Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2021, 03:11 PM   #1

Power lift bed problems and question

I am just sharing an experience we are having with the power lift bed in our 2016 Journey 42E. This rv has a bedroom slide. The bed is mounted on that side. It has a platform that lifts the head of the bed so that the footprint of the bed is smaller and will fit when the slide comes in. There is a sensor that locks the slide open if the bed is not raised.

We have been having odd problems with the bed for some time, and today it culminated with the bed only raising part way and stopping. The slide lockout is stopping that slide from coming in, so we're stuck. Family vacation cancelled.

We had a very good RV tech come out. He had to completely dismantle the bed and the platform but then discovered that the teeth in the gears on one side were nearly gone, and some from the gears on the other side. Because the gear teeth were missing, the bed could only lift so far and then stopped. He will be ordering the gear plates, gear axle and motor.

I have not seen any other posts anywhere where the bed would only go up part way. I thought it might be unusual enough to post it here. These pictures are of the gear plates (I'm guessing at the name) with the missing teeth.

I do have a question. Can anyone advise me where the sensor is for the bedroom slide on this rv? I can't find any information on that. If we have to leave in a weather emergency, we're really going to need to be able to disable that sensor. We can manually raise the bed enough for the slides to close, but not enough to satisfy the sensor. I hope this makes sense!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10-21-21 rv bed problens_1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	305.3 KB
ID:	346760   Click image for larger version

Name:	10-21-21 rv bed problens_3.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	319.0 KB
ID:	346761  

Name:	10-21-21 rv bed problens_4.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	332.1 KB
ID:	346762  
WarEagle2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2021, 07:02 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Our friends also have a Journey with the sliding bed. It's been an issue since new. There issue is the sensor constantly acts up and the bed won't lift.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:09 AM   #3

The "plate gear" is a rack, the round gear is a pinion, the same as in rack and pinion steering.

If there's a limit switch to stop movement of the bed and allow the slide to move it will most likely be where there's the most movement, in this case near where the head of the bed stops. It's probably not very large and could be magnetic, looking like a small plastic tube with wires.

It could also be built into the circuitry of the controller. When the rotor of a motor stops turning because it's reached the end of possible movement current flow increases. The circuit detects that increase and cuts power.

It's hard to tell what happened to cause that damage, but that's a real mess. I don't know if teeth are missing or just so worn that there's not enough metal left to engage, it just rolls through.

They should be lubed and cleaned periodically. There's a lot going on as gear teeth transfer power, they're sliding together and pushing at the same time. The contact surface can be very small and shouldn't be dry.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:00 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the same system in my Discovery. Mine would have chrewed up the gears a long time ago if I hadn't worked on it. Everything was loose, I bolted and screwed it down tight. Lubricated it. Adjusted it to make less noise.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:35 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
With the bed disassembled you should be able to see the limit switch. On my Adventurer, which is very similar, the switch is center left 1/2 the way up from the bottom.

It’s fairly easy to spot and you should see two yellow wires connected to it. You can bypass the switch by removing the the two wires and connecting them together, as that’s all the switch does.

By the way, with Winnebago wiring all 12v positive is yellow and negative is white.

Winnebago has full parts and wiring diagrams available at the website under the Owners tab.

Here’s a link to the 3D interactive parts list that includes the bed. You can move around and zoom in on the switch. It takes some getting used to working the 3D motion.

https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/2015/189800.htm

Also here’s a screen shot of the switch viewed on the 3D parts list the switch is highlighted in yellow. You are viewing under the bed as if the whole bed was tilted up from the left and sitting on the right side edge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4516AC0E-A2A5-47A1-8F54-142E3521011A.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	346859  
Old 10-23-2021, 09:04 AM   #6

Thank you all, very much for this great information. We honestly didn't know this equipment was even there, much less that it needs to be maintained! This information will give us a lot to look into and understand. Thanks again. This is such a wonderful group and resource.
WarEagle2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 03:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I have the same system in my Discovery. Mine would have chrewed up the gears a long time ago if I hadn't worked on it. Everything was loose, I bolted and screwed it down tight. Lubricated it. Adjusted it to make less noise.

It’s hard to tell what the rack is made of but I can say I’ve never seen one machined that way. Agree that getting the right mesh is critical, but you may want to also consider a softer material for the pinion to prevent the rack from getting destroyed.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, power, problem, problems