Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Power on or off

Plan to leave our 2013 adventurer on an RV Pad for the next for the next 4 months. We will be there every 3 or 4 weeks. I know to put the slides in, but what are the advantages and disadvantages of leaving the power on or off. Thanks for your replies.
jimlaurielucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #2

A couple advantages your batteries will stay charged and you can leave fridge on.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #3

Power on= refrig on and cooling. If it is hot the AC will keep it nicer inside and keep the humidity down. T%urn water heater off along with the water supply to RV.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
If I had that option, I would hook up. Then turn everything off except for trickle charging both battery banks. Do buy a quality trickle charger suitable for the amperage of the batteries.

For long-term storage I can recommend the Miser Caps for batteries that are not maintenance free. This way you will loose less acid/fluid than with your regular battery caps. I have tried them for long term storage and they really work.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is almost like a storage scenario. If you have a multi stage charger, you can leave it plugged in but I'd worry about the batteries anyway. You didn't say what type they are or what kind of charger, or where you'd be leaving the coach. All those things can make a difference. The convenience of leaving the fridge and a/c on is nice but there's more to it than that. When I leave ours in storage, I shut off batteries to both the chassis and coach and they're always fine when we return. If I were you, that's the advice I'd give. In any case, turn off the water when you leave (also the water heater)- as others have mentioned. Have a great time.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlaurielucy View Post
Plan to leave our 2013 adventurer on an RV Pad for the next for the next 4 months. We will be there every 3 or 4 weeks. I know to put the slides in, but what are the advantages and disadvantages of leaving the power on or off. Thanks for your replies.
jimlaurielucy
We leave our coach sit in our yard plugged into a 15A receptacle, (with which the on board inverter charger automatically maintains the house batteries).
After parking it I simply make sure everything, (whether 120VAC, 12VDC or LP), is OFF or unplugged, (except the inverter/charger).
I've done that every year, (sometimes for as long as 6 months at a time), for 14 years.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:21 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
jimlaurielucy
We leave our coach sit in our yard plugged into a 15A receptacle, (with which the on board inverter charger automatically maintains the house batteries).
After parking it I simply make sure everything, (whether 120VAC, 12VDC or LP), is OFF or unplugged, (except the inverter/charger).
I've done that every year, (sometimes for as long as 6 months at a time), for 14 years.
Mel
'96 Safari
Same here. Ours is in a garage in a boat storage faciltiy with power. Inverter/charger (charger only) is on, everything else off.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #8

Pull grounds to coach and chassis batteries and leave it unplugged. I wouldn't feel safe leaving mine plugged in and be gone for weeks at a time. But then I store mine at my house and see it every day.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:45 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Power on or off

My 2013 Adventurer which I bought new in Dec 2012, has been hooked up to 50 amp in my barn every day that it is not being used. This includes two winters. I have added water to the batteries once.

I run the air or heat year round to keep the interior temperatures within a reasonable window, say 40F or so in the winter and 79F or so in the summer. I don't think most of the motorhome interiors like a huge swing in temps or humidity.

I certainly would make sure the fresh water tank and holding tanks were treated properly after emptying them of course.
khogle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by khogle2 View Post
My 2013 Adventurer which I bought new in Dec 2012, has been hooked up to 50 amp in my barn every day that it is not being used. This includes two winters. I have added water to the batteries once.

I run the air or heat year round to keep the interior temperatures within a reasonable window, say 40F or so in the winter and 79F or so in the summer. I don't think most of the motorhome interiors like a huge swing in temps or humidity.

I certainly would make sure the fresh water tank and holding tanks were treated properly after emptying them of course.

This is what I've always done with my RVs. They've always been "stored"
at my house, under a car port/shed. Fridge on, so it cycles regularly, along with heat or air, whichever is needed. I'm with you khog, I never felt extreme temps were good on any appliance or furniture.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So far those that leave their power on are close to the coach,in the barn or garage. My concern other than batteries I will be 500 miles away, so if something happened I would not be available to deal with it.
jimlaurielucy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power