Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2018, 06:07 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Power Steering Filter

Ok, so I was just ordering some parts from Ultra RV for my 2005 Winnebago with a W24 chassis and saw a power steering filter was available on their website. I did most of the fluids and filters last summer when I bought it and was planning on flushing the coolant and brake fluid when it warms up. Is this something else I should change/replace?
Tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2018, 03:25 PM   #2

I'd say if it has one its there to filter out particulate and should be changed periodically, just like any other filter.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:09 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yeah that’s what I figured as well. $90 for a filter was kind of high though.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:37 PM   #4

Not sure what the replacement schedule is on this in the chassis manual, but it’s on my “to do”list as well. Probably important because the power steering pump provides the power for braking as well.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:15 AM   #5

I did look in the chassis manual this morning and didn't find any mention of it needing changing on the fluid at 50K.

Not sure if you saw this diagram at the Ultra RV Products web site (see below). It shows an internal spin on filter. I sent a message to Ultra RV for more technical information. The second link is to the filter itself. Third is a photo of the filter.

Power Steering Filter

Old 01-31-2018, 11:39 AM   #6

A lot of Class 8 trucks used engine oil in their steering systems and a remote oil filter to keep the oil clean... It depends on the truck and the gear manufacturer... they were originally designed that way so if needed a driver could add to the fluid if he ended up with a leak... as most truckers carry a gallon of oil...

The practice has gone away with better quality steering gears and pump assemblies, but its not a bad idea to change it... the interval on a Class 8 would usually be during an annual inspection...
Old 01-31-2018, 09:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I did look in the chassis manual this morning and didn't find any mention of it needing changing on the fluid at 50K.

Not sure if you saw this diagram at the Ultra RV Products web site (see below). It shows an internal spin on filter. I sent a message to Ultra RV for more technical information. The second link is to the filter itself. Third is a photo of the filter.

Power Steering Filter

Just saw this post and so I looked in my 2012 chassis manual and there is no mention of this filter or as a scheduled PM item. However, I did have a professional flush & replace PS Fluid change about 14 months ago but there was no mention or billing for the changing out of this filter.

So just now, I went out and raised our MH hood and looked at the PS Fluid reservoir and it does indeed have a retainer ring at the top of the reservoir, which indicates that the top of the reservoir can be removed and therefore gain access to change the internal filter. I never knew there was a filter in there and again, it is not mentioned in the chassis manual. I just made a note to myself to check and replace this filter when I do all my next major mileage fluid changes in about 15K miles.

How many of you knew there was an internal filter in there, and how often have you changed yours? And if you have changed your filter, what was the procedure of getting down in there to unscrew the old one and then install the new one? Is there any bleeding of the system before or afterwards necessary? Details please on this process.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:09 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Power Steering Filter

Did not see the diagrams on ultras site. Thanks. I did however pull up a YouTube video of someone changing out the exact same filter and changing the fluid on a truck power steering system. Same exact filter. I still can’t get over the cost, $90. Since my MH is a 2005 and new to me as of last May I figure I’ll bite the bullet and change it since I wanted to change the fluid anyway.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:14 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006LVY2SI...X2H0043N&psc=0

IDK if these are any good...but less than $90
Old 02-01-2018, 06:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006LVY2SI...X2H0043N&psc=0

IDK if these are any good...but less than $90
WIX are indeed good filters, I use them on all my cars and my coach.

I did do some poking around yesterday and the original part number for the filter (2503221C1) was actually an International Harvester part. If you use that number it will cross to others, like the WIX.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjclarke696 View Post
Did not see the diagrams on ultras site. Thanks. I did however pull up a YouTube video of someone changing out the exact same filter and changing the fluid on a truck power steering system. Same exact filter. I still can’t get over the cost, $90. Since my MH is a 2005 and new to me as of last May I figure I’ll bite the bullet and change it since I wanted to change the fluid anyway.
Do you have a link to that video? I am wondering how hard it would be to unscrew the filter since it resides inside the canister and whether there is a wrench to fit it. I may do this after our spring trip.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:59 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Do you have a link to that video? I am wondering how hard it would be to unscrew the filter since it resides inside the canister and whether there is a wrench to fit it. I may do this after our spring trip.

Here’s the video:

The reservoir probably isn’t the same (I’ll look this weekend) but the filter looks to be identical.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:13 AM   #13

Wonder if there is a drain on our steering box? I added that to my list of things to check on the coach when I go to work on it next week. Coach is stored indoors right now so I am trying to get a lot of my spring checklist done before it comes out. Will take a look around and maybe shoot some photos.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:12 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Still trying to figure out where the filter goes. Looked online and couldn’t find any info on replacing it on a 2005 W24. Plenty of info on 2006 and up but it’s a different filter. Called Brazel’s and apparently their having an issue locating the info as well. Waiting to hear back from them. Hopefully they’ll have an answer for me soon.

Tags
power, steering