Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2018, 05:39 PM   #1

Propane issue

Considering purchasing a 1995 Firan Raven 33’ diesel. Problem is that the propane seems to be not reaching the appliances or is being cut off somewhere. The seller advised me that an RV mechanic told him it is related to the sensor (possibly CO) I tested and found no leaks anywhere that I can find. Is anyone familiar with this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete
Zman1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2018, 05:46 PM   #2

There is likely a cut off solenoid in the gas line just after the regulator at the tank that is wired to the CO/Propane detector (near the floor in the galley). If the detector is turned off or not working correctly the gas wont flow.

Gary
Old 05-14-2018, 05:51 PM   #3

There is a high flow shutoff as well as the regular manual shutoff and possibly a shutoff connected to the propane detector. I never saw the last one but it would need a solenoid valve wired to the sensor.

More likely he opened the tank valve too fast and tripped the high flow shutoff. Close the manual valve and then slowly open it and see if you get gas. While you are messing around with the tank valve look for 2 wires to the gauge that feed your remote sensor panel. If there is another device with another set of wires he might be correct.

He left out a bad regulator. That could also happen.

If you want to dig deeper there are many videos about how to make and use a simple manometer. That will let you measure the gas pressure. Off hand I don't remember the pressures but both sides are relatively low and the numbers are on the internet if you look.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:55 PM   #4

Welcome to iRV2.

There are a few possibilities . The propane gas leak detector , may be wired to a shut off solenoid , to shut off flow when a leak is detected; and at the age of the RV it should be replaced ( manufacture date should be on the unit) and the wiring will tell you if it controls a solenoid. If the detector has only two wires it probably doesn't control a solenoid.
The solenoid it's self is next to the tank service valve ; if equipped.
The other possible is the service valve , the valve inside the tank has a ruptured line ( full flow ) shut off . This valve can be triggered by opening the supply valve too quickly , when the system has air in the lines .
To reset the full flow , turn the supply valve off , then open it painfully slowly , to allow propane pressure to build in the lines , back pressure in the system keeps the full flow valve open.

EDIT: My slow typing has allowed others to post similar info , sorry for the duplication.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:59 PM   #5

Here is a picture of my setup, the solenoid valve is at the far right just before the hose makes a 90 deg turn. Mine is a bit older 1988, so your may look a little different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1070.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	202722  
Old 05-14-2018, 06:24 PM   #6

I have been doing some research and found that the CCI LP gas detectors should be changed every 5 years. Since I am not sure if this one was ever changed I guess I should try that. However the company is out of business. Has anyone ever replaced this unit with another manufacturer? Also is there a way to jump it out to see if the propane begins to flow?
Thanks,
Pete
Old 05-14-2018, 06:27 PM   #7

THANKS TO ALL Here is a schematic I found on iRV2 in a previous post.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0128.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	202727
Old 05-14-2018, 07:08 PM   #8

If I disconnect the yellow lead and run a hot wire that should activate the solenoid (providing the solenoid is good) correct?
Old 05-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You are correct power the solenoid with 12 volts to see if it will open. Do not remove the solenoid coil with power applied. If you do, you will let all the smoke out of it.
chuckftboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
You are correct power the solenoid with 12 volts to see if it will open. Do not remove the solenoid coil with power applied. If you do, you will let all the smoke out of it.

Thank You.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman1403 View Post
THANKS TO ALL Here is a schematic I found on iRV2 in a previous post.
Attachment 202727
Z! Look here. I replaced the 18 year old sensor on my CCI.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/lp-co...ml#post3862211
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:59 AM   #12

Thank You Spyder.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #13

To crack the case open (literally) I put the case in a vise to snap off the back enclosure.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Do not remove the solenoid coil with power applied. If you do, you will let all the smoke out of it.
Assuming a DC coil, it shouldn't matter. Different for AC coil though

Tags
propane