Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2017, 08:06 PM   #1

Prestolite Alternator rebuilt

2014 CS, 31k. Left on our annual Thanksgiving Trip to Destin,Fla. I knew I had a new noise from the engine and after listening I thought it would be either a Idler or the alternator, decided to leave anyway as it was not too bad. Alternator was still working on the way down but still had the noise. Arrived after dark so next day I removed the belt and it was the alternator - bad bearings. Remove it and took it to Panama alternator and starter and had it rebuilt, new bearings and shims. I had it back in 4 hrs. Great people,family owned. 231.00, was a good price, as I have had too have others rebuilt at home. This was a Leese Neville / Prestolite alternator 200 amp - same company with the starter recall. Prestolite bought out Leese Neville sometime ago according to Panama alt and starter. He say not many options for 200 amp alt.
I was wandering if anyone else has had to repair / replace their alt? I would consider 31k a little premature for this. I'm not looking for anything from Prestolite moneywise, just posting as a possible heads up for others, and a smiley face for Panama Alt. and Starter.
Thanks, and hope the post may help someone else that might be in the panhandle area. ML...
mlwhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2017, 01:42 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Good to hear there are choices like that. I like the idea of rebuilding something better than the "Throw it away" mentality so many have these days. People always talk about cutting pollution and still throw so much in the garbage.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:34 PM   #3

I installed a Delco 28si. Got it at Napa upgraded from 160 amp to 200. Its about half the weight and you can get it most places. If yours fails again, I would look into that option
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:51 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I had one rebuilt last year. The guy asked if it was out of a diesel pusher when he got it apart. He figured it was because of all of the dirt and cr*p inside. He said that they don't live long typically because they are in backwards and in the rear where all of the road dirt is kicked up
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:10 PM   #5

Yep, Delco is what the re-builder recommended. He said he would have to order it and would take a couple of days and a couple of hundred dollars more if I was interested in doing that in the future (he had already re-built mine). Time will tell I suppose.

Have not thought of the dirt, and mounted backwards thing, sounds reasonable though.

Thanks for looking ml..
mlwhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlwhitt View Post
2014 CS, 31k. Left on our annual Thanksgiving Trip to Destin,Fla. I knew I had a new noise from the engine and after listening I thought it would be either a Idler or the alternator, decided to leave anyway as it was not too bad. Alternator was still working on the way down but still had the noise. Arrived after dark so next day I removed the belt and it was the alternator - bad bearings. Remove it and took it to Panama alternator and starter and had it rebuilt, new bearings and shims. I had it back in 4 hrs. Great people,family owned. 231.00, was a good price, as I have had too have others rebuilt at home. This was a Leese Neville / Prestolite alternator 200 amp - same company with the starter recall. Prestolite bought out Leese Neville sometime ago according to Panama alt and starter. He say not many options for 200 amp alt.

I was wandering if anyone else has had to repair / replace their alt? I would consider 31k a little premature for this. I'm not looking for anything from Prestolite moneywise, just posting as a possible heads up for others, and a smiley face for Panama Alt. and Starter.

Thanks, and hope the post may help someone else that might be in the panhandle area. ML...

It is surprising that the alternator bearings would go in such short time and milage. My LN 200 amp alternator was rebuilt last year at 14 years and 110,000 miles. You did the right thing by rebuilding rather than replacing.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
I had one rebuilt last year. The guy asked if it was out of a diesel pusher when he got it apart. He figured it was because of all of the dirt and cr*p inside. He said that they don't live long typically because they are in backwards and in the rear where all of the road dirt is kicked up
I agree your failure was a tad premature. Mine was 12 years old, 75K, when it bit the dust. I agree the comment by the rebuilder.
I will add that after removing my full width rear flap, I find the engine compartment and the rear of the coach in general stays a lot cleaner.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #8

Your better off rebuilding than replacing and using genuine OEM parts. If you are going to replace your alternator , try to get a new (not rebuilt one).Most times all that's required is replacing the bearings and brushes. Some of the rebuilt units use poor quality parts and the unit will not last very long.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:55 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
My Leece-Neville alternator went out at 70,000 miles. I had it rebuilt at Alternators of Knoxville for $128 plus tax.
ronsteward is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator