Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2023, 11:42 AM   #1

PowerGear Leveling System Issues

I have a new-to-me 2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE with a Power Gear Leveling System. Recently, while driving, the lights on the Leveling System panel would start flashing and an alarm would sound. This would last just a few seconds, then stop. This has happend probably five times.

Another issue I have is twice now I've pressed the Auto button to level the RV. The front two come down but the rear two never move.

I checked the fluid level - it's almost full but not quite. I wouldn't think it's low enough to be causing problems.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2023, 11:47 AM   #2

Were the jacks FULLY retracted when you checked the oil level? Many people try to measure the oil with one or more jacks partially extended which gives an 'almost full' reading.

Does your users guide have a troubleshooting section? It should if it has flashing warnings. Check that. You might have to find your system model number and look in Power Gear's (or whoever bought Power Gear) archives.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 11:56 AM   #3

Agree with above. Also you have to do regular maintenance on them. Mine have internal return springs and grease fittings. Also they want you to use silicon on the shiny parts when down. Lots to do on those things lol. Also if you call them - the techs are really nice helpful people even though the jacks are super old - Lippert owns them now. Last thing, if they are up and you can visually check you can stop the alarm by removing the fuse. Temporarily until you figure it out.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 01:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dperkinstx View Post
I have a new-to-me 2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE with a Power Gear Leveling System. Recently, while driving, the lights on the Leveling System panel would start flashing and an alarm would sound. This would last just a few seconds, then stop. This has happend probably five times.

Another issue I have is twice now I've pressed the Auto button to level the RV. The front two come down but the rear two never move.

I checked the fluid level - it's almost full but not quite. I wouldn't think it's low enough to be causing problems.

Is air bags dumping?
Try resetting system,
With ignition switch on and leveling system off hold down leveling system power button a few seconds till you hear a beep.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:41 PM   #5

What is the relationship between the air bags and hydraulic jacks ?
Old 02-05-2023, 07:40 PM   #6

Apparently I was looking at the wrong reservoir. The one I was looking must be used for something else, perhaps slides? I found the much larger Power Gear reservoir near the back of the coach. Nothing shows on the dip stick. I went to O'Reilly's and bought 2 quarts of Dextron III. Both quarts easily fit in the reservoir. No telling how much more I need, but I ran out of time for today.

I had my coach parked in my driveway at home for about 5 hours. There are four oily spots on my driveway, one under each landing gear. Looks like I need to rebuild them.

One of my jacks is PN 501096. I can't remember if the picture I took was a front or rear jack. Are all four jacks the same, or are front and rear jacks different? Is there a rebuild kit available?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Large_reservoir.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	385863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Small Reservoir.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	385864  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Landing Gear.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	385865  
Old 02-05-2023, 07:46 PM   #7

Just a FYI, I had one rear jack that had like 1/2 cup of ATF in it whenever I extended the jack for any length of time. I used ATF Stop Leak in the tank and whop whop, it worked. Stopped the leak after around 3 treatments. I then had to add some like once every 2 years for 12 years. Usually it would start leaking again if I hyper extended the jack. Like went too far with it.

Point is, ATF Stop Leak worked for me on my Power Gear jacks for years. On my 2nd RV with hydraulic jacks, that's one of the first things I did...add stop leak. So far, after 7 years, no leaks.

Not a cure, but could help give you some wiggle room time wise.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 10:29 PM   #8

Dry hydraulics = dry seals. Fill it up and exercise the jacks. If you took 2 quarts with room to spare...
Old 02-06-2023, 12:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceclimber View Post
What is the relationship between the air bags and hydraulic jacks ?
The coach does an air dump, which lowers the coach, then starts the leveling process.
Old 02-06-2023, 12:47 PM   #10

After doing some research, I've found out I have the Power Gear 501096 landing gear. This is of the power up/power down variety. I also know there isn't a rebuild kit for this landing gear.
After calling a few hydraulic repair places, I've discovered some types are welded together and would have be cut apart and welded back together. Other types can be taken apart more easily. The price to repair one cylinder ranges from $250 - $450 depending on what I have. Would anyone happen to know if my Power Gear 501096 is the type that can be taken apart without cutting it open?
Another option would be to buy new ones from Lippert at $1,285 each. I'm not a fan of this option.
One final option: Lippert actually suggested I could replace the entire system with a new Lippert system with a price tag of over $10,000. No thanks - It'd take a whole lot of adding ATF to the reservoir to come close to that price tag.
Old 02-06-2023, 04:17 PM   #11

I have a Revolution as well. When I first purchased it a couple years ago one of the jacks leaked at the bottom seal. I was able to stop it forcing grease into the seal with my finger and running the Jack up and down. Also spraying silicone on the jacks and cycling them up and down conditions the seals.

It is disappointing that there are no zerk fittings or rebuild kits. These are the most expensive that Lippert sell. If I get to the point that the leak returns I may try a local hydraulic shop for a rebuild.
Pierpressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 04:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Apparently I was looking at the wrong reservoir. The one I was looking must be used for something else, perhaps slides? I found the much larger Power Gear reservoir near the back of the coach. Nothing shows on the dip stick. I went to O'Reilly's and bought 2 quarts of Dextron III. Both quarts easily fit in the reservoir. No telling how much more I need, but I ran out of time for today.

I had my coach parked in my driveway at home for about 5 hours. There are four oily spots on my driveway, one under each landing gear. Looks like I need to rebuild them.

One of my jacks is PN 501096. I can't remember if the picture I took was a front or rear jack. Are all four jacks the same, or are front and rear jacks different? Is there a rebuild kit available?

Your slides are electric.
Little hydraulic system is for your step cover.
Be careful filling tank if you over fill when operating jacks it will make a big mess.
Are you sure oil is coming from jack and not hydraulic line?
Old 02-07-2023, 05:00 AM   #13

Quote:

My '07 Tradition had the same power gear jack and Valid leveling system. 3 of my jacks started leaking a year ago. The seals needed to be replace and the only way to do that is to cut them open. Most hydraulic shops can do that and replace the seals, mine were about $400 ea. They can be difficult to remove from the chassis and are heavy. I hired a mobile mechanic to do mine.

I checked all fluids regularly. Hyd for both the jacks and pwr steering, coolant and engine oil all seem to try their best to escape.

The Valid leveling system that is warning you may be do to a bad leveling sensor. Stop the RV, put in neutral, press the leveling system off then on and that action should stop the warning.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, leveling system, power