Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2016, 12:15 PM   #1

Propane Grill-Regulator-Using RV Propane Question

Good Afternoon ; we have a Berkshire 34QS which has a quick connect with shut off on the passenger side of the coach. We looked at the Coleman Road Trip LXE among others. In doing some homework, grills have a regulator already on them - well so does the coach propane ;so I am under the belief that simply running a propane from the quick connect to the grill is no -go because of two(2) regulators being in the mix. Is there a grill or other connection types, that I wont have to "MacGyver" in order to take advantage of the propane system I already have in place ?? Please share links if you are able. Thank you all. I have read some other posts but didnt see this particular issue addressed.

Dave Z
NJ
JerseyBerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2016, 12:21 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBerk View Post
Good Afternoon ; we have a Berkshire 34QS which has a quick connect with shut off on the passenger side of the coach. We looked at the Coleman Road Trip LXE among others. In doing some homework, grills have a regulator already on them - well so does the coach propane ;so I am under the belief that simply running a propane from the quick connect to the grill is no -go because of two(2) regulators being in the mix. Is there a grill or other connection types, that I wont have to "MacGyver" in order to take advantage of the propane system I already have in place ?? Please share links if you are able. Thank you all. I have read some other posts but didnt see this particular issue addressed.

Dave Z
NJ
Dave,

Yes you can do that. I did exactly the same thing. But you can't run double regulator. I tried and it doesn't work.

I took the regulator off the BBQ and plumbed it so the hose can be connected directly onto the BBQ. Both quick connects at the coach and BBQ.

You can email me direct and I can send pictures.

bhoward27@aol.com

gook luck
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:25 PM   #3

Propane barbque

If I am not mistaken the propane pressure on RVS is 1/2 pound. A standard barbeque would not get enough pressure to operate normally. The regulator on your rv should be the only regulator in-line going to the burners on your barbque.

This is strictly the experience I have had in the past. There are many barbquesdesign just for rvs. I am sure an expert out there will provide you with he technical side.
Thomas J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:58 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Not all grills have regulators in them - only the type designed to be used with the little 1 ln portable bottles. Unfortunately, that's most of the tabletop and easily portable models. Bigger grills that use the larger 20 lb tanks rely on an external regulator on the tank and are compatible with RV LP systems, which regulate to the industry standard 11 WC" pressure (about 0.5 psi).

So, you can put a Tee in the RV LP system before the onboard regulator and use that to feed high pressure LP to a portable grill, or you shop around for a grill that uses an external tank & regulator and runs off low pressure.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:38 PM   #5

Quote:

Dave Z
NJ
I have Berkshire 38A and here is what I did..look at this video

works pretty good..
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:59 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
We have a Coleman Classic (Blue) Road Trip (you can cook with the cover down successfully with this one).

I installed a Tee between the tank and the coach regulator. A hose from that Tee runs my Coleman fine using the Coleman regulator.

Also operates my propane fire pit nicely.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:48 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On the RV there is high side (before the regular) and low side (after the regulator). As others have commented two regulators is a no-go. So tap into the high side or the low side, and either have a regulator in the BBQ or not, as appropriate for the connection point.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:17 PM   #8

I like that Convert-a-c. Wished I'd seen that a while back. Got an extend-a-stay and hoses instead. RE the Coleman Road Trip, I like that it folds nicely and cooks well, bought the extra griddle and coffee pot grate. I found that the chrome on the grease pan is thin, it will go down to the copper plating petty easily when trying to get burned on grease off. To really get it clean you need a screwdriver to disassemble it. If you grill steaks or try to do a pork shoulder, cover the inside with aluminum foil if possible.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:36 PM   #9

Thanks to all for your time to give a response. All were very helpful. Be new to RV ownership as opposed to renting one, gear purchase has taken on entirely new perspective. :-)
JerseyBerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks to all for your time to give a response. All were very helpful. Be new to RV ownership as opposed to renting one, gear purchase has taken on entirely new perspective. :-)
Look at the Weber Q1000 it is very nice too and they make a connect for it as well..

seems like you can never have enough stuff..
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:22 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsekr View Post
I like that Convert-a-c. Wished I'd seen that a while back. Got an extend-a-stay and hoses instead. RE the Coleman Road Trip, I like that it folds nicely and cooks well, bought the extra griddle and coffee pot grate. I found that the chrome on the grease pan is thin, it will go down to the copper plating petty easily when trying to get burned on grease off. To really get it clean you need a screwdriver to disassemble it. If you grill steaks or try to do a pork shoulder, cover the inside with aluminum foil if possible.

Your points on the grease pan are accurate. We have found that using the recommended water in the pan while cooking is helpful for the cleanup. Ours is going on 12 years of use.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:23 PM   #12

Water in the pan is a good suggestion, but the way the newer Coleman's are built prevents you from doing that. They have a removable grease cup at the bottom rear which would allow the water too run out.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:03 AM   #13

jon my '97 i have an extra vapor valve and many do.. and that is what that is for, hooking up a extra hose.. i put a 40' on mine...and on new alfa it has a propane pine run to passenger side and is before regulater...

Tags
propane