Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2014, 08:51 PM   #15

If your paying for a new MH that that's what you should get not some repaired unit!!!!!!
I'd blow my stack.
Traveler52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Personally, I wouldn't want a MH that the slides can catch on a basement door. What if this is not the only time someone forgets to close a door?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:03 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Salesman needs to practice, I managed to rip the door loose when I did it. Repaired with 3M adhesive and good as new. Don't sweat the small stuff on a RV as it will get dinged and bent in the most unusual ways. Experience teaches you how to move it without damage.
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Personally, I wouldn't want a MH that the slides can catch on a basement door. What if this is not the only time someone forgets to close a door?
I would do this more than once. I would be worried about that design.
phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #19

We have a 13 Baystar. If the slides are in you can open the basement doors wide. If slides out you can open the door half way under the slide. They have multiple positions. I wouldn't buy the damaged rig. Just find another one. They could eat that one. There would be no repair for me.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
That's what checklists are for. In my case, I had forgotten I had disengaged the safety chain (upstop) when I moved the slide. Normally, with the chain engaged, the hatch can't rotate upward past 90 degrees. Pretty common design on older coaches with hatches that swing upward like a car trunk. You could relocate the lift cylinder anchors to prevent the full upward movement if you don't like the chains. My hatch was the propane compartment and the higher lift (chain disengaged) makes filling easier. The accident was totally my fault. Same as the OP's salesman error ... he moved the slide without doing a walkaround or having an assistant.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:02 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't know anything about this model or brand of coach. On my previous motorhome (2001 Georgie Boy). There was an interlock system that would prevent the slides from being operated if the basement doors were open. I think it was a simple plunger switch that somehow disabled the slide circuit. I can't imagine a newer unit not having the same or similar system. You might want to check to see if there is such a system and if so why it wasn't working.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:45 AM   #22

Quote:
On my previous motorhome (2001 Georgie Boy). There was an interlock system that would prevent the slides from being operated if the basement doors were open. I think it was a simple plunger switch that somehow disabled the slide circuit. I can't imagine a newer unit not having the same or similar system. You might want to check to see if there is such a system and if so why it wasn't working.

It sounds like the system you describe would be pretty complicated. Each door would have to have a switch connected in series to a very long circuit. If there was an open circuit or bad switch it might take a long time to determine which switch was bad or where the circuit was open. In the mean time you wouldn't be able to close the slide. I would guess many of these type of systems would be disconnected in older coaches.

My MH has side hinged basement doors. That was something I looked for when shopping for MH's. Top hinged basement doors always looked inconvenient to me, lots more stooping to see inside the compartment. I never realized the doors might open far enough to interfere with the movement of the slide. It's not a matter of "If" your going to damage a door someday, it's "When".
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:22 AM   #23

Well, I have to do a walk around on my dp to make sure the bay doors are closed before I close the slides. They will not get mangled, but they will get scratched, and that is as good as mangled. That said, I would not accept the damage described above. I would accept it repaired without a lot of hoo ha, if it was perfect. I have had a scrap two and the repairs were perfect in both cases.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:36 AM   #24

If the dealer can't bring in a slide without screwing-up I'm not to sure I would want to trust them to make a repair.
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:37 AM   #25

I would even go so far as to call Newmar, explain the circumstances, and ask they help by applying some pressure to their product dealer to do the right thing for the customer and replace the damaged coach with an undamaged one. While the manufacturer actually has no responsibility in this case, it is the selling dealer who actually represents them. I don't think Newmar would enjoy the adverse PR that this situation could cause.
Pelledan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:44 AM   #26

Glad my currant rig has side open doors vs. top hinge on the old Allegro. Makes me wonder if that is an accident that didn't happen to DW and me that we were lucky enough to avoid with out even realizing the potential for damage.

I'm in the majority with don't sign any final contracts nor pass over any additional monies until unit is repaired to like new condition. I would also give the dealer a time limit on your patience with them on canning the whole deal. Meanwhile I would be making contact with the financial institution you used to put a deposit down on what avenues are available to reverse payment in case the dealer choses to be a dick about the whole thing. By the way, this wouldn't be Wilken's RV near Bath, NY or their Rochester store would it?
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:04 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Personally speaking, I would probably not accept a repaired RV as "new." If they made it like new and offered a discount, I might be swayed. Do not sign any paperwork until you have seen the repairs done.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:48 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am going to go with the make them pay you something for accepting a damaged coach along with making a factory level repair. No matter how small or good the repair a vehicle that has been damaged is worth less money on the market than the same vehicle that has never been damaged and repaired. It is very common for people that know to demand loss of value compensation for vehicle accidents where the accident was the other persons fault. I look at this the same way. YOU should receive loss of value compensation for this.

Do not cut off your nose to spite your face though. If you got a really good deal that you can not equal with another dealer then you have to decide if the good deal is worth the loss of value.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase