Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2020, 10:04 AM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Propane delivery.

Hello all - It has a been awhile. Is anyone aware of a propane DELIVERY service in the Springfield MO area... especially to the west a few miles. I've called a number of companies but no luck so far. (It's starting to get chilly!!) We're headed for TX in 4 weeks and don't want to freeze before that time. Thanks in advance! Dave C
dbdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2020, 10:10 AM   #2

Instead of delivery why don't you drive MH to a propane vendor and get Tank FILLED?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdreamers View Post
Hello all - It has a been awhile. Is anyone aware of a propane DELIVERY service in the Springfield MO area... especially to the west a few miles. I've called a number of companies but no luck so far. (It's starting to get chilly!!) We're headed for TX in 4 weeks and don't want to freeze before that time. Thanks in advance! Dave C

Talk to park management where you are staying at / nearest to you. An LP Truck can fill a motorhome without issue. If you are using cylinders, they have to be weighed and trucks don't usually have scales.

Warning, if truck makes a special run out to you, there will be a significant service charge. Talking with park manager and timing your fill at same time will usually waive the fee.

When I was in West Plains, I had a standing order for the truck to top off my 100# cylinder (doesn't need to be weighed) using my POL to ACME adapter. Same driver would also fill my 40#s, but that was highly irregular. I did stay on their good side by having hot chocolate, hamburgers, tamales, etc ready for them when they came around on their usual time/schedule.

During the ice storm of 2007 (?), I was out of town (also in Texas). I called driver to make sure that my tanks were being serviced. Was told that they should have been, and during rest of conversation found out that he was without power and had been for a few days. I offered him the use of my trailer and told him that genset (also LP) was good for another 200 hours before it needed an oil change.

I didn't pay for propane again until I pulled my trailer back to Texas in 2010.
Krbjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:33 AM   #4

[QUOTE=Krbjmpr;5497593. If you are using cylinders, they have to be weighed and trucks don't usually have scales.

.[/QUOTE]

They don't hardly weight them anymore.

They have bleed screws at 80% and OPD valves to stop the propane from overfilling.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:08 PM   #5

Flying J or Loves Truck Stops have propane. The tank at Loves seem to have easier access.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
They don't hardly weight them anymore.

They have bleed screws at 80% and OPD valves to stop the propane from overfilling.

In Texas, cylinders are filled by weight. Cardinal requirement by the Railroad Commission, the licensing body here.

I didn't even think that other states would have different requirements.

The only exception being if you had your own bulk tank with a wet leg. Then you can fill your own. But since the owner does not have a manager's or site license for refilling, those cylinders cannot be transported off-site. Home fill of LP powered vehicles is technically a no-no, but since the fill procedure is same as dispenser and road taxes are prepaid, it isn't often enforced.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:52 AM   #7

Texas fill by weight requirements

§9.136 Filling of DOT Containers (page 92)
http://www.rrc.state.tx.us/media/555...afetyrules.pdf
Old 10-28-2020, 07:17 AM   #8

Not sure how far west of Springfield you are. I live in Aurora and use Aurora Propane. They are located behind the Walmart at US60 & MO39. They have always been very friendly and helpful. Their filling station is very easy to access with any type of RV.
miller806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krbjmpr View Post
Texas fill by weight requirements

§9.136 Filling of DOT Containers (page 92)
http://www.rrc.state.tx.us/media/555...afetyrules.pdf
There are speed limits on roads too, doesn't mean they are followed by all.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:46 PM   #10

Quote:

Actually, 99% of non-vel drivers actually do the limit....

...its those of us that see the words "at least" on top of the number that cause problems.

Back to subject,
The OP should have no problems getting a LP truck out to fill an ASME tank (motorhomes, l.p. vehicles) and would be better off to coincide delivery with someone else.

In Texas, DOT cylinders are filled by weight, and scales are not usually carried on trucks. I seriously doubt driver will make ledger entries for 5 / 7 / 10 gallon fills and implicate himself with a 5 year paper trail.

But could be wrong. Was at Costco last month and they are using a small-ish digital scale instead of the ancient balance beam.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:47 PM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I was hoping to not have to unplug everything and go to a service. Still looking for someone in the Monet/Aurora area that will come to me.
dbdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:58 PM   #12

Quote:

If the RR Commission catches a Texas LP company filling bottles w/o using the certified scales, the licenses will be pulled. The RR auditors were known to stop in unexpectedly. Customer complaints to the RR were also followed up on.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
If the RR Commission catches a Texas LP company filling bottles w/o using the certified scales, the licenses will be pulled. The RR auditors were known to stop in unexpectedly. Customer complaints to the RR were also followed up on.
How do you scale a tank that is permanently mounted to an RV? I drove for Amerigas (please don't hold that against me) and they had a policy against filling RV's but that didn't always stop us from helping out the customer anyway.

Scaling a 25 or 100lb cyl is one thing but a permanent tank is something else.
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuelman View Post
How do you scale a tank that is permanently mounted to an RV? I drove for Amerigas (please don't hold that against me) and they had a policy against filling RV's but that didn't always stop us from helping out the customer anyway.

Scaling a 25 or 100lb cyl is one thing but a permanent tank is something else.

You only scale portable tanks up to 100 lb, permanent mounted tanks (like RV) are filled by the 80% bleed valve.
When I drove for a local Texas propane Co., I had a couple of RV parks that I was scheduled to cruise weekly. They were a PITA, since the RV people would come out and want their MH tanks topped off and the sale would only be 5 gallons! All that to stop, drag out the hose, hook up the hose while on your knees, pump 5 gal, put the hose away, fill out a bill for $10, and then make change for a $20, 15 min later move to the next MH!!!!!!
Yes, the local propane Co. absolutely hated Amerigas. They were the bullys of the gas crowd and made it difficult legally and competition wise for local companies. Amerigas even hired lawyers to try to force us to sell them the company, we fought back and won!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane