Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2021, 05:38 AM   #1

Power Gear Motor Sealing

My 2014 AC Revolution's jacks are powered by an electric motor driving hydraulic fluid. The motor is currently undergoing its second replacement due to rust/wet/corrosion. I replaced it at about 4 years of age and that was 4 years ago. Its toast again.

My question: Has anyone tried sealing up one of these motors with caulk and/or fabricating a gasket for where it sits on the pump? I'm tempted but don't want to cause overheating or some other unforeseen issue.

Let me tag on a photo to help visualize what I'm talking about.

Click image for larger version

Name:	power gear motor.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	329474

As you can see or imagine, there are multiple points where moisture could enter the motor: at the base where it attaches to the pump, at the adjustment screws around the body, where the main body meets the silver bit at the top, the smaller metal cap that is screwed on to the top, and the plastic cap at the very top that allows access to the bolt to drive the motor externally.

My guess-timate is that the most likely entry point for moisture is at the base. I'm afraid though that if I just seal that and water gets in another way, it'll be trapped in there or potentially drain through the pump bearing into the reservoir.

Anyway, at this point I'm looking for the wisdom of all and preferably of someone who has sealed the motor and succeeded in preventing recurrent failure due to moisture.

Thanks in advance for all insight provided...
skyshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2021, 06:52 AM   #2

My electric leveler motors are sprayed with flex seal and inside a plastic bag zip tied. Working for years now.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:04 AM   #3

I too just replaced my Lippert pump and reservoir assembly. Motor was seized on the bearing and heavily corroded. I wonder if spray painting it every couple years would help, or maybe the battery cable protectant spray? There was a post on here from another member that fabricated a cover to stop wheel spray from getting up onto this assembly. It's a shame the factory didn't put it in a protective enclosure.
Old 05-25-2021, 08:13 AM   #4

I had a similar issue years ago with a DC motor on a piece of farm machinery. I took apart the motor, cleaned it up and used RTV on the end bell joints and mounting screws. It has been running for 5 years since.

Don't worry about the motor overheating. It runs far to short a time to build up a lot of internal heat.

So you have three options. 1. Take the motor assembly apart and seal all joints and bolt openings (most time consuming but probably the most permanent approach). 2. Seal/coat the exterior joints and bolts with something. Make sure it's durable for exterior mechanical wear. 3. A shroud or cover of some kind. Probably the least difficult option but needs to be carefully fitted of course.

Good luck!
Russ-USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:04 PM   #5

A while back we had a 2000 National RV Seaview that had an issue with the Power Gear leveling system. The motor was whining a little and becoming slow.

I pulled the whole setup out, drained it, and cleaned it. When I went to put the whole setup back to together I decide to seal it up because of all the crude I found inside the motor, planetary gears, and reservoir. National RV, at the time, was putting the leveling system setup behind the front grill of the MH. This is where all the crude was coming from.

So, I sealed everything and everywhere I thought the crude was getting into. I used some RTV and never had another problem. The motor never over heated or made another noise.
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, power, power gear, seal