RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2018, 07:12 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
The Fuel that the OP saw was refined by United Refining Company, Warren,Pa.
Here is a list of product's made.....
Gasoline
87 Octane
89 Octane
93 Octane

Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD, on road and off road)
Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel All Weather Diesel Supreme
Home Heating Oil
Kerosene (clear and dyed)

The USLD Supreme is the same as #2 USLD but with additive's in it.......
I worked there for 32 yrs.
URC - Fleet Services take a look.......
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #30

Been driving diesels for 18 years, never seen it.
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:27 AM   #31

I'm not sure what the difference is, but they bid for and use it. I believe it has to do with cold temperature use.

A number of years ago I was having issues with my " State bid " fuel delivery guy. He couldn't meet my 3000 gallon a week demand.

We found a different vendor, suppling premium diesel, and could bring 3000 + gallons a week. We went with him for the 3 month busy season.

Here is a page from a NY State bid for diesel fuel.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2018-05-07-12-16-22.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	201886
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:48 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
During my 30 year career (thus far) in petroleum refining, a "premium" diesel is not a product offered by my company or any other major energy company (ExxonMobil, Phillips 66 (and its Conoco brand), Chevron (and its Texaco brand), Shell, BP, etc. The only company I know that offers a "premium diesel" is Cenex which is a farmers co-op company in the northern Rockies / upper mid-west --> Cenex Roadmaster XL® | Premium Highway Diesel Fuel for Top Performance

The benefits claimed by Cenex for their premium diesel can be obtained by using the Diesel Kleen additive at every fill-up. A 32 ounce bottle of Diesel Kleen costs ~$8.00 at Walmarts which is enough for 100 gallons of diesel. This means Diesel Kleen costs 8 cents / gallon to use which is MUCH cheaper than paying a extra 30 cents/gallon for "premium diesel". By using Diesel Kleen you know the additive content in the diesel in your fuel tank.

Also, unlike Tier I gasoline, there is no automobile manufacturers/petroleum refiners "standard" for what constitutes "premium diesel". Thus, I be suspect of the actual quality of "premium diesel" that may be offered at a pump.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:56 PM   #33

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Its here in Virginia at a few select stations. The cetane rating is 50 while most places the rating is 40. Similar to octane ratings for gas.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmusa View Post
Its here in Virginia at a few select stations. The cetane rating is 50 while most places the rating is 40. Similar to octane ratings for gas.
Exactly the opposite...
If your fuel has a high cetane number, it will have a low octane number, and vice versa.

A high cetane rating represents a fuel that can readily ignite and perform better in a diesel engine.
High octane ratings represent a fuel that can resist auto-ignition and have less tendency to “knock” in a gasoline engine.

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:02 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Sounds like that station got a good thing going....ha-ha

Thanks for the link above, if fuel had all that stuff in it, I might be willing to pay the extra $0.30....

All diesel by fed law is ULSD, ultra low sulfur. Even bio fuel is ULSD. There's no more on/off road fuel difference, except the dye and the tax

If one chooses to use this unknown "premium" fuel, I'd be cautious about what type of change can be made to fuel lines, pump seals etc...
... even more cautious if it's a tier 4 emission engine
Right! Now, even heating oil must meet ULSD standards: https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=5890
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:47 AM   #36

Attached should be a .pdf of the Amoco product. It was a Standard Oil product back in the day before both American Oil and its Standard brand were bought up by BP. It appears to be still available at some BP stations.
OverDo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:00 AM   #37

Off topic alert!
Years back a small company I hauled for had a big job about 50 miles out. His transfer tank was not big enough to feed all his Cats for a day so we set another tank on my tool truck, and "mounted" it with straps. On the way to work I was flagged over for CMV "safety check." That tank was on my mind when he asked "What kind of fuel?" so I said "Off Road of course." "You better not! HEY, WE GOT ONE!" Should of seen the look on his face when he poured the sample out of my gasoline tank into the tester...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel