Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2016, 08:03 PM   #1

Progressive Ind. EMS-HW50C jumper question

I tried to call Progressive late today but just missed them before they closed.

I have a installed hard wired EMS-HW50C unit before the transfer case. I want to change the time delay from the default to a little more than 2 minutes to save the A/C units. I've read progressives directions and looked at their pic's but to me they are still not quite clear. They refer to a jumper cable. I don't see a cable.

So, I've attached a picture of my installed EMS-HW50C. Is that little tiny black module I'm pointing to in RED the one I need to remove? And if so, does it just pull up off those little pins? My hands are big, so is it safe to gentle just pry up on that module with a very small screw driver and pull it up and out with needle nose pliers?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jumper.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	144129  
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2016, 08:06 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
I tried to call Progressive late today but just missed them before they closed.

I have a installed hard wired EMS-HW50C unit before the transfer case. I want to change the time delay from the default to a little more than 2 minutes to save the A/C units. I've read progressives directions and looked at their pic's but to me they are still not quite clear. They refer to a jumper cable. I don't see a cable.

So, I've attached a picture of my installed EMS-HW50C. Is that little tiny black module I'm pointing to in RED the one I need to remove? And if so, does it just pull up off those little pins? My hands are big, so is it safe to gentle just pry up on that module with a very small screw driver and pull it up and out with needle nose pliers?
yes that it is, just pull up on it, you could try some tweezers, I would make sure of course the power is off before messing around in there with metal tools.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
yes that it is, just pull up on it, you could try some tweezers, I would make sure of course the power is off before messing around in there with metal tools.
Of course.

thx
Old 11-11-2016, 09:23 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
When you get the jumper off, put it back at 90 degrees on just one of the pins. That will safely store it in case you want to put it back later.

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:25 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
I want to change the time delay from the default to a little more than 2 minutes to save the A/C units.
You might want to check on your thermostat and AC units first before you change to the 2 minute delay. I checked with Coleman and their tech said the RVComfor.HP thermostat in ours has a built in delay for compressor protection. Whatever thermostat and AC you have might have the delay already. Because of that, I left my HW50C set for the standard 15 second delay.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
You might want to check on your thermostat and AC units first before you change to the 2 minute delay. I checked with Coleman and their tech said the RVComfor.HP thermostat in ours has a built in delay for compressor protection. Whatever thermostat and AC you have might have the delay already. Because of that, I left my HW50C set for the standard 15 second delay.
Well that's a good thought. I'll check.

thx
Old 11-12-2016, 07:18 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
MY AC units have a delay also. Easy way to check is to just turn one on and see how long it takes for them to start.

Even with the short delay I don't see a problem since the EMS will not let power pass if it doesn't meet the voltage, hertz test criteria.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:21 PM   #8

Check your A/C's start delay by shutting off all 110V power, turn the thermostat to turn on the A/C's. After 5 minutes or so, turn on the 110V power. On my units, they will start immediately with no delay. Don't know if I have a problem with the A/C's or t-stat but that is the way mine works.

I too set my PI to the long delay time.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:10 PM   #9

Turn them off and back on again from the thermostat. That will tell you for sure if there is a delay. Most are equipped that way I believe.
dogsgocampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:36 AM   #10

Made a mistake in my post.

Instead of waiting 5 minutes as I posted, wait about 5 seconds after shutting off the 110v power and then power back up. If I just shut down the t-stat I get the typical 2 minute delay. But if my power is interrupted briefly, and the thermostat is still calling for action, I don't get the delay. Again, at least on my units that is what happens.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 05:16 AM   #11

I set mine to the 2 minute delay because of the delay in the thermostat does not work if you lose power. If you just turn it off and back on it delays. But if you lose power for a few seconds it resets to no delay. So I use the delay on the surge protector to take care of that. I figure I can stand the air off for 2 more minutes. So it's 4 minutes not 2. That won't kill me.

Tags
ems