RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2018, 06:40 PM   #1

Pre-Delivery Inspection

Hello!
New on this forum, but have posted on RV.NET before under a different name. My wife and I are planning on moving up from a 26' TT to a new Class A Gasser. If we told a salesman we wanted to buy a particular unit, does anyone think the dealership would allow us to do a comprehensive road test, appliance check, water tank/holding tank check, etc. BEFORE signing on the dotted line? I sure wouldn't want to get the paperwork all done and find out the reefer or A/C or slide-out needs service and we can't take our rig home for a couple of days (or longer). This would be sort of a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) instead of a PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection). I want to know as much as I can about what I'm buying instead of hoping the rig is ready to go. Any thoughts?
Dillon
Dillon Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2018, 08:06 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't know about pre inspection but may dealers (the ones we have dealt with) to and extensive delivery orientation on how the coach works and how you work with it. And then have facilities where you can camp for a nigh or two or three and test all the systems. Then while you are still there address and issues.

When we take deliver of our new coach in a couple of months we will spend two days in orientation and then two days camping at their facility to iron out any problems.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:16 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Any credible dealer would allow you test drive the coach and demonstrate that everything works before signing on the dotted line. I bought a coach that was inbound to the dealer so essentially sight unseen and I had in writing the deal was subject to my inspection and approval. If they know you are serious they will do whatever it takes to make the sale. With that said my coach passed the dealer presale inspection and I still had a water leak at the bathroom sink and several other minor issues such as the air mattress controllers were on the wrong side and the roof top satellite dish had the wires crossed. Within a year an air conditioner failed and was replaced under warranty. Bottomline no matter how much due diligence you do in making sure it is 100% working there is always going to be something you'll find needs to be corrected. Keep the first shakedown trip close to home or the dealership.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:14 AM   #4

And, since you are concerned about these things, pick a good dealer in the first place. Hasn't been mentioned and hugely important if you want a smooth beginning.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:38 AM   #5

Thank you for the responses. I live in Bakersfield and for the motorhome we are considering, we have a choice of Camping World or Camping World, as far as local dealers of that brand. I know, I've read all the bad things about them. We had a generator installed in our 5th wheel by Camping World in Valencia and they did a fantastic job, but this was back in 2003 or so and things change. Other dealer options are way out towards Pomona or near the coast, and none of them have that great of a reputation either. We'll do our due diligence, choose wisely, and if something breaks, I'll try to fix it myself as I'm pretty handy (rebuilt a couple of engines, etc.) and I don't want to wait for a slot at the dealer if I can help it.
Dillon
Old 01-18-2018, 10:43 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Dillon! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

You never know 'till you ask! It all depends on what kind of mood the salesperson is in that day. Of course, some dealers may have a policy that strictly forbids that, but I would never do business with one that wouldn't allow it!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:55 AM   #7

I bought my Voltage toy hauler from Camping World - Avondale, AZ in 2014.

Never again will I do business with CW because:
-the PDI was done by a guy that didn't know what he was talking about.
-once the sale was complete, they forgot who we were
-the after-the-sale-service is the absolute worst. We had to really lean on them to get some really minor issues resolved (replacing missing bedspread as an example)
-CW CEO Marcus publicly said he didn't want Trump supporters in his stores.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:55 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I read your posts and it set off some alarms.
I would not limit myself to local only. Prices will vary greatly. When we were searching, there was a $50k difference across the country in pricing. Paul Evert just north of you is one of the highest priced dealers I've found.
I would allow more time. This is a big purchase and you should allow at least 6 months to narrow the field and make decisions.
I would guess there are going to be at least 20 items that will need attention on a new class A coach (it will depend greatly on make and model). Some of these will need parts and take from 2 days to 2 months to order in.
I've had first hand experience with Camping World RV sales and they can be difficult to work with. The sales staff will be very nice, but after the sale follow up is non-existent. They will have 1 or 2 experienced service folks and the rest will be dangerous. I can send you some pictures of terrible mistakes their technicians made on our motor home. I'm still correcting some of these.

As far as conducting a full pre-purchase inspection I doubt they will do it. They may allow you to pay for an outside inspsection or conduct it yourself, but few companies are going to invest time and money in a unit not yet sold. MHSRV in TX will not even allow you to drive it until after you have signed.
You should do searches online and get a good feel for pricing.

You should consider used. Both new and used coaches will have issues, but the money you save on a used coach will allow you to step up the lineup a few notches and get more for your money.

You will learn from every motor home you look at, so look at everything. It will help if you attend one of the large national RV shows. They will be more likely to allow you to test drive a coach.

I really hope this helps and would be happy to answer any questions you have.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:20 PM   #9

I bought from a dealer (not Camping World) that was good on the sales side (a couple of hours of my life) and utter chaos on the service side (many hours over the next 12 months) and was actually happy when the warranty expired. In short, find a good local place for service, and buy where you need to buy to get what you want.

However good your orientation and PDI are, there will be things that don't surface until weeks or months later, so you should expect to deal with some problems. Sadly, many of the makers have not learned the benefits of quality control; I think the market is ripe for an OEM that can deliver an innovative design that will be built right the first time, every time.

Camping World's reputation speaks for itself, and I had a minor run-in with them too, although no doubt there are some happy customers somewhere.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:20 PM   #10

Thanks again for all the information. We went to the Pomona RV show in October just to check out what is available and, just like last year, it was SO hot, it took all the fun out of looking, especially when some of the dealers didn't have the A/C on. Hard to concentrate when you're inspecting an oven.
The DW and I are going to have to lower our standards construction-wise for just about anything we can afford. We currently own an Earthbound Dillon TT and it is made with nice quality materials and screwed together so well, everything south of a Newell or Tiffin or similar just screams "cheap". But, I figure the chassis is going to be a Ford F-53 and they have a decent reputation and as long as the walls/roof/floor are assembled correctly (at least according to the manufacturers' websites) and the appliances are of decent quality, my main worries would be the slide-out system and miscellaneous fiddly bits like leaky plumbing, crooked trim, missing caulking, and the like, and I can handle fixing most of the fiddly bits. I guess we'll have to look at the cheaper cabinets and other construction deficits with rose-colored glasses. At least I'll have a new project to work on.
Dillon
Old 01-18-2018, 06:31 PM   #11

I wonder how patient the dealer will be.

When I ought a class C several years ago I did my own PDI on site after signing contract but before accepting delivery. My PDI took about 4 hours.