Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Question Power Gear Leveling Jacks

my power gear jacks when turning on key the pad lights up, when touching the down arrow I can hear a click but jacks do not extend has anyone had this problem? Thank you in advance

1996 Bounder 34J
mtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #2

Is this when the MH is in park and the parking brake is on. What happens then??
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #3

Both a friend and myself have had this problem with '94 Bounders. I've never traced it down but I'm pretty sure that it's an electrical connection problem somewhere on the jack assembly because when I go out there and wiggle the wires, it comes back to life. It also starts working again if I cycle power 2-3 times, and/or cycle the shifter.

But I did replace the solenoid on top of the assembly just recently and haven't had the problem since. The solenoid was 18 years old and all rusted and gunky on the outside...perhaps the contacts were in poor shape too.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I have tried everything I know. Parking brake on, engine running, etc. The jacks were working 1 day and the next day they weren't. I replaced the solenoid with a generic one from autozone, no luck.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtorres
my power gear jacks when turning on key the pad lights up, when touching the down arrow I can hear a click but jacks do not extend has anyone had this problem? Thank you in advance

1996 Bounder 34J
If you don't get an answer today, you can email Power Gear ( today ) and you will have a tech respond early Monday. Their address is info@powergearus.com . Good luck.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Had same problem a while back on my 98 National tradewinds. my problem turned out to be a blown fuse in the chassis fuse block which is labeled "heater", it also turns out it feeds vaccum pump, power seat(which had bare wires and was the cause of the blown fuse). Not sure what part of the leveling system that fuse feeds but it solved the problem. hope this helps
kirkusfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
I got a reply back from Power Gear. Looks like I have a bad solenoid, my question is will a generic 12 volt solenoid work on this system?

Thanks
Old 07-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Power Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Both a friend and myself have had this problem with '94 Bounders. I've never traced it down but I'm pretty sure that it's an electrical connection problem somewhere on the jack assembly because when I go out there and wiggle the wires, it comes back to life. It also starts working again if I cycle power 2-3 times, and/or cycle the shifter.

But I did replace the solenoid on top of the assembly just recently and haven't had the problem since. The solenoid was 18 years old and all rusted and gunky on the outside...perhaps the contacts were in poor shape too.

Did you use a generic 12 volt solenoid? Or did you order one from Power Gear?
Old 07-16-2012, 11:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtorres View Post
Did you use a generic 12 volt solenoid? Or did you order one from Power Gear?
Just used a generic solenoid from an auto parts store. $9. Been working fine now for several months. I'm using an intermittent duty solenoid since it's only used a minute or two once a week or so, don't think that will be a problem. Continuous duty solenoids are around $20.

The one I took out was so rusted and corroded, I couldn't read a number off of it. But the new one is the same case and style as the one I removed.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Well damn the solenoid did not solve the problem. Turns out I do not have power to the solenoid, Afraid it is going to be a control panel.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:27 PM   #11

Surprised you can hear a click when you press a button.

But, never mind that. You can just run your own wire and switch plugged into a hot terminal somewhere to operate the jacks for now. Or at least to test if the controller is causing the problem.

Keep in mind that those Power Gear controllers (not the keypad, but the controller under the dash) have multi-wire connectors that should be inspected and sprayed with contact cleaner.

Tags
jacks, leveling, power