Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Power issues. The rig won't start and other 12V problems.

Went to try and start my coach today only to find I have no 12V chassis power. I'm on shore power right now and have 120V power to the coach. Checked the power level of the chassis batts 13.5ish so that’s good but I can't seem to be able to get the power out of the batts.
I've checked the coach disconnect switch, this could be part of the problem, one of my wheel chalks was against the switch, so the switch looked like it was half on, half off. The coach switch was unaffected. As well as being unable to start the coach, tried using the Battery Boost switch it had no effect. I have no power to the 12V the aux outlets, things like the window fans, headlights etc. don't work either. Just to add a wrinkle, there is power to the dash radio.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #2

Hmmm.

The half on/half off situation of the switch was probably not good for the solenoid.

Those devices are 'momentary power' to open, again to close. Having continuous power could burn out the coil after a short period. Minutes.

So, I'd recommend you test for proper operation of that solenoid. But only after you have checked all your fuses.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #3

If the chassis battery switch is the style that rotates, try cycling it a dozen times back and forth (on and off) to clean the contacts. If still no power, use a meter or test light to follow the power from the battery and see where you loose it.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for your reply. Where might I find this solenoid? And would a faulty solenoid explain the lack of 12V power to the rest the 12V subsystems.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
If the chassis battery switch is the style that rotates, try cycling it a dozen times back and forth (on and off) to clean the contacts. If still no power, use a meter or test light to follow the power from the battery and see where you loose it.
It's your standard on/off type switch. Normally when I make the switch I hear a click, more like a thunk, when the solenoid engages. I'm not hearing that.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
It's your standard on/off type switch. Normally when I make the switch I hear a click, more like a thunk, when the solenoid engages. I'm not hearing that.
Start looking where that "thunk" sound came from. When you find the solenoid you can jump across the two large lugs to verify that you've found the right solenoid. use something like battery jumper cables.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Start looking where that "thunk" sound came from. When you find the solenoid you can jump across the two large lugs to verify that you've found the right solenoid. use something like battery jumper cables.
Thank you for you reply, there in lays the rub, I can't recall where I heard it comming from. Look's like a day of chaseing down wire runs tomorrow.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Unplug shore power and see if the generator will start. There might be a rocker switch on the dash left of steering wheel that you might have accidentally bump to the off position. Happen to me once after leaning against dash with my knee getting stuff out of overhead compartment. Good luck.
Hammer Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've located what looks like a solenoid behind the circut board in the Battery Charge Controller fuse box. Could that be the solenoid in question?
Old 06-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Down View Post
Unplug shore power and see if the generator will start. There might be a rocker switch on the dash left of steering wheel that you might have accidentally bump to the off position. Happen to me once after leaning against dash with my knee getting stuff out of overhead compartment. Good luck.
Thank you for your reply. Tried your idea, the generator will start.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
Thank you for your reply. Where might I find this solenoid? And would a faulty solenoid explain the lack of 12V power to the rest the 12V subsystems.
In older RVs, there is a box named the BCC (battery control center) that is usually very near the batteries. Sometimes in the same compartment. There are 2X solenoids that look like they have a top hat, and another one or two that look like a standard automotive start solenoid in a silver case.

The 2 top hat types are the momentary Off/On devices. If the house solenoid is stuck in Open position, you will not have 12V to the house subsystems, like lights, and if the chassis solenoid is stuck Open, then chassis type devices, like the steps, won't work.

Once you find them, measure the voltage on the large terminals on each side of the solenoid. (You could also remove the small wires and measure the resistance of the coils). Have an assistant operate (press & release) the Main & Aux switches (usually next to the main door of the RV) one at a time while you listen. If you hear a clunk but the voltage doesn't change, there's the culprit. No clunk would mean a bad connection, bad solenoid coil, or bad switch. If you don't have an assistant, you can remove the small wires and using a length of wire, jumper those terminals to battery directly. The wire colors should give you an idea of polarity.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:37 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
In older RVs, there is a box named the BCC (battery control center) that is usually very near the batteries. Sometimes in the same compartment. There are 2X solenoids that look like they have a top hat, and another one or two that look like a standard automotive start solenoid in a silver case.

The 2 top hat types are the momentary Off/On devices. If the house solenoid is stuck in Open position, you will not have 12V to the house subsystems, like lights, and if the chassis solenoid is stuck Open, then chassis type devices, like the steps, won't work.

Once you find them, measure the voltage on the large terminals on each side of the solenoid. (You could also remove the small wires and measure the resistance of the coils). Have an assistant operate (press & release) the Main & Aux switches (usually next to the main door of the RV) one at a time while you listen. If you hear a clunk but the voltage doesn't change, there's the culprit. No clunk would mean a bad connection, bad solenoid coil, or bad switch. If you don't have an assistant, you can remove the small wires and using a length of wire, jumper those terminals to battery directly. The wire colors should give you an idea of polarity.
Hi Jim_HiTek Thanks for the info, great stuff. My coach is a 2011, does your response apply the same?
Old 06-10-2012, 05:49 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
More than likely you will have a BCC. It might be configured different than the older units, but some method will be required to connect and disconnect the batteries. I would go to the Intellitec WEB site and poke around. I have attached the Intellitec Control Solenoid service manual and I hope that will help. If you do have an Intellitec system, they were very helpful when I had the same problem with the switch being activated all winter when something was thrown in carelessly by myself. Lesson learned. Good Luck, Ed

PS: the two small terminals have NO Polarity. Connecting them one way opens the Solenoid and the other way closes the solenoid. You have to hook a ground wire and a +12 volt wire to make the solenoid work.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 5322019100.pdf (379.4 KB, 62 views)
Old 06-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #14

Unfortunantly the Intellitec WEB site has been down for over a week. I think they were redesigning it and designed it out of existance.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power