Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #1

Power issues both shore and generator

Happy Holidays my fellow RV crew!

I have an electrical problem with my 1995 Monaco Dynasty. I have 30 amp shore power connected and the RV is setup for 50. Anyways, 30 has been fine until we tripped it a few times. We learned over a few months what could and couldn’t be used at the same time. I reset shore power breaker and it kept tripping even after we tried unplugging things. Got to the point where I only had a toaster oven turned on and it flipped the outside breaker. So I figured to shore breaker was going bad so I went and replaced it. I turned on my dryer and it ran for a few minutes before tripping again. After a few times through this I decided to try my generator. Right when power hit it tripped my generator too. We unplugged everything now and it’ll still trip shore but now the generator doesn’t trip but we have zero power with it on and it doesn’t charge batteries.

Some dumb things I did that left out during this.....when I was flipping on shore power couple times I forgot to turn off the dryer. So it would trip instantly. And now it’ll trip no matter what.
House batteries have some power left but nothing charges them now. Even with generator on I get no charging. Any tips on where to start diagnosing my problem would be helpful. I’m new to the full time RV life. Everyday I learn something new.

Ron C
1995 Monaco Dynasty
RvforRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2020, 02:39 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RvforRc View Post
Happy Holidays my fellow RV crew!

I have an electrical problem with my 1995 Monaco Dynasty. I have 30 amp shore power connected and the RV is setup for 50. Anyways, 30 has been fine until we tripped it a few times. We learned over a few months what could and couldn’t be used at the same time. I reset shore power breaker and it kept tripping even after we tried unplugging things. Got to the point where I only had a toaster oven turned on and it flipped the outside breaker. So I figured to shore breaker was going bad so I went and replaced it. I turned on my dryer and it ran for a few minutes before tripping again. After a few times through this I decided to try my generator. Right when power hit it tripped my generator too. We unplugged everything now and it’ll still trip shore but now the generator doesn’t trip but we have zero power with it on and it doesn’t charge batteries.

Some dumb things I did that left out during this.....when I was flipping on shore power couple times I forgot to turn off the dryer. So it would trip instantly. And now it’ll trip no matter what.
House batteries have some power left but nothing charges them now. Even with generator on I get no charging. Any tips on where to start diagnosing my problem would be helpful. I’m new to the full time RV life. Everyday I learn something new.

Ron C
1995 Monaco Dynasty
While unplugged and no generator running, open up your transfer switch box and look inside. Possibly a loose connection or possibly worse that will need a new transfer switch. Post a picture so we can help.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:05 PM   #3

Sounds like your batteries are dry and dead, causing your charger to work hard.

That can be taking power away from your other stuff.

Have you looked at them ? Check water ?
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:46 PM   #4

Ditto on transfer box, you may have fried wiring or contactors.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:52 AM   #5

go to your power distribution panel and turn all circuit breakers off, including the main breaker. plug into shore power and see if the pedestal breaker holds. then turn on your main breaker in the power panel and see if it holds. then turn one branch breaker on and see if it holds. then turn it off and turn on another branch breaker. repeat until you have gone through all branch breakers. if anything trips with only one branch breaker on you know where the problem is coming from. if nothing trips make an educated guess and turn a couple of branch breakers on and see what happens.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
go to your power distribution panel and turn all circuit breakers off, including the main breaker. plug into shore power and see if the pedestal breaker holds. then turn on your main breaker in the power panel and see if it holds. then turn one branch breaker on and see if it holds. then turn it off and turn on another branch breaker. repeat until you have gone through all branch breakers. if anything trips with only one branch breaker on you know where the problem is coming from. if nothing trips make an educated guess and turn a couple of branch breakers on and see what happens.
Good way to proceed, IMO^^.

If you haven't done so, reset your breakers on the generator and see if that gets you power to your batteries. Also, check your inverter/converter and reset any breakers once the generator is running.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 04:24 PM   #7

Update in the power situation

Hey everyone. Thank you for the tips and info. I was busy with work and just now got the free time to start the hunt for this power issue. So I tried Bigchicks suggestion. Turned off all breakers inside including the main 50 amp, and after a couple mintutes when the power tries to hit, it flips the shore breaker. Which leads me to believe it’s the transfer switch? I located the switch in the lower storage compartment and took pictures.

The first pic I noticed that this power button on the box was turned off. I turned back on and pushed the fuse resets and nothing changed. Shore breaker flipped. The other two pictures are what I assume would be the transfer switch? I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for so I took pictures. From here I don't know where to go. First off, which box will I find the transfer switch and after that how do I test to see if it's done for?

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	power off switch.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	313350   Click image for larger version

Name:	managment box.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	323.8 KB
ID:	313351  

Click image for larger version

Name:	transfer.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	313352  
Old 01-03-2021, 04:33 PM   #8

I checked out the batteries and they check out. Full of water and less than a year old.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:38 PM   #9

Do you have a manual for the " ESCO , ES50 , Transfer switch " ?
Old 01-03-2021, 04:39 PM   #10

With all power off, open the ESS50 box and looks for burnt wires.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 04:43 PM   #11

The grey box is your transfer switch, open and inspect wiring.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 04:43 PM   #12

Your at a point needing to isolate each circuit and better yet measure the current it draws. BTW when you connect power either shore or generator your charger will ramp up and sometimes it can draw significant amount of power even if the battery is fully charged.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 04:52 PM   #13

Your pictures - One says EMS-HW-50C that is a power surge protector and it will disconnect power if there are issues. I should not trip a breaker unless it is broken. Here is a link to the company https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw50c

The box that says transfer is the transfer switch. I would open it and make sure wires are tight and nothing is burned. Make sure all power is disconnected as this has 120VAC.

I do not know what the other image is with out a better picture of the rest of it.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:04 PM   #14

Go into settings on your inverter control panel. Set the input for 30 amps. Go to charger settings and limit it to 20 amps. See if things work after charging the batteries at a lower current.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, power