Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #1

Power problem

I need some help please. I have a 2001 Damon Intruder. I am connected to 50amp. Half of my outlets and air conditioners will loose power off and on but it is on a regular basis. I have no idea what would cause their power to shut on and off. Any ideas out there?
RSPECT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When you say regular basis, can you explain more - every x number of seconds/minutes? Seemingly random amount of time?

If you have a generator does everything work ok when running the generator?

Do you have a volt meter or other way to check if the power is consistent at the shore power pedestal?

If the shore power cord has a plug at the coach end, is it plugged in securely?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:36 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If you are comfortable in checking 240/120 volt circuits, find the transfer switch and remove cover. Familiarize yourself with the output side of the contactor; there should be a drawing of the wiring inside the cover. With your volt meter set to read at least 250 volts place a lead on L1 and L2 of the output of the contactor when you loose operation of the affected appliances. If you do not read 240 volts, place your leads on the input side for the power cord (Shore) and look for 240 volts from a lead on L1 and L2. If you do have 240 volts on input from shore power cord, the power pedestal is OK and your transfer switch contactor points are to blame. If this is the case you will have to replace at least thee contactor (if one is readily available) or the whole transfer switch.
If you do not loose power out of the transfer switch, make certain the lugs are clean and tight, then move to the main distribution panel and remove this cover. Check the main input to the 50 amp double pole breaker for 240 volts and make certain the conductors are tight. Unplug power cord to tighten or repair conductor(s). If the conductor insulation is not burnt, tighten the set screws. If the conductor(s) insulation is burnt, you will need to cut off the burnt end of the conductor(s) to a good clean copper wire, strip the insulation of 3/4" and reinstall into the circuit breaker if the circuit breaker lug is not damaged. Replace circuit breaker if need be.
If the main breaker and conductors are good then look for any burnt or discolored wiring insulation on all other conductors and circuit breakers and test the circuit breaker output conductors for 120 volts from the wire into the circuit breakers to the neutral bar (White wires). You may find that the breaker is OK but the conductor(s) connection is loose. Repair these the same way as I describe above for the main conductors.
Be sure all neutral conductor connections are clean and tight. Repair as needed the same way as described for the hot conductors.
Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSPECT View Post
I need some help please. I have a 2001 Damon Intruder. I am connected to 50amp. Half of my outlets and air conditioners will loose power off and on but it is on a regular basis. I have no idea what would cause their power to shut on and off. Any ideas out there?
Does the problem exist at all RV parks where you plug in? If so, then you are having an internal problem with your electrical system.

Mentioned already is the potential for loose lugs in your transfer box, power distribution box, etc. Easy to talk about but likely getting easy access to those items is sometimes a job for an electrician the size of a spider monkey.

I just did some research on transfer switch problems, and loose wiring seems to be high on the list. A couple of years ago IOTA transfer switches were the target of some concern. Documentation is available on them being at the heart of a few RV fires. I have the IOTA ITS-50R so, yes I was checking it for lug tightness as soon as I read of the potential fire problem. Proper torque on the lugs is 45#.

Most transfer switches have the wiring design shown on this pdf: http://www.norwall.com/product_pdfs/pdf_file_33839.pdf

I put this up so you can see the lug connections to do the testing on.

By the way, do this first ... Check the 50amp power cord for excessive warmth that might be at one place. Also the male plug. Just a thought. Bad plug connection, or broken wiring somewhere along the cord could be the gremlin.

Let us know how things are going.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #5

I will look at the wiring everyone is talking about. I'll have to wait till next weekend to check it out. When I said off an on I was meaning everyday starting in the evenings around 4 or 5 pm. I'm only loosing power on my lights and A/C units. This is the only campground I have had the motor-home in since I've owned it and this problem just started probably within a month to month and a half. Also what will happen is all power will be on then it starts. Power goes off to the lights and a/c units. Power will stay off for about 5 minutes then it will come on again for about 15 minutes then repeat the cycle for a couple of hours. I'll post any changes after I'm able to check the wiring next weekend. Thank you all so far.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #6

If you have some sort of surge protector it my be detecting a problem, and shutting down the power till it detects the power is ok. Do you know if you have any type of power management system?
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had the same problem on my 2005..

