Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2021, 03:08 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Power issues

2020 PaceArrow

Weirdest thing happening.

Generator will only fun for 5-10 minutes before I lose all power. Genset turns off. Control panel is dead. All lights don’t work. I have to start the chassis to use that chasis battery to start the genset and start the entire cycle over again.

Control panel is showing 12.6V on coach batteries (when the control panel is working)

Here’s the old thing. I’m sitting in my RV right now with no power. No lights. But I can turn the inverter on and run the fridge.

Where do I start to troubleshoot?!?
tmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2021, 03:53 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Now plugged into shore power. Fridge and microwave on. Lights still not working. Control panel not on
Old 01-29-2021, 04:10 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
The problem sounds like it's only on the 12 volt side, maybe check the breaker on the inverter? Mine is a small red switch on the front of the inverter, or connections at the 12v fuse panel.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:17 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
But it will run for a period of time on the genset before kicking off. The shore power will not work at all.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:28 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Your transfer switch defaults to the gen set, but should switch automatically when plugged into shore power. The fact your appliances work on the invereter and genset means the invereter is good, but if the switch was stuck you wouldn't get shore power, however that doesnt explain your 12volt lights not working.The lights should turn on directly from your house batteries, is your battery disconnect switch working properly?
Old 01-29-2021, 04:51 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
It could be that your transfer switch is toast and not allowing your inverter/charger to maintain your house batteries while plugged in , which in turn has caused your house batteries to die , but they will show a charge while the generator is running and charging them , with my limited electrical knowledge I cant think of anything other than tou may have two issues at once, transfer switch is bad and your house batteries are dead. Hope you find an answer...pls update when you get it sorted !
Old 01-29-2021, 04:56 PM   #7

12 volts has nothing to do with the transfer switch , don't go there !!

Your house battery powers your house loads and generator running.

It also powers your inverter but with a different set of cables.

Start at the house battery and check both the + and - connections for tightness.
Follow all cables to where you can and check the connections there too.

Switch the battery disconnect switch on and off to find that. Then check the connections there.
The " battery disconnect " is the switch near the side door and it controls the house battery loads ( but not the inverter in most cases ).

You have a loose connection or bad solenoid.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 04:59 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
12 volts has nothing to do with the transfer switch , don't go there !!

Your house battery powers your house loads and generator running.

It also powers your inverter but with a different set of cables.

Start at the house battery and check both the + and - connections for tightness.
Follow all cables to where you can and check the connections there too.

Switch the battery disconnect switch on and off to find that. Then check the connections there.
The " battery disconnect " is the switch near the side door and it controls the house battery loads ( but not the inverter in most cases ).

You have a loose connection or bad solenoid.
The OP explained he had no power while plugged into shore on the 110 side, that could explain a bad transfer switch.
Thewellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:25 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Update. Still waiting for a volt meter to show up. 4 batteries, it would seem 2 are working, 2 are dead. Plugged into shore power. Fridge and microwave are working. Lights and control panel not working.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:30 PM   #10

If you have two defective batteries in the circuit, they will pull all of the power from the two good ones. Take the bad batteries out of the circuit.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewellz View Post
The OP explained he had no power while plugged into shore on the 110 side, that could explain a bad transfer switch.
He has power, fridge and microwave work.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:11 PM   #12

Two batteries are most likely start batteries and the other 2 are house batteries.

Your house batteries are probably dead.

Take a picture of your batteries and post it.

Find your inverter/charger and check the circuit breakers on it. Not in the breaker panel, but underneath in a cabinet.

They are small and often hidden on the side of the inverter/charger case. See if one of them is tripped.

If tripped , reset, start engine, and let it run for a half hour so that the engine charges the house batteries. At some point the inverter/charger will take over.

Inverter/chargers will NOT charge dead batteries.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:58 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
So here is where I’m at. I have 4 coach batteries. 6v, 2 in series, each pair in parallel . It would seem from the replies that at least 1 battery on one side that feeds the lights is bad. The batteries feeding the fridge is good.

Right now I’m idling the engine because that gives me power. I’ll do that this weekend and then take it in for warranty work.
tmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:00 AM   #14

Your genny will have a small 12v charge circuit but needs a good battery for exciting circuit.
Inverters won't charge or operate on dead batteries . Check inverter feed circuit breaker in CB panel as well as small button CBs on inverter.
You should also look for loose or burnt wires in transfer switch. If screw down connectors are burnt you could use wire nuts instead until you get replacement ATS or new strip. Are you sure no 120v or only what's through the inverter pass through CBs. If you have pole power available I would look to get that working over genny issues that may be more than a battery issue. You will still need a working 12v battery for most systems lights .ATS could be bypassed totally if it's a contactor / relay issue.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power