RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2020, 09:28 PM   #1

Power Steering Filter

We have a Triple E 40 Motorhome, Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 8.9 ISL
425 HP. Want to change the filter for the Power Steering - hyd driven fans ,
part # VML-T 3193 . But it is no longer available from Freightliner.
The filter is located inside the 4 gal (20L) tank.
It has a 1 inch F pipe thread , 3 3/16 inch Dia, 10 inches long.
FreightLiners only solution is to change the complete tank with a different filter for $1000 - $1500 plus labor to install !
Spent about an hour at the Swift Filter Outlet cross referencing filter number but could not come up with anything.
Has anyone ran into this situation and able to find a filter that would fit ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0BD727DE-5BF7-492B-907F-7167F44C41C2.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	309641   Click image for larger version

Name:	8699BBB4-F812-4502-94A5-2557D79164ED.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	309642  

31dh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2020, 09:38 PM   #2

Following .

Now I'm afraid to look inside my filter housing.
Yours is a 2009 Freightliner chassis , what can I expect to find in my 99.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:38 AM   #3

Power steering filter

First of all we pumped fluid out with a drill pump then wiped the bottom of the tank with paper towels which had very little dirt then remove the filter.
Then called Freightliner help line. In the book it suggest that you change the fluid and the filter. But freightliner suggested only change the fluid in the tank as if you try to drain the complete system it is very hard to get all the air out when refilling.Then he transferred me to the parts department and that is when I found out the filter is no longer available and told me there is a change up to a new tank and filter which is a 60 day waiting period as it has to come direct from the factory.The filter looked OK and I could see light through it , so put the old filter back in and put new fluid in.Freightliner suggested using Dextron lll or lV.
That seemed reasonable to use Dextron because the fluid we took out was red.
Used Dextron lll because that is what was available.
31dh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:11 AM   #4

P/S filter

Somebody made that filter and odds are it was a stock off the shelf item, not custom fabricated for Freightliner.
Get the Freightliner part number for the old filter from Freightliner. I suggest your first stop is to check with Baldwin Filters either via their on-line catalog, an email or phoning customer support. They've got the broadest cross reference I know of. If that doesn't work, try a local supplier of hydraulic equipment.
NAPA can sometime be a good resource also, since they sell parts for heavy equipment and farm implements.
I'm sure a replacement is out there.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:32 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My ISL has no power steering filter. You said it was clean when you checked it. Forget the filter. Just change the fluid more often.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:03 AM   #6

On my coach they use 3 filters stacked in the hydraulic reservoir tank held in place with a threaded rod. The filters are 5.07 tall and 4 OD x 1.3 ID. Maybe you could make an adapter and use a set of stacked filters. Filter PN NAPA 7196
Old 11-29-2020, 06:16 PM   #7

https://www.pacificpowergroup.com/pr...s-21943-filter

These people list it on their website but that doesn't mean they have it.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:20 PM   #8

I looked through several filters on Baldwin using your dimensions, they don't list how they are adapted but ones without a rod hole are probably threaded. You could created an adapter by welding a rod into centered in a threaded coupler and using filters with flat rubber gasket. A couple inches taller shorter shouldn't make much of a difference . There's many at around 10" tall.
Maybe their catalog will have better drawings or info. Seems like there are no cross reference that I can find I jumbled moved spaces and tried all Google and part searches tricks I know. It's a huge filter and maybe short run that no one ever changes so companies ever cross referenced. Might be good for life actually barring a pump or fan motor self destruct, which I'm sure you want to prevent by changing filter right.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:37 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On my '02 Dutch Star there were 3 filters stacked. I had no problem finding them but that was about 10 yrs ago.
I couldn't find Dexron III at a reasonable price when I needed some for my present rig so I used TES-295 (TranSynd). Allison no longer certifies any fluids as Dexron III. So you're on your own as far as quality of those claiming to be equiv to Dexron III.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, steering