Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #1

Problems starting

We recently purchased a 1985 GMC Coachman motorhome with a 454 motor, 24 foot. We have to start it several times before it will continue running. It will start and immediately stall. The gas is good, as it had barely any when we bought it so our first stop was a gas station. Does anybody have any ideas as to why it does this? Thank you for your help.
hisandhers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2014, 06:23 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
with the age gas pump or the filter in the tank so have someone check gas pressure and flow. how is the power if it pull ok on long pull forget my ideas
wilson612000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:39 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

Couple of things to check, make sure the automatic choke is operating properly. Then I'd treat it to a new fuel filter. You could also do a volume test to see if the fuel pump is putting out the proper amount of fuel. There are lots of reasons it might start and stall, most having to do with fuel supply. I'd also put a can of carb cleaner in the fuel tank to help clean out any crud from sitting for long periods of time.

There are many forums on GMC 454 engines, do a search on Google for other tips about your starting problem.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had the same problem with our 454. I did some adjusting on the quadrajet choke and that cured the problem. It was not setting up and staying engaged as it should when cold. It worked fine last year, but this year I had problems so it will change over time, even though one would not think so.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #5

We have pretty much narrowed it down to the fuel pump. When we took the carb off, no fuel leaked out of the line. Thank you all who responded to my post.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:27 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisandhers View Post
We have pretty much narrowed it down to the fuel pump. When we took the carb off, no fuel leaked out of the line. Thank you all who responded to my post.
If you crank it, measuring how much fuel it pumps in 30 seconds (caught in a container) can tell you the health of the fuel pump.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:40 PM   #7

The quadrajet does tend to drain back if it can. Don't use a fuel filter with a check valve, the alcohol in the gasoline makes the check valve body swell and do bad things to the fuel flow into the carb DAMHIK.

That being said, how long has it been since you lived with a carbureted engine?

Cool rig!
Old 12-29-2014, 08:16 PM   #8

We had a 83 Pace Arrow until 2006. 2 to 3 pumps on the pedal, pedal to the floor while cranking then let off when started. Always worked on ours. Rinse and repeat if not successful the first time, but not to many times or you will be flooded.
blousteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:03 AM   #9

Well, I live in my '86 Rockwood full time. I bought it as a derelict so I've cleaned the carb, replaced the ignition coil and stuff like that to take care of the ravages of sitting.

You've had the fuel line off but did you watch the choke? Does it snap shut when cold? Does it open normally once the engine is running? Does the choke pull-off open the choke enough to keep the engine running?

I can point you in the right direction with some more information. That said if you just want to pull the carb and have it cleaned, I used this guy after I bought kits from two other vendors.

http://cliffshighperformance.com/

He has the information and the parts you need.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:30 PM   #10

We want to thank everyone for their help!! We managed to fix the problem and it didn't cost us a penny. We decided to put the carb back on and made sure it was properly tightened (it was loose when we took it off). It started right up, no problem. Spent a few hours just hanging out at the RV and started it several times. Never a problem. Again, thank you to all!! Happy New Year!
Old 01-04-2015, 03:34 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Good results...Cost ya $0 even better just some time.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:05 AM   #12

Good for you for fixing it, and for keeping a classic on the road, best of luck to you.
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote