Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2023, 06:31 AM   #57

Since I'm retired and not in a hurry I drive at the same speed 55 to 60 in the RIGHT lane on interstates. When in my 36 ft class A Motorhome other drivers pass on the left without much of an issue and in the rare occasion that I pass somebody I immediately get back in the right lane. My toad is a Chevy Sonic that I drive at the same 55 to 60 mph. I've had other drivers roar up behind me in the RIGHT lane lights flashing horn blasting expecting me to get out of their way. If I was anywhere but the RIGHT lane I would understand their frustration. Keep in mind that on most interstates 45mph is the minimum. My only takeaway is that both the written and behind the wheel driving tests administered by most states is way too easy to pass. No passing on the right should be more stringently enforced when the left lane is readily available for passing. I've heard that a slow poke law is being considered in some states for those who occupy the left or center lane.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2023, 07:16 AM   #58

Exactly . There is a difference between correct driving and what I call destructive politeness. I see some people holding back from a maneuver, or stop sign sequence, to where they cause the problem or unsafe situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
.....Someone else mentioned passing lanes and being forced to hit the brakes and pull to the shoulder. On short passing lanes, I let a few cars go by and then start coming back over. If someone wants to block me, I'm not going into the weeds and risking my life, I merge, and they can take their chances against 48K pounds or back off. This is not aggressive driving, it's Driver's Training!
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 07:36 AM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Why the need to block others from passing? I read on here all the time about driving slower, not in a rush, retired, no hurry, only drive 200 miles per day, and the like. If that's really the attitude, someone speeding up to pass a lumbering RV shouldn't bother anyone. Just wait until there is a very clear path to pass an even slower vehicle if needed.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:45 AM   #60

I drive a lot, and I can say that your attitude is the most important thing. There are A-holes out there, and more are being bred every day. Drive defensively and try not to worry about the other person. Its hard, but I just think about me, my family, and my property. I try to never be in a hurry to get anywhere. But there are a few things you can do to minimize issues.
1. Stay out of fast lanes- usually the left. give people a place to be crazy
2. keep your distance, if someone cuts in front of you, back off
3. when getting into turn lanes, or exits, signal and move over as soon as the lane begins, don't give a vehicle a way to cut inside
4. Avoid high traffic times- several apps and common sense can help here
5. know your route, research GPS, Google Earth, Maps, etc. know where your going and have a good understanding of the area. Large lots, places to stop, curves, etc..
6. Maintain your equipment- breaking down on the highway is bad
7. A smile and wave often defuses an A-hole from going off.

Could probably write all day, but these are a few main ones
Dillon_fwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:36 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rymancn View Post
Give the smooth jazz station a try. I think you'd immediately notice a difference
Yes, Mad Max road war ENGAGED. That would work with my sister just fine but make me homicidal/suicidal I think. But I definitely get what you mean. 70's soft rock for me. No speed metal in the RV.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 09:53 AM   #62

Cool Big Rig driving & aggressive drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyqk View Post
Just completed a trip to south florida and my what an experience of aggresive driving!!!!

Couple of time had plenty ,plenty of room and while changing lanes,some were three lanes to two lanes,some to make a turn. While watching in the mirror i could see drivers continue to accelerate. Couple times while changing lanes the car would continue up along side to the drive axle. WOW!!!

So.....what tactic do you use to prevent this from happening??

Thks
I have over 300,000 miles driving a commercial coach bus and here is how I handled bad drivers.
First you have to relax and not let them get to you. I spent the first year driving in places like downtown Chicago and the stress can be overwhelming and your need to “ROAD RAGE” can be a powerful reaction. After a while I figured out how to relax which is much better for no stress situations.
My experience to lane changing is :
1. Check your mirror
2. Signal your intention
3. Check your mirror again and begin your move.
4. If lane is not clear leave your directional on and repeat the previous steps.
There are many reasonable people out there which will give you an opening. If you have a line of cars (I call them “wolf packs”. groups of cars racing down the interstate trying to pass each other) they will probably not let you in. Your best strategy is to plan well ahead of your RV when it comes to lane changes.
In the same respect when passing other vehicles give them plenty of room before moving back in front of them especially semi’s. I move back over when I see the passed vehicle’s headlight…minimum.
Another way to improve lane change is to maintain proper following distance which gives you more time to plan.
The proper following distance is not determined by distance but by time. The timing for large vehicles is 5 seconds between. You can pick a sign or other land mark along the highway to make that determination. When the vehicle in front of me passes a sign I just count to determine proper distance.
Good luck / stay cool
Bobiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 11:22 AM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
There's no requirement to give these idiots advanced notice.

Not according to the California Vehicle Code:
Quote:

Vehicle Code - VEH

DIVISION 11. RULES OF THE ROAD [21000 - 23336]

( Division 11 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

CHAPTER 6. Turning and Stopping and Turning Signals [22100 - 22113]

( Chapter 6 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

Any signal of intention to turn right or left shall be given continuously during the last 100 feet traveled by the vehicle before turning.
(Enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3.)

Lane changes have been legally identified as "turning right or left"...

Old 03-24-2023, 11:50 AM   #64

Heed the words of George C. Scott in "The New Centurions"

These threads always remind of the advice given by the George C. Scott character in the movie "The New Centurions" when his younger partner get upset about something - he tells him "There's always another 'Adam Henry' around the next corner" - his point being that if one is upset or angry and hence "off his game" he won't be as ready to deal with the next one as he otherwise might be. And there is always a next one. After nearly 60 years of riding motorcycles in all kinds of traffic conditions I have developed a fairly detached attitude toward the actions and reactions of other road users - just assume that they are out to get you and drive (or ride) accordingly. Whether they are out to get you intentionally or because of incompetence or inattention doesn't really matter. Even if you're in a relatively huge vehicle and will likely come out ahead in the event of a collision you'll still be dealing with the paperwork for months afterward.
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 12:02 PM   #65

Quote:
While watching in the mirror i could see drivers continue to accelerate. Couple times while changing lanes the car would continue up along side to the drive axle. WOW!!!

No one wants to be behind a box, which is something RV drivers should be aware of, where they can't see around them which is why you get drivers speeding up to pass you instead of letting you change lanes, right or wrong that is why it happens. The best I have found is to just stay in the right lane as much as possible and keep a good safe distance in front of you so people can pass you and get over safely. This may mean you need to adjust your safe distance in front of you once they pass.
Gary Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 02:47 PM   #66

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Slow down and let them by
Old 03-24-2023, 03:10 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2459 View Post
Slow down and let them by

If your answer to every traffic situation is to slow down, no wonder they want to get around you.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 03:15 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Its worked more than once for me.

I start swerving like I'm drunk. That usually gets them away from me,
As far as them cutting me off, I don't give them the chance tho I'm not going to chance a wreck either.

10/18/19 Dutch has passed but still travels with us in our hearts :(
mikee409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 03:41 PM   #69

Nothing - the denser the traffic, the less patient drivers become. Just remember - you are bigger than they are! However, In a small eastern Washington state town, I was half way into changing lanes when a driver tried to pass me on the right using the bicycle lane. There are idiots everywhere.
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 03:42 PM   #70

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Watch 4-wheeler Friday on youtube. Though this is basically a big-rig trucker video it shows all the stupid stuff people in a 4-wheeler will do.

Heck my last trip a few weeks ago I had a car exit while passing me. It was close, he made it. Then about 30 miles down the road I was in the right lane, being passed by a semi and some idiot in a hotrod mustang did a cut between us when there wasn't much more than a few feet clearance between him and the semi, and between him and us.

Idiots...
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent