Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2020, 03:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Someone above posted that it doesn't produce 240 volt. That would mean you could hook it up and run everything in your house except 240 volt appliances. Given you have a gas furnace and gas stove that probably would only be your dryer and any A/C units.

You don't have time for tomorrow, but I'd wire this with a transfer switch and simply not have the 240 volt items connected to the transfer switch. Until then I'd just shut off the breakers on 240 volt circuits. Probably nothing bad would happen if you tried to run them, but I wouldn't risk it.

Yes, only my Oven uses 240v. I had forgotten the dryer was gas too. And we rarely use the electric oven, like 3 or 4 times a year. We live in San Diego so A/C almost never gets used, although climate change seems to be changing that scenario. -Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2020, 03:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Before you wire something wrong and damage something or worse hurt yourself or someone else you should consider hiring a professional to do your installation.
I don't believe in taking too much stock in advice from an open forum for matters like this. Opinions are usually worth what you pay for them.

All the hard stuff was already done by the professionals. (per the OP) I am just making a cord from my Inverter to the previously installed generator connect inlet. I am using the diagram that Magnum provides for my inverter as it is meant for such an installation as documented in the manual. -Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
Old 11-02-2020, 03:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Recently acquired the current homestead and replaced the 1970 installed obsolete breaker panel with a Squared D model. I included a 30 amp two pole breaker dedicated to a generator feed AND the the main breaker lockout which only allows a "this or that" configuration to prevent back feeding into the local grid. (See attached image) My portable generator is 7500 watts single phase which allow just about everything in the house that is 120VAC but not the 240VDC items. If I need to power the house I trip the main, slide the lockout to clear the generator breaker, close the generator breaker and also trip the four two pole breakers. Safe and easy on the house side.

For the coach the simplest way to feed power safely is add a NEMA 14-50R receptacle somewhere in the coach that is easy to access with a power cord. This is the same outlet type you plug into at a camp site. Then use a correctly sized power cord with a matching twist lock plug to the house receptacle on one end of the cord and a NEMA 14-50P on the other end so you can safety feed the coach to the house with no exposed conductors.

The only question is to where to connect in the coach. At the output from the generator? Transfer switch? Breaker panel? Inverter output? Hard to say but I really don't like to double up a power feed so if possible I would consider adding a two pole breaker to the main panel, if possible, and feed the receptacle from there. When not in use leave the breaker off and the receptacle deenergized.
I have a similar situation except my local utility provider installed my new 200 amp panel when they were under-grounding our service a few years ago. I had an electrician install the 30 amp generator breaker just below the 200 amp main then install the lockout apparatus and a generator inlet port.

I decided to use my Inverter to supply the house power as A. It's certified for that type of install, it can use my 8kw of batteries to supply the power, they are also being charged by 1500w of solar. And I can still use the generator if necessary to charge the batteries if/when needed. Magnum had the exact wiring diagram in the manual to provide power to both sides of the house breaker panels buss. Attaching it to the 120v genny had no documentation I could find, so the Magnum made the most sense. -Bill

Tags
power