off...and the two front jacks come up about 2". The last time I leveled the front was fine and the rear two jack were 2" off the ground. I fired up the engine, turned on the PG and pressed "auto" again...and the back two went down, and I was level. Go figure.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:51 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
With our unit the PG instruction say the MH engine must be running in order to provide enough power for the system to properly level the unit.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
With our unit the PG instruction say the MH engine must be running in order to provide enough power for the system to properly level the unit.
Yes I am leveling with the engine running. I did contact PG and their suggestion is to reset the level point by following the following instructions.

Power gear jacks recalibration.pdf

I will give that a try in the next few days when I get back to storage.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Yes I am leveling with the engine running. I did contact PG and their suggestion is to reset the level point by following the following instructions.

Attachment 59658

Here is a followup email from PG support on the question:

If the coach is physically level even without all the jacks on the ground, this would be normal operation. If a jack(s) are not on the ground once it is done leveling you would have to bring any remaining jacks down in manual mode to stabilize the coach. Thank you.

Bill

Power Gear/Kwikee Technical Service
Old 04-01-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post

Attachment 59658

Hah! So I was correct.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:29 AM   #10

Check your dump valve on the PG leveling manifold. Poppet/check needs to be completely closed or you will never develop enough pressure to extend jacks. You can usually switch dump and leg valve cartridge to see if that moves the problem and symptom.
Lambo1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo1000 View Post
Check your dump valve on the PG leveling manifold. Poppet/check needs to be completely closed or you will never develop enough pressure to extend jacks. You can usually switch dump and leg valve cartridge to see if that moves the problem and symptom.
Is that the dump switch in the coach. If not where would that be located and how do you determine if it is closed. Also switch dump and leg valve cartage, how do you do that. thanks
Old 04-04-2014, 05:00 AM   #12

Adonh
The cartridge valves for the dump and leg valves will be mounted on manifold directly coupled to the leveling system pump motor. This is usually mounted behind panels and mounted to the frame of the chassis. If you are unfamiliar with the system, components, and operation please enlist the assistance from a competent mechanic with these skills. You are dealing with dangerous pressures and electrical currents that will cause catastrophic injuries/death to your body and the RV. Lockout procedures should be utilized to release any stored energy and remove power from the system and RV before servicing this system.
Lambo1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, leveling