Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2020, 09:01 AM   #29

OK, I'm just guessing that the 240v line is connecting in series with another line. There is a 7 volt drop in that line, so you read 7 volts.

Disable the block heater and you get 117VAC (or the other way around). The block heater is wired wrong. If it works OK, then get home and wire it correctly.

Tom
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2020, 09:44 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM GUY View Post
OK, I'm just guessing that the 240v line is connecting in series with another line. There is a 7 volt drop in that line, so you read 7 volts.

Disable the block heater and you get 117VAC (or the other way around). The block heater is wired wrong. If it works OK, then get home and wire it correctly.

Tom
The block heater is fine - I had that breaker off and that’s where Precision Circuits monitor gets its voltage reading for L2. My bad... NXR and RandDescape nailed it early on. 153Stars explained it nicely.

Interestingly (to me anyway) the source for the voltage reading on L1 is on the breaker for one of the oasis heating elements, and turning it off, the panel reads 0 volts (no induced voltage there?) and flashes a “Brownout” warning.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:27 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM GUY View Post

Tom
There is no such thing as a 240-volt line. Or such a thing as hooking 2 lines in series. We are not talking about batteries. It takes 2 separate lines of 120 volts 180 degrees out of phase to make usable 240 volts. (which is what is at the main breaker of a 50 RV service panel). I'll be leaving this DIY conversation. Too much misinformation here. I am an electrician, not a teacher. I will get myself in trouble with ADMIN if I stay here. Just gonna sit back a watch
Old 11-20-2020, 08:29 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
That’s OK Cavie, I sorted it out a couple days ago, and just to satisfy my curiosity determined where L1 gets its reading yesterday.

All is well and normal - this all started because I was using the block heater outlet for my portable compressor and when it started in the middle of the night I just shut off that breaker rather than going outside to silence it. Then in the morning I saw the display readings in the pics which instigated my conundrum.

I’m new to this system - just bought the coach a few months ago, but learning. As usual there is some correct info here and some not so correct. But it’s all interesting and in the spirit of helping fellow RV’ers. When I have some time I’ll check out your reading list.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor, panel