Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2021, 06:33 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Progressive insurance uninsured coverage

NM state Supreme Court now requires insurance companies to fully disclose uninsured coverage.
our policy now states 100,000 for property loss. even tho liability is 250/500 per accident, if an uninsured/ under insured motorist hits me, the maximum I will receive in the event of a loss is 100k. Even tho my coach is worth 250k. when I pressed progressive they stated this is the
maximum that can be purchased. doesn't make any sense if someone hits me, my rig isn't covered for the whole value. Curious to know what others are doing.
thanks
Craig
craighouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2021, 06:56 PM   #2

Wouldn't your collision coverage pay the loss? Property damage covers your damage to another.s property.
Under/uninsured liability covers your injuries when you are injured by an underinsured or uninsured motorist.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:52 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Progressive insurance uninsured coverage

You can also get covered for a specified dollar amount. When I purchased my RV I specified the amount it was purchased for. If totaled, I will get that amount, rather than the current value of the RV.

In the coverage, it is the “physical damage option” I have “Total Loss Replacement/Purchase Price” specified.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:25 PM   #4
I10

You do not have a grasp of what each coverage is for. I would recommend you call your agent for a better understanding of the coverages.
I10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:03 AM   #5

My agent stated that uninsured motorist coverage is for medical coverage. She also had me cancel that on my policies once I became eligible for medicare as medicare covers it as primary .
Old 12-02-2021, 06:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by craighouston View Post
NM state Supreme Court now requires insurance companies to fully disclose uninsured coverage.
our policy now states 100,000 for property loss. even tho liability is 250/500 per accident, if an uninsured/ under insured motorist hits me, the maximum I will receive in the event of a loss is 100k. Even tho my coach is worth 250k. when I pressed progressive they stated this is the
maximum that can be purchased. doesn't make any sense if someone hits me, my rig isn't covered for the whole value. Curious to know what others are doing.
thanks
Craig
Liability and property loss coverage are two different things. Someone has managed to confuse you. Sorry.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:05 AM   #7

We previously owned an Insurance Agency and Progressive was one of our carriers, we also use Progressive for our motorhome coverage. Your statement is correct: you currently have 250/500 for uninsured motorist liability, what this translates into is 250,000 per person and up to 500,000 for all occupants of your motorhome for medical and personal loss expenses if an uninsured motorist is at fault in an accident with your coach. You are also right that you currently have 100000 in direct uninsured motorist property damage for all damage due to an uninsured motorist that is at fault in an accident with your coach.

If your state insurance commissioner has mandated that a carrier cannot sell uninsured motorist coverage greater than your 250/500/100 then that is the law and would be applicable to all carrier's operating within your state.

I would recommend contacting Progressive directly and what I would expect, as their response, is that if an uninsured motorist totaled your motorhome the 1st 100000 would be paid out under uninsured motorist property damage coverage and the remaining would be paid out under your normal property damage coverage we typically associate with our own at fault accidents or acts of God outside of your direct involvement, such as tornadoes, fire, etc. You should not be at any exposure but I would want to get that answer directly from Progressive.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:54 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rffowler55 View Post
We previously owned an Insurance Agency and Progressive was one of our carriers, we also use Progressive for our motorhome coverage. Your statement is correct: you currently have 250/500 for uninsured motorist liability, what this translates into is 250,000 per person and up to 500,000 for all occupants of your motorhome for medical and personal loss expenses if an uninsured motorist is at fault in an accident with your coach. You are also right that you currently have 100000 in direct uninsured motorist property damage for all damage due to an uninsured motorist that is at fault in an accident with your coach.

If your state insurance commissioner has mandated that a carrier cannot sell uninsured motorist coverage greater than your 250/500/100 then that is the law and would be applicable to all carrier's operating within your state.

I would recommend contacting Progressive directly and what I would expect, as their response, is that if an uninsured motorist totaled your motorhome the 1st 100000 would be paid out under uninsured motorist property damage coverage and the remaining would be paid out under your normal property damage coverage we typically associate with our own at fault accidents or acts of God outside of your direct involvement, such as tornadoes, fire, etc. You should not be at any exposure but I would want to get that answer directly from Progressive.
This is a really informative post and I thank you for taking the time to explain it. I am going to take the time to call my insurance agent and make sure I fully understand what the coverages are. For me, this can be confusing so the recommendation to get it directly from the insurance company is a very good suggestion. Thanks again for this post.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:08 AM   #9

I would suggest you try and get the information in writing as it is very,very hard to document a verbal conversation. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
I would suggest you try and get the information in writing as it is very,very hard to document a verbal conversation. Good luck.
Not if you record it, and that’s what I would do if I was really concerned with my coverage.
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, insurance