Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2019, 03:51 PM   #1

Problem with bathroom GFI

I replaced the house batteries and later noticed that the bathroom GFI tripped, but will not reset.

1. Small LED light on GFI is on

2. The 4 outlets downstream will not function, none are GFI

3. Have power at the 15 amp breaker and it is not tripped
4. Kitchen GFI and all standard outlets downstream function; powered by a different breaker
5. Prior to battery install, inverter off, all breakers flipped off, removed main negative cable first and attached last.
6. All other electrical functioning normally
7. Inverter functioning properly no error lights
8. Other than replacing batteries, no other work was performed and no previous electrical issues.
9. Replaced GFI, prior to doing so, no power coming to the outlet.
10. Disconnected lower wiring to GFI, still will not reset.

Thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2019, 03:59 PM   #2

I’m thinking that if you have power to the gfi then there is a “fault” down stream or a bad gfi. disconnect the downstream circuit and see if it will reset, if not, bad gfi
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:12 PM   #3

Your question reminded me of additional conditions
Old 03-30-2019, 04:24 PM   #4

Is your GFCI light red or green? You replaced it because it was bad?
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:25 PM   #5

Kind of a confusing description of the problem. OP say's no power to the GFI ,but the light is on. How is that. The light is on but no power in the GFI and down stream outlets. GFI was good prior to replacing the house batteries. OP then discovered there after that there was no power at the bathroom GFI , he then checked the protection breaker and he had power there. Then he discovered the GFI light was still on and he had no power there. Very unusual condition.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:31 PM   #6

It is confusing. The led light is green. When I removed the original GFI, I checked for current and there was none- It seems the battery install and the GFI issue could be related somehow but perhaps coincidence.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:33 PM   #7

One other thing, when i turn off the breaker, the GFI LED light turns off.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:47 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
It seems to me that the only thing that batteries and 120 volt power have in common is an inverter. Have you verified the inverter is working correctly, and that IT'S GFCI outlet (if one is there) is not tripped?
Old 03-30-2019, 04:49 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can not reset a GFCI outlet if there is no 110 coming to it.

Have you actually put a voltmeter on the wires coming into the GFCI and measured the AC?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:49 PM   #10

It seems like the gf I is bad. If you disconnect the load from the gfci can you reset it? If not the gfci is bad or wired incorrectly.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 05:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSWolf View Post
I replaced the house batteries and later noticed that the bathroom GFI tripped, but will not reset.

1. Small LED light on GFI is on

2. The 4 outlets downstream will not function, none are GFI

3. Have power at the 15 amp breaker and it is not tripped
4. Kitchen GFI and all standard outlets downstream function; powered by a different breaker
5. Prior to battery install, inverter off, all breakers flipped off, removed main negative cable first and attached last.
6. All other electrical functioning normally
7. Inverter functioning properly no error lights
8. Other than replacing batteries, no other work was performed and no previous electrical issues.
9. Replaced GFI, prior to doing so, no power coming to the outlet.
10. Disconnected lower wiring to GFI, still will not reset.

Thoughts?
#9 in your post is what confuses me, can you clarify it a bit?

You say you replaced the GFI but prior to doing so, there was no power to the outlet. How did you determine there was no power? Did you take a reading on the LINE wires that connected to the GFI, or did you mistakenly test the LOAD wires? How, exactly, did you check for power at the GFI?

If you say the panel breaker had power going out, yet there was no power at the outlet but the green light was on, something in that sequence is incorrect as they all cannot be true.

I have some GFI outlets in my home where the LED comes on indicating the outlet has been tripped and no power goes through. I suspect a bad GFI, but you said you replaced it, so something doesn't make sense and you may need to retrace your diagnostic steps.

Go back to the panel and test the breaker for that GFI, again, and confirm you have 120v coming from the panel. Pull the GFI from the cabinet/wall, and confirm which wires are the LINE and which are the LOAD. Test and confirm the LINE wires have 120v. Double check that the GFI is wired correctly to the incoming wires from the panel. If you can confirm the above steps, there is no reason why the GFI should not reset, unless there is an issue with the neutral from the panel to the GFI.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 05:11 PM   #12

I'll have to wait until tomorrow to recheck. In short, if the LED light on the GFI is on, then it should re-set- but won't.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:32 PM   #13

Old 03-30-2019, 09:19 PM   #14

Swap GFI with the other one.... see if problem migrates. Or, do like I do, buy a new one..... IF the problem persists and it's something else, the GFI was good and you save it for a spare.

My money is on it being bad.

BUT... if you replaced it are you SURE the load/line is on the right side?

Lastly... some of these suckers you have to push that reset button WAY the heck in..... A large flat head screw driver (GENTLY so you don't damage the plastic) may be required if you have fat fingers.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem