Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #15
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
A propane generator would be a deal breaker for me. If you expect to very RARELY use it, it would be okay. If you expect to use it on an average to more than average basis, it will be a pain to keep up with the propane use. They're generally louder too.
Ditto to that.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I owned a 2011 Coachman Mirada 34BH and the quality of construction was consistent with what I paid for it. In other words I was happy with the quality for what I paid. I sold it and bought a DP for all the reasons you hear from others. Higher CCC, air ride, improved drivability, towing capacity, higher level of construction, etc.

Our Mirada 34BH had a gas generator as standard equipment. Are you certain that the one you are looking at is propane?

If my budget was only enough to buy a Mirada, I wouldn't hesitate in buying one again.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
I had a propane genset on my first coach. One day it quit working. The mobile tech replaced the genset regulator. It was full of oil naturally found in propane.

As stated earlier, propane does not produce the same power for the same genset running on gas. But the diesel gensets are the best. But I have never heard of a diesel genset in a gasser. Only gas or propane.

If you look at the specs from Onan they show the difference in output for the same genset with propane or gas.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56
... Snip snip ....All the noise complaints baffle me .... All ...have a noise level of between 64 dBa and 71 dBa Normal speech is 60 dBa and inside a car at 50 MPH 80 dBa. And by post some on here can tell a big difference between 64 dBa and 71 dBa to say a LP generator is much louder.

Onan says a 5.5 is 67 dBa at 1/2 load.
Onan diesel generators ... are rated between 66 and 71 db
I'm not a sound guy but as I recall - a 10 db increase is perceived as twice as loud. So noticing a difference between 64 and 71 db wouldn't surprise me. Neither here nor there but - i don't believe db is linear. if the volume knob on your radio were from 1 - 10 db gain you would really know it. Could be wrong.
RVM2
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:13 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
As I recall the original question was something about which was better...

Propane does not deliver the same BTU as gas in the same engine. That relates to horsepower or work. So for two identical gensets running sided by side the gas set will produce more electrical energy than the propane set.

About the noise level? That is all controllable by design. I have seen after market exhaust pipe extenders that rout the sound and exhaust to the roof of the RV thus reducing much of the noise.