Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2019, 05:40 AM   #1

Propane again

I know the topic of propane restrictions has been recently discussed in the media, but of course I did not save it.

I am heading to Virginia Beach, Va. from Pa in the next 2 weeks and was wondering if the bridge just below Hampton, Va. ( just passed Hampton Roads has a propane restriction as some bridges closer to DC, Maryland and Virginia have ? This is Route 64

Appreciate any feedback !

2018 Thor Windsport 31Z
Sitinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2019, 05:46 AM   #2

Bridge? No - Why would a bridge have a restriction? Never seen that.
Tunnels? Yes - you have to turn your propane off.
I must of missed that media discussion but there are plenty of threads here on this site about propane.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:03 PM   #3

I lived in the Hampton Roads area for years - met my wife there after I got out of the Navy.

I passed through the bridge-tunnels on 64 all the time with our old travel trailers all the time. No one ever bothered to check our rig to make sure the gas was off. Those bridge-tunnels have no toll, so no reason to stop.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:30 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Propane check before entering Tunnels.
dbleddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:37 PM   #5

I went through the HRBT and CBBT this weekend. I stopped once at an inspection point and the inspector said if you’re in an RV you don’t have to stop if your propane is already off. You only need to stop to turn it off before the tunnels. So if you make sure it’s off before you head out you’re all set.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitinin View Post
I realize that recently the propane topic was discussed, however I failed to save it and am heading from Pa. to Virginia Beach in next 2 weeks with my new Thor Windsport 32' gasser and will be heading down Rte 64 from Richmond,Va through Hampton Roads ( Hampton ) and down towards 264. There is a bridge just below Hampton and I'm wondering if there's any restrictions there. Sorry I don't have the name of it. I don't want to get re-routed !
James River Bridge. No restrictions. US Hwy 17 to Isle of Wight County (Smithfield). Never had an issue when we lived there, and many of our favorite campgrounds were out that way in Suffolk.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:48 PM   #7

The only propane restrictions I am familiar with in this area is the Baltimore Tunnels on I-95. There is no propane allowed in these tunnels. If you try to drive a RV through them they will catch you at the toll booths. The fine is $1000 I believe.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:55 PM   #8

Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I 95)

From their web page.

Propane, Hazardous Materials and Oversized Vehicle Information:

Vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using both the Fort McHenry and Baltimore Harbor Tunnels. In addition, vehicles in excess of 13 feet, 6 inches, in height, or 96 inches (8 feet) in width; and all double trailers are prohibited from using the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel. For additional information regarding these restrictions, please call 410-537-1374.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:01 PM   #9

You must stop before the tunnels for a person to come check your propane tank to make sure it’s off. The billboard on the freeway will tell you all campers to stop for inspection. If you blow by the inspection the person working the booth will call ahead and when you pop out the other side of the tunnel a police car will pull you over and issue you a $86 ticket. Don’t ask me how I know this.
deeojoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane