Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2021, 05:10 AM   #1

Progressive EMS shutdown this morning

I've had our power cut off at the Progressive EMS due to low power several times in the past, typically at older RV parks in the north east during hot weather.
This morning I had a first.... the EMS shut down power due to high voltage. One leg was showing 136v and the other 134v. After and hour or so, voltage dropped to acceptable levels and power was restored to the coach.

Working as designed and expected !
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2021, 06:08 AM   #2

I also have a PI EMS. A hard wired unit. They are worth their weight in gold. Very cheap insurance.

I've read where some people have said something like "been RVing for 20 years without one and no problems". My answer to that is, ya, everything works great until it doesn't.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:27 AM   #3

This is one of those features that you hope will never be needed, but would not leave home without it. We have the built in, and also use a Power Watchdog at the pedestal. We did this for two reasons. The built in is one and done for major events. Everything gets protected, but you may have to source a repair. Watchdog has a replaceable module and also has Bluetooth monitoring. I can also live without it if I have to.

Glad to hear the unit worked as designed.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:35 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our Progressive took a lighting hit and protected the RV. It did leave burn spots on the Progressive case and arched back to the post leaving burn spots. To get it unplugged from the post we had taken the plug out of the post and use a hammer to break the plug. Sure glad that took place outside my RV and not in my electrical compart next to the fuse panel

Several RVs were damaged and one was totaled due to burning marks in the ceiling.

It took about two weeks but Progressive did replace it.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:40 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check the voltages at your power panel to see if it agrees with the PI. The PI can go bad.

But if you are running a heavy load on one leg and voltage is dropping lower on that leg and going higher on the other leg with little load, this can be the sign of a weak neutral either in or coming to the RV.

Call PI. They are very helpful on the phone. Also, PI has a lifetime warranty on the units.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:53 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Yaa! PI to the rescue! Lowest cost insurance you can buy!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:49 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
We have seen the same. An expensive add on (ours is hardwired with a monitor in the cockpit area) but sooooo worth the $$$$$
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:14 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Progressive EMS shutdown this morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood58 View Post
………The built in is one and done for major events. Everything gets protected, but you may have to source a repair. Watchdog has a replaceable module………..
Elwood, I believe the PI EMS has replaceable circuit boards (at least mine does), so it’s no more “one and done” than a unit with a replaceable module. Of course, my Progressive unit is about 13 y/o now, but I had a failure about 7 years ago. A three minute phone call had the problem ID’d and a new board overnighted to me, no charge.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems