Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2021, 11:31 AM   #1

Private Sale Question

Hi all. I have someone interested in my RV. I am on the east coast, they are on the west coast. The only obstacle is the distance to travel to pick it up or have it delivered. They have asked if I would meet them half way which I am hesitant to do. They havenít seen the RV (other than pictures) and final price hasnít been discussed at all. Feeling a little funny about the whole thing, any thoughts?

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2021, 11:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRover37BA View Post
Hi all. I have someone interested in my RV. I am on the east coast, they are on the west coast. The only obstacle is the distance to travel to pick it up or have it delivered. They have asked if I would meet them half way which I am hesitant to do. They havenít seen the RV (other than pictures) and final price hasnít been discussed at all. Feeling a little funny about the whole thing, any thoughts?

Thanks!
You are right to be concerned. Why you would agree to drive half way across the USA, to meet a stranger, with whom you have no agreed upon price, is beyond my comprehension. Distance isn't the "only obstacle", IMO.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:45 AM   #3

The buyer should be expected to travel to the seller. Once youíve come to terms, meeting half way, for them to take delivery, can be discussed.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:47 AM   #4

Agree with above. I wouldn't do that unless the sale was completed prior to the trip (with the money safely in my bank account). Besides being in unfamiliar territory, I would imagine you would be much more likely to accept a lowball offer so you wouldn't have wasted the time and money getting to the meeting place. If the buyer is really interested, they can easily fly to where you are and drive home.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:48 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:51 AM   #6

Thanks all! You have all confirmed what was spinning in my head already!
Old 04-07-2021, 01:04 PM   #7

I once did a similar sale. I only had to drive 400 miles. I took a nonrefundable 5k deposit
Old 04-07-2021, 01:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
The buyer should be expected to travel to the seller. Once youíve come to terms, meeting half way, for them to take delivery, can be discussed.

Agreed, only option in my book.
768Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 01:11 PM   #9

Also, how would they legally drive it home? Generally once they have the title, they can get a temporary registration from your state, to allow them to drive it home. Or if it is in their state, they can get the title work done, and get a registration. But if you are both in a different state, they will likely push you to leave your tags on it. I might be willing to leave my tags on so a local driver could get a vehicle home, but not to allow someone to drive back across the country. If something happened, you could be on the hook.

Is your price too low that someone is willing to travel that far to pick it up? Just a thought. If the price is not too low, then the whole thing smells that much worse.
Old 04-07-2021, 02:36 PM   #10

Its not the tags that are a problem, its the insurance. No tags is a ticket.

Are you going to let the buyer drive away on your coverage ?

You need your tags to cancel your coverage in some states and you really want to do that before a complete stranger drives away. Make him prove coverage in his name.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Its not the tags that are a problem, its the insurance. No tags is a ticket.

Are you going to let the buyer drive away on your coverage ?

You need your tags to cancel your coverage in some states and you really want to do that before a complete stranger drives away. Make him prove coverage in his name.
You don't have to make the buyer prove anything. There is no follow-on liability once your coverage is canceled, especially if you have a bill of sale (which the seller absolutely should get and keep) then it is entirely on the buyer what happens.

But there are many red flags about this. Deal IN PERSON and ONLY for cash. The buyer can get themselves to the seller's location if they are legit.
Old 04-07-2021, 02:48 PM   #12

Thanks again everyone. I told the buyers I couldnít help them with delivering the rig and was reluctant to sell it to someone sight unseen. If they can afford the asking price in cash they can make the trip. Just doesnít pass the smell test to me...
Old 04-07-2021, 03:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
You don't have to make the buyer prove anything. There is no follow-on liability once your coverage is canceled, especially if you have a bill of sale (which the seller absolutely should get and keep) then it is entirely on the buyer what happens.
I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think simply cancelling your INSURANCE coverage can absolve you from Liability. In most states, I believe liability remains with the registered owner (seller) until registered by a new owner, in his name. A "Bill of Sale", signed by both parties, MAY be helpful as a defense but I think it is the owner who's name is on the Title that has Liability. THAT is why both parties should go to a Title Transfer place (or a licensed dealer) that will likely require the Bill of Sale to complete the transaction.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 03:31 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think simply cancelling your INSURANCE coverage can absolve you from Liability. In most states, I believe liability remains with the registered owner (seller) until registered by a new owner, in his name. A "Bill of Sale", signed by both parties, MAY be helpful as a defense but I think it is the owner who's name is on the Title that has Liability. THAT is why both parties should go to a Title Transfer place (or a licensed dealer) that will likely require the Bill of Sale to complete the transaction.
Here in WA the seller has to immediately report the sale over the internet. Once that's done you are not responsible and it's up to the buyer to register it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale