RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2020, 01:57 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
PPL Houston

Any recommendations for a salesperson at PPL Houston ?
J.Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2020, 11:33 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I had a pretty bad experience with them and bought elsewhere. We were looking at a Class A tag axle. They wouldn't return my emails or phone calls and any negotiations were on their terms. I felt the 'sales person' played dumb or shielded negative information about the coach. I checked various online review sources and saw a large amount of negative. I think once they see you're fairly informed and looking closely and asking obvious questions, they just write you off and don't respond to emails or calls with legitimate questions. I'm not saying to not deal with them. I am saying it's important to go slowly and cautiously with them, especially in light of the negative reviews.
bduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:45 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bduvall View Post
I had a pretty bad experience with them and bought elsewhere. We were looking at a Class A tag axle. They wouldn't return my emails or phone calls and any negotiations were on their terms. I felt the 'sales person' played dumb or shielded negative information about the coach. I checked various online review sources and saw a large amount of negative. I think once they see you're fairly informed and looking closely and asking obvious questions, they just write you off and don't respond to emails or calls with legitimate questions. I'm not saying to not deal with them. I am saying it's important to go slowly and cautiously with them, especially in light of the negative reviews.
I have read many of the same. That’s why I am looking for a recommendation from a member.
Always smart to proceed with caution Thanks for your insights
JM
Old 07-07-2020, 05:56 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had good experience with getting parts from them and was there for a day a few years ago while they installed my new roof air unit.
While waiting for the work to be done I toured the diesel pushers on the lot and found almost all of them to be pretty "tired". Most any of them would have to be refurbished or at least thoroughly cleaned to be acceptable. My impression is that they will consign anything. There is a place for that. That is why I don't look at their sold prices on any units for reference. However, as always, I could be wrong.
CaptainJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:59 AM   #5

We bought ours from them at their New Braunfels location and there were problems with the experience. I was aware that we were buying a coach that needed some work and made a ridiculous offer that was accepted. DW loved the interior.

We ended up working with the manager to complete the sale. They had some things to get fixed that took longer than expected which caused us to make an additional trip to pick it up. Also, the owner owed more on it than we were paying, which caused some delay. One item that was not fixed properly they fixed at their Cleburne location. We are happy with coach now.

We have purchased several parts items from them over the years and will continue to do so. For service and repairs we do not use them.

They sold our trailer for us at the Cleburne location with no issues.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:00 AM   #6

Like a car dealer. Constant turn over of sales associates. Even if you start with the lead manager it is only a matter of time until it gets handled by a newer sales associate. That being said there are deals to be made with the units they Carry. All units for sale have a lower than listed Price That seller will take. Low ball on any unit you like. If they say know, which is what you want, the salesman will press seller to go lower than they have listed in the contract they have with PPL. If they do not come back to you with the lower price then you know you are at sellers current bottom. The longer the unit is on lot the lower seller will go. Good luck in your search.

Enjoy the journey
Old 07-07-2020, 09:18 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have had nothing but positive experiences with PPL. We looked, but did not buy as the seller was upside-down on the rV and would not come down to the real value. We sold an RV through them and it went well. Parts shipment have always be prompt and accurate.

Like any auto dealer, there is a large turn over in sales people. The good one will find better and move on.

Ken
Old 07-07-2020, 09:25 AM   #8

We bought our DP there. Toured the lot and agree with another comment. Most we’re pretty tired. We found one that was not and made an offer. They contacted the owner and he countered, we countered and he took the deal. Set the pick up date, transferred the money and they did a walk through with us. Rolled that same day. Not hassle and went fairly easy. FYI i was told they take 10% consignment fee from the seller but don’t know that for sure.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:30 AM   #9

I bought ours in Houston. I would not do it again. Because I was 3,000 miles away I had to rely on them to give me details, which were either completely understated or misrepresented. If you do so, get an independent RV inspection, theirs was totally inaccurate.
NorCal27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:35 AM   #10

Lots of good responses, and I'll just emphasize one underlying point--you're dealing with a consignment business so you cannot expect some of the same interactions as with a dealer that owns the vehicles himself.

This means, you need to be much more prepared and knowledgeable that usual.

This means, the coaches will not usually be serviced or detailed unless the actual owner has done it prior to leaving it on the lot.

This means there will be a lot less knowledge about the coach by the sales staff.

This means you will get generalized responses or an "I don't know," when asking about particular units.

This means that the sales people act as middlemen between you and the owner so a delay or failure to communicate with you can be a result of a failure of reaching the owner as much as a failure of a salesperson to follow up.

This means that any corrective work on the coach will become a negotiation between you, the dealer, and the seller, not just between you and the dealer.

My point, much more of the pre-purchase work has to be done by you and a good understanding of the selling situation is needed. Like all vehicle purchases, you need to know the questions to ask and you need to know what the correct answer should be, before you hear it.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:50 AM   #11

We bought our Super C from PPL Houston and everything went just like they said it would. Only hiccup we had was that I made a lower offer based on a flaw that wasn't important to me and I thought I could fix on the cheap. PPL countered at original price agreeing to fix flaw on their dime. We signed, they sent it to shop and decided against fixing it due to parts being on long term back order from the manufacturer. Instead of fixing it they reduced the price to even lower than we had offered to take it as is. We walked away a winner there. All the way through they were courteous and professional and we were very satisfied with our purchase.