Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2018, 08:01 PM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have a liquid propane generator in our motor home. The only problem I've had was the oil in the carb. Took it off, cleaned it, and it's been running great.

We don't use it much, for we are plugged in to shore power 95% of the time. Sounds like you aren't going to be using the generator all that much. I wouldn't let the fuel type deter me from the purchase.

Our generator is fairly quiet. The gasoline one in our previous 1992 Fleetwood Flair was very noisy.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2018, 05:59 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We used to have a '95 Monaco Dynasty with a 6.5kw Onan generator. It was a vapor fuel unit and worked well, with one caveat. The propane regulator was heated radiantly from the muffler, so the generator needed to be run for sufficient lengths of time to warm the regulator enough to prevent it from plugging up.

I believe the Kohler propane generators of that era were liquid propane, and were often very problematic with regulator and carburetor gumming up and plugging up issues. Some owners switched those Kohler propane generators out for diesel replacements.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:18 PM   #17

I noticed at high altitude that the propane genny I used to own did not run too well. Needed adjustment the higher you went.
diesel odor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:19 PM   #18

Propane generator

Over the years we have had gas, diesel and propane generators. Diesel was by far the most reliable and no worries about finding fuel. If you're looking at a nice coach and won't be using the generator much, I'd say go for it!

What's the definition of 'automatic'? Means you can't fix it yourself.
lrquil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:40 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the replies, but I still never really got an answer about how much propane they use, like per hour. I know there are variables, but an estimate running 1 A/C is what I'm looking for.
DjDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:54 AM   #20

I have a 94 Safari with a propane generator and it works great. It's very quiet and from what i've seen uses very little fuel. I also like how clean propane burns, if you've ever torn apart a NG or propane engine they are clean inside!
waspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:52 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjDave View Post
Thanks for the replies, but I still never really got an answer about how much propane they use, like per hour. I know there are variables, but an estimate running 1 A/C is what I'm looking for.
They are going to burn a bit more then a gas generator because there is less energy in propane. Figure .5 to .7 gallons an hour at medium load.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:55 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
They are going to burn a bit more then a gas generator because there is less energy in propane. Figure .5 to .7 gallons an hour at medium load.
That's about right. I remember reading in the Onan manual, the gas 5500 used 0.6 gph and the propane version uses 0.8 gph. As a heavy generator user, I would never consider propane because of the inconvenience of acquiring fuel. It's much easier to run up to the nearest quick stop for 5 gal of gas or diesel. Try running a propane generator for 96 hours straight.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:12 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
You said you only plan to use the generator for A/C when traveling in hot weather. That and boondocking are why you DON'T want a propane generator!
Our first RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:31 PM   #24

Manufacturers install propane generators (mostly in diesel motorhomes) to keep the cost and the sales price down to make them more competitive. There's a significant price difference (diesel is about double propane) between a propane generator and a diesel generator. You seldom see propane generators in gas motorhomes because there is no cost savings over the price of a gas generator.

Propane generators have their place but in my opinion it's not in a motorhome.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:34 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
You see a lot of propane generators used in 5th wheels because they don't have fuel cells, gas or diesel. In this case, they are the only option.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
You see a lot of propane generators used in 5th wheels because they don't have fuel cells, gas or diesel. In this case, they are the only option.
Yeah, I think there are all kinds of rules and regulations regarding gasoline tanks in towed (TT or 5th) RVs. I can see where a propane generator would avoid all those issues.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:02 PM   #27

Many toy hauler trailers have gas tanks for the toys. I believe they are in the rear.

The problem may be the added weight of a gas tank and generator up near the propane tanks.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:26 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Many toy hauler trailers have gas tanks for the toys. I believe they are in the rear.

The problem may be the added weight of a gas tank and generator up near the propane tanks.
Yes. My 1st RV was a 5th wheel toy hauler. It had a 30 gallon fuel cell with a transfer pump for the toys. It also supplied the generator. A 2nd fuel tank dedicated to the generator was optional.

Tags
generator, propane