Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Prep for Winter in Southwest

We'll be doing our first Snowbird Winter in the Southwest, and are concerned about what precautions or preparations we need to make for colder weather possibilities. I'm primarily concerned about frozen water pipes.
Our Itenerary: October 1- 10, Denver, a few few days near Durango, a few days in Edgewood, NM. October 11 - 31: Sedona, AZ to Yosemite to Huntington Beach, CA and back to Sedona. We plan on being around Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Edgewood, NM through Thanks giving and then to Tucson for December - February.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to 45acp
Depends on the winter. Last year was the coldest I've seen in Tucson in the 34 years we have lived here. Some winters it only freezes once or twice. If you are in the MH with the heat on probably the only thing that will freeze is the incoming water line. If you know it is going to freeze just let the kitchen sink fauset drip a little and you will usually be all right. I have never winterized my MH and the heat is not on during the winter. Never had any damage but I don't know if a line has frozen, how ever they have never broken. Just my experience, I'm sure someone has had a bad experience. There are colder areas in Tucson due to elevation changes. Bill
Old 08-23-2011, 11:50 PM   #3

DITTO, 45acp's post, if your in the coach with the heat on, you should not freeze up, in the south; can't speek to Denver in Oct. though. Water hose maybe! Last winter in Parker Dam area, was the first time in a fellow RV'ers 17 years at the park that he had even frozen a hose up.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:58 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Last year in Tucson we had frozen outside hoses, actually the stand pipe and valve at the RV park froze. With the furnace on the basement pipes were fine. JUst take on water in your fresh water tank so you can live normally using your pump.

Some leave the water running a little at night to prevent freezing; others disconnect and use on board water for a few days until freezing passes.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:57 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We experienced night temps in the high teens and low twenties in NM and northern AZ last year. I drained and stowed the waterline and filter at night and placed a 100W drop-light in the service compartment and compartment that contains the water pump to keep temps up.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:59 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for all of your replies. I'll rest a lot easier now. Lotsa things for a First-timer to think about.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:54 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
You might consider heat tape for the water line. It will keep you from having to disconnect the water hose.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
FYI---we will be in Tucson---Rincon Country West on Mission Rd---from January until the end of MArch---space 770. Our good friends from Brimley Michigan will be there as well. Come on by.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:57 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Thanks njs42, We'll look forward to seeing you. At the moment, we're planning on being at Desert Trails, but, we're looking actively seeking workamping opportunities in the Tucson area. Do you know if Rincon West or any of the other facilties work with workampers ?
Michguy, Spring Lake, Michigan
Old 08-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi there from Canada. We have a little cold weather here so I hope I can help a little. The advice on letting a tap drip is great. You should do it for hot and cold taps located the furthest from the outside water connection.
Also open doors or drawers where water lines run, washroom, kitchen sink, etc. If it goes down below 20 F you can put a small heater to blow under sink etc

If it goes below that------------than do what we do--------------and head south to the good old USA. LOL

Pitbull
pitbull is offline   Reply With Quote