Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Yep, says that right in the manual. switch the monitor off and it cuts off the protetion circuit.
Except for the surge protection which operates in the on or of position.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #30

Freightliner Owners Club
thanks for all the replies- one more question.
will the PI EMSLCHW50 eliminate my need for the surge protectors in the coach for the TV's and laptops?

thanks!

Steve
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
It's my understanding that when the switch on the remote is turned to OFF then unit just passes power through and there is no protection.
I believe we are talking about two different things. On Progressives web site it talks about the remote display and a remote panel the same as in the manual. I have sent an email to Progressive, should have an answer tomorrow.
EMS-RDS
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HW50C.pdf (388.6 KB, 41 views)
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRDNR View Post
thanks for all the replies- one more question.
will the PI EMSLCHW50 eliminate my need for the surge protectors in the coach for the TV's and laptops?

thanks!

Steve
I would say YES, but a call to Progressive Industries would give you a more technical answer.

I do know that you are NOT suppose to daisy-chain the strip surge protectors.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #33

Preferred location of the remote display probably varies--I like to see "what is what" when I first plug-in to the pedistal, so I have it mounted inside the utilities bay. If the power kicks off sometime after the initial plug-in, its usually low voltage in the park. My "el-cheapo" wall plug 120v meter from CW usually lets me know early on if low voltage is going to be a problem. Guess you can solve the issue of location with two remotes but Progressive Ind is pretty proud [$$$$] of this option.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #34

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I do know that you are NOT suppose to daisy-chain the strip surge protectors.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Why is that?
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #35

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
...I do know that you are NOT suppose to daisy-chain the strip surge protectors.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Seriously, I would like to know why. Is it because it affects the surge protection or is it just an overload danger for the first strip in the chain from too many outlets being added?
Old 11-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post

Seriously, I would like to know why. Is it because it affects the surge protection or is it just an overload danger for the first strip in the chain from too many outlets being added?
Can I daisy chain surge protectors?

No. Surge protectors must be plugged directly into a grounded outlet to work properly. (Underwriters Laboratories prohibits daisy chaining) Never plug a surge protector into a plug strip or plug adapter.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #37

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Can I daisy chain surge protectors?

No. Surge protectors must be plugged directly into a grounded outlet to work properly. (Underwriters Laboratories prohibits daisy chaining) Never plug a surge protector into a plug strip or plug adapter.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thanks for the response. That gave me enough info to find this :http://www.compliance.gov/forms-pubs...aisychains.pdf and other similar references. I've seen this issue come up before and the consensus was circuit overloading was the issue with daisy chaining, not inhibited surge protection, but I wanted to verify it. As long as there is a ground connection, the wiring is heavy enough, and the load doesn't exceed the circuit capacity, daisy chaining will not be dangerous and will not inhibit surge protection. However, it will be illegal.

In the case of the Progressive Industries surge protector, that is wired in ahead of the RVs main panel so the daisy chaining prohibition wouldn't apply here as long as multiple strips are not being daisy chained.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
I think if you took a survey looking for how often generators were to fail with errant power and actually damaged devices inside the RV, you would find that it was very minimal versus encountering RV Parks and campgrounds with errant power problems.
I don't think there is any question that campground power issues are much more common. After all, that's the prime purpose for this protection product and the main reason most of us installed one.

But you make it sound like it's an either/or proposition. It isn't. The question is whether you want protection ONLY from campground issues, or if you want protection from campground AND generator issues. Why not go for both? The common reason given is to protect the transfer switch, but transfer switches are relatively inexpensive, and are not easily damaged by the sort of wiring/power issues that the EMS protects.

Another reason for putting it AFTER the transfer switch: so you can use the display to monitor the power draw from the generator. (I like to know what's going on.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccsix View Post
I don't feel the remote can do any more for me than my inexpensive plug-in volt meter plugged into a dining room socket.
When your plug-in volt meter reads zero, it won't tell you anything that you don't already know - there's no power. But an inside EMS display can tell you WHY you don't have power, and whether you can do anything about it. For example, in the middle of the night, the power went out. I looked at the inside display, and saw that the EMS cut the power because the voltage was out of range. That told me there isn't anything I can do about it right now (like resetting breakers) so I went back to bed, comfortable in the knowledge I was being protected. But if I didn't have the display, I would've had to get dressed and gone out in the rain before I realized there was nothing I could do at the time. This has actually happened to me a few times, for both high and low voltage.

Besides voltage and status, the current draw readout on the display is very helpful at times.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
I wish I had more information on the EMS of my coach. The panel displays the service and I have a page that displays the L1, L2, Neutral and Ground conditions but I don't know if the system is built to not connect the service to the coach if it does not qualify.

Does the Progressive disconnect if a problem occurs or prevent connection if a problem is detected? Maybe both?
Old 11-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I wish I had more information on the EMS of my coach. The panel displays the service and I have a page that displays the L1, L2, Neutral and Ground conditions but I don't know if the system is built to not connect the service to the coach if it does not qualify. Does the Progressive disconnect if a problem occurs or prevent connection if a problem is detected? Maybe both?
Winnebago should be able to tell you what the specs of your EMS are. The Progressive checks the condition of the incoming power before allowing power into the coach. Once power is established then it monitors the power for faults and will disconnect if a fault is detected. It will continue to monitor the power and if the fault is corrected it will then allow power in again. Seamless in operation.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:55 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Winnebago should be able to tell you what the specs of your EMS are. The Progressive checks the condition of the incoming power before allowing power into the coach. Once power is established then it monitors the power for faults and will disconnect if a fault is detected. It will continue to monitor the power and if the fault is corrected it will then allow power in again. Seamless in operation.
Of course! I should have thought of that. They are usually great about answering questions like this. I might call later today if I get a chance. I'll post what I find out.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 11-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #42

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
I believe we are talking about two different things. On Progressives web site it talks about the remote display and a remote panel the same as in the manual. I have sent an email to Progressive, should have an answer tomorrow.
EMS-RDS
I finally got an answer from Progressive about my question if the remote display and the remote panel are the same thing. Yes they are, the manual and the web site have a type-o where it says remote panel. And yes as posted by others when remote display is switched off all safety features of the EMS are bypassed, except for the surge protection.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote