Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2021, 03:34 PM   #29

Hearthside Grove in Petroskey, MI, $170.00 a night.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2021, 03:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
I don’t know anything about private sections but I’m sure glad people buy these nice RV resort sites so I can rent from them when we come for a week or two.
We need more luxury RV resorts so I can rent more and in different places.
Like Crystal Lakes in Naples, Traverse Bay in Traverse City.
Etc & Etc,
Keep building and I’ll keep renting
We do it all the time....Travers City is beautiful.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:54 PM   #31

$45k deeded waterfront lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaDave View Post
Just to be clear. You're saying it's a better investment to spend $1mil on a waterfront home than 45K on a deeded waterfront RV lot?

If so, two thoughts. Liquidity, and risk of ruin.

Granted, if you're looking at a 450K waterfront lot in the keys, and $450K for a new motorhome to park on it, yeah that wouldn't make a ton of sense financially.
Would you point me in the direction of the $45k waterfront lots?
DavidH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:26 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
To each his own. Our main sticks and bricks home is at a ski resort in the Sierra Nevada mountains of CA. We own 2 RV's, one to travel in and one we leave on a permanent spot in an RV park on the Central coast.

My buy in cost was $35k which included an old 5th wheel. We replaced it with new 40' fifth wheel. Total cash out lay was about $110k including lease rights and the new fifthwheel. $600 per month space lease with the right to resell my lease should I decide to leave.

I was doing some house shopping in the same central coast town for with my niece this past week. Lowest priced home on the market was tear down 540 sq ft shack priced at $890k! Most liveable homes started about $1.5 million.

I think if you do the math you will see the logic behind our decision.
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:55 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Years ago we had our camper on a private campground. After about 6 years we open it and closed it one year and never camped on the lake that year. The next ye as r we sold it.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:03 PM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Owned in a high end Class A resort that served as an anchor for deep Winter in a great location. Tired of it and sold at a 20% profit. Have a second Class A lot in Northern Idaho that we love for the Summer, in a golf resort. Costs me $2400/yr in HOA. I am there 5 mos minimum now and travel the other seasons. I have a community, outdoor living, golf, and at a low cost. I have to tell you...spots in RV resorts are drying up fast. You want to pay $1400-4800 a month to stay in a high end Class A resort, have at it, if you can find one...some of these places no longer rent monthly, $160 and up per night... and by the way, before you get righteous and tell me you’d never stay in one of them, I just drove up the I5 from Northern CA to Seattle...virtually every park, regardless of quality, was 90% full...OUT OF SEASON! I needed a couple of days in a park in Tacoma for business and couldn’t find one with space. And also, BTW, get ready to see a lot of $50/night+ this Summer.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:27 PM   #35

IF that drives you nuts this will really drive you crazy!

I know people who have an RV, store it in an enclosed garage and use it to tailgate at their college's football games.

That's their whole use of it.

Of course if you consider the private plane they fly in on then you probably would think they are doing OK.

I have actually considered buying a spot where I could fly too and either enjoy the RV there or take it on a rolling vacation. I can see why someone would do it.

But in the end a condo would indeed make more financial sense.

The best financial sense though is probably live in the smallest house you can deal with, share one car with your partner, never eat out, turn the thermostat to 60 in the winter and open the windows in the summer........
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:37 PM   #36

Beech house vs MH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWBGE View Post
So I've noticed that many of the high end RV parks have private sections that don't get leased. Many of these have Big Class As that basically stay there

We want to move around and still be comfortable. But if I was just going to stay in one place, I would buy another vacation house.
This is a classic case of "to each his own", personally I would never own a beech home, no matter the cost. Possibly the likes and dislikes of those in "high end" section differ from those of the original poster.

I take my coffee black while my wife takes hers with 50% chocolate milk, 40% coffee, 10% sugar - yet we somehow manage to coexist.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:07 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaDave View Post
Just to be clear. You're saying it's a better investment to spend $1mil on a waterfront home than 45K on a deeded waterfront RV lot?

If so, two thoughts. Liquidity, and risk of ruin.

Granted, if you're looking at a 450K waterfront lot in the keys, and $450K for a new motorhome to park on it, yeah that wouldn't make a ton of sense financially.
Where are there waterfront lots for 45k? I do not even care if a lot is waterfront. I just want a nice spot in the south where I can live in my DP.

We were full timers when my husband passed away in August in Michigan. I have been trying to sell it in Michigan because I need a place to live and it is too big with too many memories. There has been little interest in it up here. It seems like there is more interest in TT and 5rs here because everyone has a truck.

I prefer Florida, that's where home was before we went FT. If y'all can point me to a place with nice lots I would really appreciate it. Oh and I can't drive it, so wherever I land is where I stay.
ahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:48 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith55 View Post
IF that drives you nuts this will really drive you crazy!

I know people who have an RV, store it in an enclosed garage and use it to tailgate at their college's football games.

That's their whole use of it.

Of course if you consider the private plane they fly in on then you probably would think they are doing OK.

I have actually considered buying a spot where I could fly too and either enjoy the RV there or take it on a rolling vacation. I can see why someone would do it.

But in the end a condo would indeed make more financial sense.

The best financial sense though is probably live in the smallest house you can deal with, share one car with your partner, never eat out, turn the thermostat to 60 in the winter and open the windows in the summer........
Honestly I have no issue with that. It's a depreciating asset that they use for social (and probably business entertainment) so it's a tax writeoff and probably used to generate sales.

Some good insights on this thread. Which was the point. I'll never just park my coach in a spot, but I can see me owning at some.point and renting when I'm not there.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:33 PM   #39

Thanks GWBGE.

Finally a thread that perked my ears up. I learned a lot!
diesel odor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:40 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Full timed for several years not really planning to buy but always looking. Found a lot near Orlando 2 years ago in a golf / tennis rv resort , brick pavers all utilities and a 10x12 stick built to hurricane code , restroom /laundry /storage shed. With great activities if wanted and people I added a 20x55 covered aluminum rv port and attached 700sq “ home/ casita last year. Taxes are low ,it provides a home base ,rentable (but we don’t) landscape maintained. We stayed put all last year due to COVID except for a couple trips and we felt blessed to have things fall in place. but that wasn’t our plan. Travel 6-8 months with a home base near Disney is our happy place. The grands are happy to visit ... we found not so much in AZ . After the last crazy year we feel lucky to have had a locked in place to return to that’s reasonable who knows what’s coming next. If we choose , we can winter elsewhere and be assured it’s taken care of without breaking the budget like the huge house I had before.
Fortunately everyone can find their own happy place
Old 03-08-2021, 06:38 AM   #41

Same thing happens here in Florida but with Boats . There lot’s and lot’s of big 100 Ft. and longer Yachts that do not have engines in them, because they never leave the Marina dock. They are only used like a beach, lake house, Corporate Party House. We Florida residents call them Dock Queens, they are allways plugged into shore power. So there is no need for Big Diesel Engines or generators. Keep in mind the Engines cost more than the Boat, so they save a lot of Money to use for Entertainment...
Florida Rang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:05 AM   #42

Other factors

It doesn’t make a lot of sense financially. But most vacation homes don’t come with 24hr security, a club house, pickleball/tennis courts, cable, Wi-Fi and the list goes on. The social aspect is the only reason we stay at these kinds of parks.
Old Folks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rv park