Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2020, 07:31 PM   #1

Power issue when use shore power

So when I use generator power is fine but when I plug in shore power i get 240 at breaker panel but when I turn on any breakers power goes freaky put meter on it and one leg drops to 70 volt other goes to 245 but shut off breaker and goes back to normal 120 on both legs don't get it please help
Oilman04957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2020, 07:57 PM   #2

Probably need more info on what unit you have--make/model/year?

Based on your username--how's the oilfield doing?
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:59 PM   #3

Bad neutral ( white ) wire connection somewhere.

Its what keeps the voltage in balance.

Check the outlet, plug, auto transfer switch, cord real, and white wire in breaker panel.

Carefully with your problem, you can burn things up.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:42 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
If you are reading from each of the positive poles you should get 240. I assume you have a 50 amp RV plug. Read from one positive to the common and you should get 120 Read from the other positive to the common you should get 120. the ground position is the round prong the two vertical prongs opposite each other are the two positives the other prong opposite the round prong is the ground. I would start at the source of the shore power pedestal or just outlet and make sure the voltage is correct there. If it is check where the power cord connects to the transfer switch. The positive wires should be red and black the common would be white and the ground green or a bare copper wire. Check the voltage where the power cord connects to the transfer switch. It should read the same as mentioned above. It would help if you tell us what lines are giving you those strange reading. The fact that the generator is providing correct power would indicate that the transfer switch is working correctly when disconnected from shore power. I can not imagine how you could get the readings past the transfer switch.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Check the outlet, plug, auto transfer switch, cord real, and white wire in breaker panel.

YEP^^^^^
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:00 PM   #6

Power issue when use shore power

The condition is called a floating neutral which can cause either leg to be 0-240volts. Carefully fix before you destroy whatever may be in the greatest leg. If the voltage is correct between neutral and each leg inside the transfer switch the the problem is between it and the main panel. With all power sources disconnected look for loose connections. Tighten all to be sure
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:06 PM   #7

You won't be able to check with a volt meter.

Without any load, the voltage will be even, 120 on each leg. It only goes out of balance, one high and the other low, when one leg has a load on it. That's already been determined.

You need to find a bad connection ( resistance ) in the white ( neutral ) wire.

There is no positive or negetive in AC current.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:49 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
This might be a long shot but last winter we were in a park in Arizona plugged into 50 amp service and my wife overloaded a circuit (happened a few times) running electric heater and the microwave and it generally popped a breaker.
This one time however this happened again, no problem, reset the breaker, nope, not it, searched all over testing with my volt meter and got all sorts of strange readings then traced it down to my inverter. Pulled the little panel off the end on the bottom of the inverter and wiggled the wires and got some sparks!! HOLY CRAP!! Unplugged the power and pulled out the wires and this is what I found, solid core wire spliced to stranded wire with wire nuts. They don't work so good for this so I used some really good heat shrink butt connectors to fix it and everything was good. Glad the RV didn't burn down!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_4072.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	306436  
Old 10-30-2020, 12:50 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Oh by the way, this was on our old coach, not the Monaco we just bought.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:05 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilman04957 View Post
So when I use generator power is fine but when I plug in shore power i get 240 at breaker panel but when I turn on any breakers power goes freaky put meter on it and one leg drops to 70 volt other goes to 245 but shut off breaker and goes back to normal 120 on both legs don't get it please help
I would start with the shore power source. Try a different source.
Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:01 AM   #11

Think I going to run new wire from panel to shore pole plug i thought it was just my transfer switch so I replaced it but have not plugged shore power back in don't want to burn it up if I got bad power going to it oh by the way this is at my home not camping ty for all help
Old 10-30-2020, 05:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

How do you check for floating neutral i have un plugged shore line and did continuity and seemed fine
Old 10-30-2020, 05:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Probably need more info on what unit you have--make/model/year?

Based on your username--how's the oilfield doing?
Have a Harney coach 1999 37 ft renegade casagrande
Old 10-30-2020, 05:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
If you are reading from each of the positive poles you should get 240. I assume you have a 50 amp RV plug. Read from one positive to the common and you should get 120 Read from the other positive to the common you should get 120. the ground position is the round prong the two vertical prongs opposite each other are the two positives the other prong opposite the round prong is the ground. I would start at the source of the shore power pedestal or just outlet and make sure the voltage is correct there. If it is check where the power cord connects to the transfer switch. The positive wires should be red and black the common would be white and the ground green or a bare copper wire. Check the voltage where the power cord connects to the transfer switch. It should read the same as mentioned above. It would help if you tell us what lines are giving you those strange reading. The fact that the generator is providing correct power would indicate that the transfer switch is working correctly when disconnected from shore power. I can not imagine how you could get the readings past the transfer switch.
Getting these readings in circuit breaker box in rv

Tags
power, shore power