First; IT MIGHT NOT BE YOUR PROBLEM.. Read on.

You may find if you read enough of my posts that I'm fond of saying Many RVers have a few screws loose.

So, what screws are I talking about? In this case we start with the screws in the park's electrical system, it may be they have a loose screw or a flakey device supplying one leg of your RV. If so, it's not your problem.

The 50 amp plug you push into the park outlet.. Are the pins nice and shiny or are they black and tarnished (Polish if needed) is it a molded on or is it a replacement (You may need to replace it) if it is a replacement it has SCREWS one of which may be loose.

On the other end you have a Marinco outlet.. I had a 50 amp 5-er I was assisting (He had no power at all) the stupid outlet came off in my hand!!!!! ALL six screws inside it were loose.. He had a few words with his dealer, Between his knowledge, and my knowledge, and tool box. he was good shortly later.

That outlet plugs onto a marinco INLET,, That was where MY problem was, one of the screws was loose on it.

From there it goes to a transfer switch, More screws plus some solenoids that sometimes fail.

From there it goes to the MAIN BREAKER, and guess what ... They have screws too, plus they can "Tip out' on many breaker boxes and make a poor connection (Just push back into the box)

From there it hits the bus bars in teh breaker box and the branch circuits..... From your description these are NOT the problem... but then again.. they might be.. (They were also one of my problems) One of the breakers took over two full turns before it started to firm up.

My guess. Is you have a screw loose.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
My guess. Is you have a screw loose.
Excellent posting! Got a laugh from the summary.

Electrician will charge $60 for that opinion
Psychiatrist will charge $600
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:19 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
RSPECT,
In your original post you said that half of your outlets and air conditioners loose power. However, in you second post (below) you say your lights and A/C units loose power. If your lights are loosing power you have a problem with your converter. Your lights are 12 volts not 120 volts. If your lights are loosing power that is the same reason your A/C stops working, their control circuit is powered by 12 volts.

Quote:
I will look at the wiring everyone is talking about. I'll have to wait till next weekend to check it out. When I said off an on I was meaning everyday starting in the evenings around 4 or 5 pm. I'm only loosing power on my lights and A/C units. This is the only campground I have had the motor-home in since I've owned it and this problem just started probably within a month to month and a half. Also what will happen is all power will be on then it starts. Power goes off to the lights and a/c units. Power will stay off for about 5 minutes then it will come on again for about 15 minutes then repeat the cycle for a couple of hours. I'll post any changes after I'm able to check the wiring next weekend. Thank you all so far.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:11 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
You could very well have a bad 12v system issue that will cause the air conditioner to not operate properly. The controls for your appliances are powered by the 12 volt system; the same for most if not all your lights. Since some of your lights are unaffected, It is probably a branch circuit or two and not the whole 12 volt house system. Check for heat at the 12 volt fuses in the DC distribution panel. I have seen loose fuses and/or conductors in this system be the culprit of what you are describing.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
RSPECT,
In your original post you said that half of your outlets and air conditioners loose power. However, in you second post (below) you say your lights and A/C units loose power. If your lights are loosing power you have a problem with your converter. Your lights are 12 volts not 120 volts. If your lights are loosing power that is the same reason your A/C stops working, their control circuit is powered by 12 volts.
Yes. I noticed I had said outlets in my first post as well. I should have clarified that I meant just lights and a/c's and not my outlets. I had thought about my power converter but didn't know enough and thought that it was working fine. Another thing for me to check. Thank you.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #12

Thank you all for your help to this point. I really had no idea where to start and all of you have been helpful. I will have a lot of things to check this weekend when I get to the camper! Thank you.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #13

The "loose" screws could be the reason you are "losing" power.

Sorry, but I like to see the King's English used properly and words spelled correctly.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:19 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like it is an automatic resetting breaker for the 12 volt power. Is there something that is being turned on or used at the time you start losing the lights and AC?

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power