Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2015, 05:04 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Power issue with newmar, newbie

Help with new owner. Electical problem. I just got a 2003 Newmar Mountain Aire. 38 ft. gas. Chevy engine. Love it so far. Purchased 5 weeks ago and spent 3 weeks in backyard learning unit. Used generator 2 weeks with no problem. Kept it connected to normal 110 between times to keep batteries charged. 3rd weekend had 50 amp connection put in so we hooked to this and it was wonderful and quiet without generator. All working well. Gassed up and went to mountains this weekend with no issues. Had 50 amp hook up, no generator needed. Took all apart to leave today and no issues. Going down the road my wife went to restroom and no water pump. I had her try other switch and control panel over door is out. No inside power at all. Lights, pumps fridge all is out. Stopped and could not find anyting out of ordinary. Checked battery disconnect switch on panel over door and nothing. Still no lights. Cut on generator and in about 15 seconds power back on. Ran it awhile and cut it off and all went dead again. Went on home and hooked to shore power and it all worked again. Nothing was on including steps to get out door. If I ran generaror or hooked to shore it was fine but once I cut on engine only it all died. No issues running motor home or dash or generator, only cabin power. Help before I go broke as a shop please. I am not an electrician but somewhat handy so make your help simple please. Thanks for any help guys. Excited about first trip though it was great.
revrick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2015, 05:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Do you what is called a "salesman" switch that cuts off all 12 volt power in the coach. We have a switch like this mounted near the front door and on occasion it get accidently hit and we loose all lights etc.

This is a link to the type of solenoid that the switch controls.
WHITE RODGERS 120-901 CONTACTOR, SPST-NO, 12VDC, 100A, BRACKET: Electronic Components: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
The solenoid itself is located near the battery bank.

These solenoids do go bad, easy to check. You should see 12 volts on both sides of the solenoid if the salesman switch is on and only on one side if the salesman switch is off.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:34 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Either bad batteries or disconnect solenoid. When plugged in or running generator the converter is working supplying 12 volt coach power.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:24 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Batteries are only 1 year old. Checked batter disconnect switch on power panel and nothing yet. Power panel is dead when this happens, no lights on anyting.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
Either bad batteries or disconnect solenoid. When plugged in or running generator the converter is working supplying 12 volt coach power.
Agree. If you have a volt meter, get a reading from your house batteries. I think they are dead.

Fred
Old 11-29-2015, 06:37 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Will check volts tomorrow when light, if they are okay where is the solenoid at to check it, can I jump across it to check it also.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrick3 View Post
Will check volts tomorrow when light, if they are okay where is the solenoid at to check it, can I jump across it to check it also.
Wish I could help you about the solenoid location. Hopefully, someone with a 2003 Newmar Mountain Aire or similar Newmar will jump in with the location for you.

If you don't get any responses, you might want to make a post on the Newmar Owners forum on this web site.

Fred
Old 11-29-2015, 06:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrick3 View Post
The solenoid can be found under the engine hood, at the front of the MH. Prop open the hood and a large box (with plexiglas cover) should be found on the drivers side, mounted up high. I think the suspect solenoid is inside this box with the clear cover.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:05 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Thanks for all of the advice. Checked battery power this am and 12.8 on both batteries connected to shore power as well as the same volt disconnected. Puzzled me then so I slid out my batteries and just started looking, did not see any loose connections then I noticed a large red cable laying down behind battery box. Pulled it up and it had corroded off the positive post in the back battery. Checked post and sure enough the end was still under the nut but not visible from front. Now that has to be my issue. Hopefully just get a new end put on this cable and reconnect to batteries and start it all up. You guys are great help. Thanks Rick

Tags
newbie, newmar, power