Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #197

I just changed my policy with progressive to cover the entire purchase price rather than diminishing value. Now if it gets totaled I get back what I paid.
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2014, 09:24 PM   #198
TWT

We had Progressive, for a while. I found out who owned at least a large part of them and who they donated political funding to. I now use Blue Sky RV Insurance, and will never go back to Progressive. I can't see giving a profit to any company owned by someone who's trying to drive our country into the ground. I managed to say that without naming anyone or any party, so I hope it meets posting standards.
TWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:40 PM   #199

Progressive Insurance - Beware

The big variance in policy costs amazes me. For our 1998 Overland 4141, we are paying a little under $480 per year. With the claim I just filed and was paid for, it may go up, we'll see.

Grzly 03, Dick Nester
Grzly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:56 PM   #200

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog1949 View Post
We had Progressive, for a while. I found out who owned at least a large part of them and who they donated political funding to. I now use Blue Sky RV Insurance, and will never go back to Progressive. I can't see giving a profit to any company owned by someone who's trying to drive our country into the ground. I managed to say that without naming anyone or any party, so I hope it meets posting standards.
Agree. Thanks for the info, and info about owners in the thread, which I believe is important to the topic, as opposed to other threads where those comments may not pertain to topic. In this instance it's a variable on deciding. Just cancelled mine with them too based on the info in the thread. Didn't even wait until end of policy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ChazA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:26 AM   #201

We've used GEICO for years and no one can beat their rates. Customer service is outstanding.

We did try to see what Progressive had to offer (got sick and tired of FLO commercials) and for the exact same policy (two cars, coach, boat), the price was nearly double.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:32 AM   #202
Community Moderator

i used to have both rv and toad coverages in progressive. a few weeks ago i got a notice to renew the toad's but the rate was about doubled. i called in and didn't get a reasonable explanation. so i dropped it and switched to hartford whose rate is even lower than progressive's old rate. my rv is still with progressive i might change as well when it's approaching renewal.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:41 PM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
We've used GEICO for years and no one can beat their rates. Customer service is outstanding.

We did try to see what Progressive had to offer (got sick and tired of FLO commercials) and for the exact same policy (two cars, coach, boat), the price was nearly double.

I've now had Progressive for 3 years and decided to check out GEICO since they had an ad in the FMCA magazine but their quote ended up just the opposite of your, GEICO was almost double that of Progressive for just the motor home. As was stated above, it's amazing how much rates will vary.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:00 AM   #204

AZ,
Sorry to hear you are yet another consumer being whipped by the big boys. I personally was never a fan of Progressive as they offer one price then if you have any debt (similar to our government) you get a higher rate. I have debt because I take risk to make more money but Progressive was the first to really target that an I called them on it and never gave them a dime afterward. I have to add Allied / Nationwide to the list of deadbeat insurance companies. CAN ANYONE ADVISE A REAL INSURANCE COMPANY... I am looking.
JEFFOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #205

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had a accident in San Antonio, TX in Nov. Lady opened her car door and caught the last 2 inches of my RV tearing a 1' x 3' piece of fiberglass off my rear panel. Progressive called and followed up every step. They even covered 1/2 of my deductible. Can't find cheaper insurance... Me change? NO.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:32 PM   #206
HMS

Same company Same tune. They will be replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Gypsy View Post
Fellow RV Enthusiasts,

I know that many of you have posted asking about advice or feedback on insurance carriers for your RV. My wife and I currently have a class 'A' Pace Arrow and are insured with Progressive due to their competitive rates.

Recently, our coach was broken in to and my tool kit was stolen from the bay below the coach. Also, the full body paint on the side of the coach was vandalized by keying for about 20' on the passenger side. Being that I take meticulous care of the RV as many people do, this was absolutely gutting to see. I immediately filed a police report and an insurance claim for the damages and loss.

Since that time, I have been subjected to a most unprofessional and unreasonable experience care of Progressive. They required me to take the RV to a local dealer for evaluation, following which they determined they didn't like the review the dealer had done and sent out their "forensics examiner" who proceeded to damage the coach further because he took apart pieces of equipment that he had no working knowledge of and then couldn't figure out how to reassemble them again. Adding insult to injury, Progressive then said they would not pay for the items that their examiner had broken because the examiner stated they were already broken when he got there...except they weren't. They also sent their claims investigator to watch the examiner while he was doing his work on my coach, except he was too busy chatting on the phone in a vehicle 70' from where the work was being performed to care. Later, he stated to his superiors that the work was done fine and proceeded to deny coverage on the items his examiner damaged that weren't even a part of the original claim. Currently, they haven't paid me a penny for the $2000 worth of stolen tools or $500 in repairs that the keying caused -- let alone the damage they caused.

Relative to the timeframe and investigative work, all I can say is that we are two and half months in to this claim and it has a total of $2500 in value excluding the damage that was done by their examiner. I called my State Farm insurance agent who insures my home and in 10 minutes of evaluating the facts and photos, said he would issue a check the same afternoon if I wanted to file it as a home owner's claim. That told me all I needed to know about Progressive. It took me over a month simply to get them to look at surveillance video from the facility where the coach was broken into. They had denied the claim before they had even done any investigation work whatsoever.

It saddens me that there are insurers in business who unreasonably deny claims even when coverage is confirmed and your loss falls squarely within that coverage zone. Needless to say, I am filing a lawsuit against them and expect to win given that I have written statements supporting my claims from several RV mechanical experts, video footage, and an email trail with their own claims adjuster showing that it took forever just to get a simple response or investigation moving forward.

Their service was great until I filed a claim. Needless to say, I will be migrating my RV insurance to State Farm or other carrier whom I trust. Insurance companies don't sell insurance, they sell peace of mind. Once that's gone, you don't have a product worth anything...

Good luck out there -- I hope nobody else has this experience. It's been painful and sad.
HMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:56 PM   #207

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
We have USAA for everything. At purchase of the MH they advised "we do not insure MH's but Progressive has a program for our people". Even a special phone number which is answered "USAA Progressive. As long as Progressive is competitive we will rely on USAA's big stick should a problem occur....
X2.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:02 PM   #208

I had a truck hit the back of my former motorhome. My progressive insurance took care of everything and followed up upon completion. I had a great experience with them.
Steve
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:27 PM   #209

Monaco Owners Club
Another vote for AARP and the Hartford ins. I have all my ins thru them and save a bundle. Just the last two months have had two claims one on the MH and one on a rental duplex. They were professional and promt and the adjusters were right on with the repair bids. Plus its nice having all but medical ins thru one company one place to blame or take credit, no if and or buts just do what the policy says. Now as to my rates going up only time will tell but if all of us old farts are together it carries a lot of weight.

LEN
Old 04-20-2014, 07:59 AM   #210

We've had Progressive for almost 5yrs. now. We've never had a claim except for towing, which by the way is only $21 a year as a rider. In the last 5yrs. we've needed a tow 3 times. Once while at Destruction Bay, Yukon Territory. They never batted an eye. Sent a tow truck, actually a flat bed, and we told them where we wanted to go. While at Destruction Bay we were towed to Whitehorse which was 180 miles. I don't want to know what that cost, but it was a pretty penny. And again no problem from Progressive. We just renewed and thought for sure our rate would go up, but it went down $6. I 'll stay with Flo.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance