RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2018, 09:00 PM   #15

Thanks. I think all that is air on this coach is the e-brake. I believe that the brakes are hydraulic. If I am wrong, let me know.
npx84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2018, 09:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
The DOT date code oval is only on one side of the tire and as luck would have it, usually on the inside. Flashlight and creeper needed to find them.
Thank you! I knew it had to be somewhere. Silly me for thinking it would be on the outside. Now that it is below zero outside, my curiosity has lessoned at this point. Lol I will however look when it warms up. My guess is that they are pretty old. I plan on replacing them before we head out on the first trip. It just hurts a little buying tires.
npx84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #17

...if hydraulic brakes, there is a whole other set of issues with periodic maint. of this type of brake..... to include periodic fluid changes...... Also, some hydraulic disk brakes of that era had issues with either 2-piston calipers slide rail lubing or with moisture intrusion into the piston gaskets/seals.....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
I can never understand the temptation to buy cheaper filters, cheap fuel or cheap oil.
I'm with you Old Scout BIG time.

I personally LOVE the Beaver MH line.

Now everyone has given some real good suggestions mostly on the engine, generator and other related mechanicals. But there are soooo many other things you should/need to check and service so that when you do go out this summer these other systems will be good to go. And start a maintenance log yourself of everything you do for future reference.

Even though you've owned a couple of other MH's I'm going to list these things JIC you don't know about them or may just forget. And also for others that may stumble across this thread down the road.

So here are some of these other things you should check, clean, adjust, flush, examine, or whatever applies should include but not limited to:

• Do everything you can to procure the user & maintenance manuals of all your onboard systems if you don't already have them (this will take quite some time to find here at this forum and online, but will really save you down the road)

• If this coach has a standard HWH, do a thorough cleaning with white vinegar and change out the anode if it's a Suburban HWH. If it's a Atwood HWH, it won't have an anode. While you're there, clean the propane tube and flute, check and adjust the flame if necessary and so on. Video's online on how to do this. Then make sure the HWH runs properly on electric & propane.

• Sanitize the fresh water tank with bleach and inspect and clean the fresh water pump and screen then test the fresh water system and make sure it pumps water to all areas in the coach without any leaks. While we're talking about water, keep a little water in the toilet at all time to keep the seal from drying out and make sure they don't leak and become dry

• Replace fresh water filter cartridges if you have them. If you don't consider installing a water filter system in your wet bay so ALL water that comes into your coach is filtered properly first

• AC conditioners - get up on the roof and remove the cowlings and clean the evaporator coils and oil front shaft bearing on the motor with a good machine oil. Then go inside the coach and clean the return air filters. Then go around to all your inside fans and make sure they're clean and operate correctly

• While you're on the roof check everything that has sealant around the edges and repair if needed. Don't forget to also check the side seams around the whole edge of the roof and both end caps

• Fridge - check, test and clean that thoroughly and learn how to use it properly. It's probably at least a 2 way fridge so those functions need to work properly. Get the manual for your fridge and READ it. Seems every summer, this forum is loaded with problematic fridge questions

• When you buy new tires, I highly suggest you also buy a TPMS

• Check and see if you have a surge protector device to protect your entire coach with incoming shore power. If not get one. Several options here.

• Check your main power cord that you use for shore power. Make sure it's in good shape. Then with some 150 grit sandpaper, lightly sand the prongs on the plug and then spray with an electrical lube

• Get on your creeper and park your fanny under the chassis for quite awhile and look for hanging wiring harnesses, cracked, old or deteriorating rubber components, exposed and corroded wiring connections, and generally speaking get everything in order under there. Also don't forget to grease the entire front end & drive shaft while your under there or take it to a shop. Just make sure they get ALL the zerk fittings.

• Check the condition and operation of your leveling system. Lots of different things to check here

• Battery bay - this is a big one. Seems everybody always has battery problems of one kind or another along the way. You're a mechanic. You know what to do here

• Fill all sinks full of water, then drain one at a time while looking under the cabinets and check for any leaks

• When the weather warms up, run your generator and get it up to full temp (about 5 minutes or so) then turn on both AC units, or an AC unit and the microwave or whatever, but put a good load on the generator and see if everything runs good for a long while

• If the inside light bulbs have not been changed out to LED's do that. Your batteries will love you and the coach will stay a lot cooler in the summer. If you really want to do this right, replace all the outside and running lights too

• Check ALL inside alarms to see if they are out of date. If so replace them. If the dates are good, replace all batteries

• Replace all fire extinguishers. There have been a plethora of recent recalls on these things. Consider getting foam extinguisher. The cheap chemical Kiddie one's will do a lot of destruction to surrounding things if you ever have to use one. (Read up on this)

• Service the entry steps. This is another area that's often neglected and breaks down a lot because folks don't care of them properly

• Go to your propane tank area and check hoses/piping/fittings, regulator and so on. Make sure this area is solid and safe

• At your first opportunity when you're able to clean and dump all your waste tanks, take a can of silicone lubricant with you and spray a little on the pull out handle shafts to be sure they slide easy

• While you're working on all these things over time, take an inventory of all the different kinds of fuses your coach uses and then go buy a bunch of spares and keep them with your tools

As you can see, I hate one line answers but this enough for now. I'm tired of typing but it was fun.

Good luck to you. Nice coach. 330hp CAT. Sweet. Take care of her and she'll take care of you.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent