Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2021, 01:37 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Power Seat Fuse keeps popping

During these times, we are staying put in a campground.

To make me feel better I like to start the bus, bring in the slides and retract the levelling jacks. During this process I have to move the power seats forward to allow room for the slide. (they are facing backwards) I then reverse the process levelling the bus, putting out the slides and eventually shut down the engine.

Everything went fine until it was time to move the seats. The drivers seat moved fine, the passenger seat had no power. I discovered the fuse had popped, so I pushed it in but it popped also immediately. I did try a few more times but it kept popping. I now have no power in either seat.

Any ideas?
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2021, 01:49 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have never had that happen to me but here are my thoughts. My thought is there is a shorted wire under or around the seat. If the seat motor had a short the breaker should not blow until you tried to move the seat. If your seat has a power connector that can be disconnected try that and see if the breaker holds.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:00 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
I have never had that happen to me but here are my thoughts. My thought is there is a shorted wire under or around the seat. If the seat motor had a short the breaker should not blow until you tried to move the seat. If your seat has a power connector that can be disconnected try that and see if the breaker holds.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Don
OK, so i disconnected the driver's side connectors, there were 2. Reset the fuse and it stayed in. :-)

Do you have any idea how I look for a short on the driver's seat?

Thank you for your help.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:05 PM   #4

It appears as if you have a dead short or the "fuse" is bad. I'm thinking from your description that the "fuse" is really a circuit breaker. My bet is that you have a dead short somewhere in the harness for the seat. Put your head under the seat and look for a chaffed wire, likely where it goes through some kind of hole or where something has cut it. It could be that something else is shorted but that's the most likely cause. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:28 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
It appears as if you have a dead short or the "fuse" is bad. I'm thinking from your description that the "fuse" is really a circuit breaker. My bet is that you have a dead short somewhere in the harness for the seat. Put your head under the seat and look for a chaffed wire, likely where it goes through some kind of hole or where something has cut it. It could be that something else is shorted but that's the most likely cause. Good luck.
to narrow down the wires, I plugged in 1 of the 2 and breaker did not pop. So the culprit has to be the other plug that only has 2 wires. I looked the best I can and did not find any bare wires but did find what looks like burn marks on the yellow wire (see picture, I'm holding the wire) near the plug. The other side is harder to see but again no bare wires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7902.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	315338  
Old 01-21-2021, 02:37 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
The problem won't be where you can grab the wires and move them. The problem will be where the wires are trapped by a bracket or another piece of metal.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:51 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Allan;

If you have problems locating the short don't be afraid to call the Winnebago Help Line at 800-537-1885. They might be able to give you some ideas where to look. They have been very helpful to me over the years..

Good luck;

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:56 PM   #8

We had a wire get caught up on the worm drive of the passenger seat. It shorted.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:42 PM   #9

The burnt wire is an indications that you're in the right neighborhood. Keep looking you'll find it.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:30 PM   #10

Burned wires.
Loose connection somewhere?
Excessive load..motor going bad?
What motion of he seat do you have with the yellow wires off? May help figure out which motor is drawing to much amperage,

Good luck let us know what your find out,
greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, power, seat