Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2018, 07:25 AM   #1

Propane leak

We have a 2016 Fleetwood Bounder & have used propane rarely. Never had problems for the 2 yrs we owned it. Had 1/2 tank, but we were going to camp in 40^ weather, so had propane filled. No problems with propane valve off, no leaks. Turning propane on propane leaks from shutoff valve. The more I open valve, the more it leaks. Shutting off valve stops leak. Never had this problem before filling tank. Has anyone had this problem? Is there a fix, other than emptying tank & replacing valve?
RM travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2018, 08:10 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Any LP gas supplier should be able to recover your gas and repair your valve.
I was having mine filled and the thank fill valve stuck open, we were unable to disconnect the fill without losing all the gas. Called the local propane Company, they came out installed a new valve. No charge..
Old 03-13-2018, 10:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboy1942 View Post
Any LP gas supplier should be able to recover your gas and repair your valve.
I was having mine filled and the thank fill valve stuck open, we were unable to disconnect the fill without losing all the gas. Called the local propane Company, they came out installed a new valve. No charge..

Tks
Old 03-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM travelers View Post
We have a 2016 Fleetwood Bounder & have used propane rarely. Never had problems for the 2 yrs we owned it. Had 1/2 tank, but we were going to camp in 40^ weather, so had propane filled. No problems with propane valve off, no leaks. Turning propane on propane leaks from shutoff valve. The more I open valve, the more it leaks. Shutting off valve stops leak. Never had this problem before filling tank. Has anyone had this problem? Is there a fix, other than emptying tank & replacing valve?

Well this morning when didn’t need propane went out & open valve again. This time no leaks at all, ran stove burners to purge air in lines & burners came right on. Don’t know why propane was leaking fm shutoff valve, but now it had stopped. I will keep leak checking valve.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:52 AM   #5

Always open the propane valve all the way (tight). There are 2 seals in the valve, The stem seal ( rubber) that can leak when the valve is being opened and a metal to metal seal (brass) that only seals when the valve is fully opened. Open fully when using. JT
jtessnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtessnm View Post
Always open the propane valve all the way (tight). There are 2 seals in the valve, The stem seal ( rubber) that can leak when the valve is being opened and a metal to metal seal (brass) that only seals when the valve is fully opened. Open fully when using. JT

Tks - that it what I was going to try this morning. Last night when we decided we might need the propane heater it was already late & dark. So as I was opening valve without gloves it was leaking fast & cold. Never got it all the way open. This morning with gloves, absolutely no leaks, from start opening to fully open. Try several times this morning & no leaks. MH is DW’s so when I couldn’t get heat to work, I was going to be in for it with DW. Luckily for me we have small space electric heaters & electric fireplace heater. Didn’t even need electric heat pump heater (which is a little noisy).

Tags
leak, propane