Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2019, 09:18 PM   #15

Frank/OP,

BTW...can I ask what are they asking for this coach?
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2019, 09:43 PM   #16

I would walk or maybe even run from it. When I was looking, I saw several that were rusty on the frame in various places and around the generator. Those were automatically out of the running for me. Mine looks great everywhere you look underneath and I still have had problems with things not working correctly so why invite even more trouble that what just happens with these things. There are so many wire connections to chase down if they don't make good contact and all of that rust is bound to add to the problem.
Dave
Woodman018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:20 AM   #17

Most motorhomes will have some rust, but this one has way too much. Buying a used MH is somewhat of a crapshoot anyway. Why lengthen the odds against you?

10' pole and all that.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
That is one nasty looking CC. I would think it was around a lot of salt to be in that condition. Only good thing I see is that it has an ISL motor.

For a good selection of 32 footers, check out https://www.kenaicoach.com//DealerFiles/
Yea I have checked at Kenai in Junction City. He has a coach with the similar floorplan with afew interior updates for $130k !! This is a Intrigue 32’ Venture with the isl400 asking $60k. Made me think it might be worth some investment but based on all the comments here I am not so hot on it anymore.

I will take another look on it and try to inspect the title and IF we want to go further check a carfax.

Thank you everyone for your replies. Looking at a nice looking 2007 Itasca Meridian 36 with all service records today.
frank33v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:24 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Spend some time on RV Trader. Tons of product there. If you are looking for something in the 06-09 range don’t let the posted prices scare you away. Most owners think their units are worth more than what the actual market is willing to pay. The Value of units of that era have dropped dramatically in value more recently. Also, I would strongly suggest that you pay the money to have a qualified inspector go through it as part of any purchase agreement. A report from the right inspector can save you tons of money and help minimize you buying a unit because of the eye candy affect.

Best of luck!
Chargerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:59 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Spend some time on RV Trader. Tons of product there. If you are looking for something in the 06-09 range don’t let the posted prices scare you away. Most owners think their units are worth more than what the actual market is willing to pay. The Value of units of that era have dropped dramatically in value more recently. Also, I would strongly suggest that you pay the money to have a qualified inspector go through it as part of any purchase agreement. A report from the right inspector can save you tons of money and help minimize you buying a unit because of the eye candy affect.

Best of luck!
Chargerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:25 PM   #21

I bought a rust bucket back in '04. The owners lived in Fairbanks, AK and wintered in Florida and had some relatives in the rust belt they visited on the spring and fall trips. So, salted roads.

I immediately sprayed and foam brushed everything underneath with Jasco Prep & Primer. Inexpensive phosphoric acid solution that changes rust back into metal (with some loss of strength). It stabilized the rust. Took 4 days of leisure work.

Than over the next 12 years of ownership I repaired things myself as they cropped up. Very few items were due to the rust. Shops always said it was going to cost more because of the rust, I'd argue with them and was seldom overcharged. But as I said, I'd usually do the work myself.

Lots of rusted through minor items, like solenoid connectors and things like that, but never an engine or chassis component needed replacing. I did have the master cylinder go out, but that was above the rust zone.

Of course mine only looked 'similar' to yours but if you can get it for a very good price, I wouldn't be to worried about it, especially if you're a DIY'er with knowledge of all the automotive arts.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:02 PM   #22

Thanks for all the replies folks but the coach sold today to someone else.

No worries we found an immaculate 2007 Itaska Meridian 36G today we love. Deposit placed on it pending more inspection.
frank33v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:36 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
For the next one you are considering I will mention this.... I looked for years and finally settled on a one owner coach which had always been kept in a heated shed. Nice rig but far from mint. Last week an absolutely mint 32 Allure came on the market (for the same price) and sold in 48 hours. I was bummed but I had given my word to buy the other coach and my Mrs (as I was grumbling) reminded me that keeping my word is important to me.... A couple of points, there will always be another coach but if you want a particular one and its a bargain, in this market you have to move fast. Otherwise dealers cash them out and add a gazillion dollars to the price and get it. If I was younger, I would have waited for the market to cool off. I did wait three years but now I needed to do something. Also, if you are serious about a coach think of Carfax or similar. I looked up one I was carefully considering and found a totally different reality than what the dealer told me. Best of luck and sorry for the longwinded post..........
Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:24 PM   #24

I agree way too much rust, my 2002 coach does not look anything like that and the guy I bought it from lived within a mile of the ocean in Florida, though he only owned it for about 2 years..
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, engine, purchase, rust