Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2017, 08:08 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Progressive hard wired surge protector - which one

I want to purchase a Progressive Industries 50 amp hard wired surge protector. One of the choices allows for an optional override switch to be added. The other one does not. Both have the ability to show error codes.

My question is, is it better to play it safe and get the one with the override or don't worry about it.

Thanks for your help,
bleederguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2017, 08:14 AM   #2

Things may have changed but thought Progressive offered a remote [multiple remotes] to allow you to locate the unit inside the basement, yet use the remote[s] displays to monitor things. My remote has a built in bypass switch--don't think it was an "option"???????
PS--looked at the website--think the by-pass switch you ref is used with specific models that don't have a remote display/built-in switch.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:46 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
I have the unit you're looking at and love it.... Not sure why you'd want an "override" switch.... Seems like that would be a negative to me.... My unit checks EVERYTHING BEFORE it allows electrify into my transfer switch.... If there's an issue, it will NOT let anything in my coach so why would I want to override that????

Mines hardwired and is a fantastic unit....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Progressive hard wired surge protector - which one

Good afternoon. We just installed the EMS-HW50C. It comes with a by-pass switch on the remote Display. As per the instructions, the by-pass is for the user to use in the case of a failure (the unit, I am guessing); it does not disable the surge protection portion of the EMS, however, all other functions are disabled in by-pass mode. Hope this helps.
DanGlo52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:05 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We use the HW50C!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:11 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
The HW50C has the remote display which is much easier to mount where you can see it when plugging in. The remote has the override switch on it. The one with the display on the unit itself is a little cheaper, but sometimes hard to mount it where you can see the display.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We bought the unit with the override switch. I believe the difference between the two, one has a simple switch, the other requires more work to override it. I bought mine several years ago, with a $50.00 difference in price.

I took the exact model number of the unit I wanted and id a search by just the number. You'll often find a small odd ball company that has a good deal on them. I saved about $80.00 over some of the bigger companies that sell them.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:53 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We have the hard-wired with the remote display that has a shut off switch, I guess you'd call it an override, right on it. Luckily (knock on wood), our unit has never failed to where I'd have to use that switch. I don't see a reason to pay extra for yet another switch.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:59 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleederguy View Post
I want to purchase a Progressive Industries 50 amp hard wired surge protector. One of the choices allows for an optional override switch to be added. The other one does not. Both have the ability to show error codes.

My question is, is it better to play it safe and get the one with the override or don't worry about it.

Thanks for your help,
If you buy the LCH you will not get the over-ride with it. It's a separate switch. I installed the separate switch in mine. The override still leaves surge protection but disables the other functions. In my case I wanted to be able to use a devise with a floating ground such as my Honda generator. Without the bypass you can not use it, unless you open the box and move a jumper. The same teminals the bypass switch hooks to.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:21 AM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
I installed an HW50C last week. That one is the way to go.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:10 AM   #11

You can run a Honda gen with a hard wired surge protector.......use a normal male 15 amp plug, the type you add on to replace an extension cord plug, and take a short jumper wire from ground terminal to....look'n at back side of plug where the screws are, the terminal on the right......then plug it into gen....and this works even when using another one in parallel...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:30 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
You can run a Honda gen with a hard wired surge protector.......use a normal male 15 amp plug, the type you add on to replace an extension cord plug, and take a short jumper wire from ground terminal to....look'n at back side of plug where the screws are, the terminal on the right......then plug it into gen....and this works even when using another one in parallel...
My coach came with the LCH but if I was adding the unit I would spring for the HW with the remote. The example you gave of tying the neutral and ground together would work for the Honda. But I used just one example. So if my LCH cuts my power off I have to remove a few screws to access the compartment that houses LCH to read the codes, very inconvenient. Others may not have that access issue. If you can afford it get the HW.