Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2022, 03:50 PM   #1

Power Gear Leveling system

I have one of the earliest Power Gear leveling systems and have a question of anyone who has a similar vintage system

The attached picture shows a red light lite when I turn the system on or shortly after I start to use it. When this happens it Locks the system and nothing can be do after that point. With that in mind I am reluctant to use the levers until I can get an explanation of what is causing that light to light.

Any wiring I have seen from Lippert, current owner of Power Gear who is no help, shows a wire a wire going off to a connection on the Freightliner chassis but no idea where. If there is a connection to the chassis that may be the first place to look. Any ideas?

Another thing that might help is the routine for even using the Power Gear as I have seen that even the newer model are very sensitive to the sequence of operation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0870.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	376144  
HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2022, 01:27 PM   #2

Looks like parking brake light. Maybe check switch on parking brake.
Old 09-12-2022, 01:42 PM   #3

I’m having an intermittent similar issue. Same pad. Following.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 01:57 PM   #4

Is your Airstream land yacht 390 xl a diesel?
What chassis?
What year is your coach?
Does your parking light illuminate on the dashboard?
Do you know the model PG system you have?

Just trying to figure out if it is the parking brake switch that is bad, or a PG connection.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 02:02 PM   #5

Also, try unscrewing the display panel and checking the wire connections. Unplug and plug each to make sure the connections are good.

While you have the panel hanging down, see if you can figure out which wire is the parking brake indicator wire. Color and any markings would be great.
Old 09-12-2022, 03:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I have one of the earliest Power Gear leveling systems and have a question of anyone who has a similar vintage system

The attached picture shows a red light lite when I turn the system on or shortly after I start to use it. When this happens it Locks the system and nothing can be do after that point. With that in mind I am reluctant to use the levers until I can get an explanation of what is causing that light to light.

Any wiring I have seen from Lippert, current owner of Power Gear who is no help, shows a wire a wire going off to a connection on the Freightliner chassis but no idea where. If there is a connection to the chassis that may be the first place to look. Any ideas?

Another thing that might help is the routine for even using the Power Gear as I have seen that even the newer model are very sensitive to the sequence of operation.

What year is yours? Mine is 2002 and on a Spartan chassis. When the power gear pad does weird things and locks up. Sometimes just a single apply parking brake lite, other times multiple flashing lights, I can’t build air in the airbags. My system automatically dumps air when I start leveling. I also have gotten shy of using my levelers anywhere but at home.

The long story is, I am fighting electrical corrosion issues and recently bypassed 2 large bulkhead connectors which cured some other issues I was having and I thought I had cured the leveling system erratic problems, but nope.
Old 09-12-2022, 03:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Looks like parking brake light. Maybe check switch on parking brake.

Where would that be on a 2002 Spartan chassis?
Old 09-12-2022, 05:32 PM   #8

The Original Poster, HowieE, profile shows he has a Airstream Land Yacht 390 xl.
Old 09-12-2022, 07:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
The Original Poster, HowieE, profile shows he has a Airstream Land Yacht 390 xl.

Agreed
Old 09-13-2022, 08:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Is your Airstream land yacht 390 xl a diesel?
What chassis? Freightliner
What year is your coach? 2000
Does your parking light illuminate on the dashboard? Yes
Do you know the model PG system you have? The control panel is 500 535

Just trying to figure out if it is the parking brake switch that is bad, or a PG connection.

There is a bulletin from PG that shows the wiring for installation on a Freightliner chassis. It shows the installation of a standard 30 amp auto relay connecting to a chassis harness under the dash. Problem is I don't bend or fit in the spaces I used to. If I can get to that relay I can at least check voltages and determine if the problem is on the FL or PG side.

I have read on some of the newer PG systems that the control panel has to think for a few seconds before you can attempt to use the jacks. With that in mind I have tried to figure out a sequence that works. So far if I drop the air, turn on the ignition, wait a few seconds I have been able to get the jacks to extend. I have not attempted to level the coach yet preferring to do a little more experimenting before that commitment. If I can repeatably get to this extent without setting the red light on I will go for broke.
Old 09-13-2022, 02:37 PM   #11

I saw a 2003 PG to Freightliner electrical hookup wiring diagram on PW web site. This may be the same for your 2000 coach or maybe not. Maybe it could help.

It shows a relay, but not for the parking brake wire. The parking wire (white/blue goes from the PG control panel to Freightliners 125 park brake
red wire.

Unfortunately to get to it you have to be a contortionist because it is under the dashboard inside a wire bundle.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...psheet0196.pdf
Old 09-13-2022, 05:03 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Power gear uses the park brake switch for a ground. The panel is not grounded until the park brake switch goes to ground and the park brake light is on.
You have lost the connection to the switch. You can still have a park brake on light but a bad connection to the panel.
You can see on the panel it says to engage the park brake.
Old 09-18-2022, 09:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Power gear uses the park brake switch for a ground. The panel is not grounded until the park brake switch goes to ground and the park brake light is on.
You have lost the connection to the switch. You can still have a park brake on light but a bad connection to the panel.
You can see on the panel it says to engage the park brake.

When you say "panel" are you referring to the panel I originally post here or the PG control box bolted to the underside of the floor.

I have the diagram posted above but could use some idea as the where that relay is located. If I can get to the relay I have a chance of testing out the circuit from there.
Old 09-18-2022, 01:36 PM   #14

Some progress

Well I finally got under the dash and what a mess. Red wire is the dominat color and I assume they are all 12 volts. However there is no evidence of an auto relay. There are 2 auto relays on the fire wall but the installation is far too professional for Airstream and no wires that follow the expected color code.

Picture attached of the mess and the underside of the PG control panel.

I did remove the PG control panel and cycled the connector several times as it looked that it might be lose. The retention clip on one end of the connector was not locking so I held it firmly in place with a tie wrap. After that I turned the ignition on and waited for the truck control panel to cycle. Then I attempted to operate the jacks. They worked and did not set the red light on. did this 5 or 6 times without a problem.

Not quite ready to call it a win but having combined the comments to date on the operation it may be.

I hate to fix something without a defined and repeatable problem.

Will say my thanks for a couple more testing.

Tags
power, power gear, leveling