Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2020, 04:03 PM   #29

Forest River Owners Club
We’ve been RVing for over 40 yrs and have had every type of rig known to man (except for a 5er)...

In all those years, I’ve ALWAYS run my fridge off propane when driving down the road (unless I’m running the generator and then fridge is on elec)

I totally believe you’ve put way too much credence into the “it must always be level” thing....

To be honest, I believe that would ONLY apply when your rig is stationary and not level for an extended time....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2020, 04:32 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
8 minutes is the time norcold allows for out of level. Grades count. Never walked back to see if the refer was on while driving.
Could you post the source of that information?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:30 AM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
8 minutes is the time norcold allows for out of level. Grades count. Never walked back to see if the refer was on while driving.
Can you show us that in writing. I went to factory school on Norcold and Dometic. Both said the off level damage was in the old refrigerators. The newer refrigerators can go for days without damage from off level.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:01 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Can you show us that in writing. I went to factory school on Norcold and Dometic. Both said the off level damage was in the old refrigerators. The newer refrigerators can go for days without damage from off level.
Never seen the '8 minute' statement

Real Time perk tube temp monitoring shows how quickly temps can rise to temps high enough to cause damage
Overheating can occur within minutes of off level operation and damage from sodium chromate becoming crystalized can occur within 20 minutes of off level operation

The ARPV Defend Monitoring tests shows this.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:52 PM   #33

Propane refers actually work better while in motion. The only argument against running while driving is a very small chance of fire starting from a line leak. I usually check for leaks before a trip.
Marine Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:03 PM   #34

Altitude

Your gas burners are set to run at sea level, as you go up in altitude there is less oxygen so unless you know how to have the changes you will have trouble keeping the flame lighted.

Also if the outside temp is below freezing these refers will freeze up so shut it off until the temp gets above 32f.
Geo19Irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:37 PM   #35

Off level when fridge is off never an issue.
szakaluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:48 PM   #36

I seem to always have different experiences. When it is really hot outside and using propane, my refrigerator doesn't keep cold when traveling up and down mountains. I live in a mountainous area and it can be hours of unlevel travel.

After about 8 years of use, it wasn't keeping things cold using the propane at all so I took the burner shrouds off and found that it was full of carbon. So I cleaned it all out and cleaned the jet and it worked again.

I solved my problem of traveling while using propane for my refrig by putting in an inverter and running it on 120v. Then vehicle alternator runs it.. I installed solar panels so I can run it off the inverter during the day and when disburse camping.
VagabondDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:25 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by southardrv View Post
About to pick up my first RV, and it has a propane/AC refrigerator. We're not full-timing, so as we go out to our site on trips I'd planned on running the fridge off propane while driving, so that we can get it cold by the time we get to where we're going. It seems a bit of overkill to get the generator going to do this, so I'd planned on using propane (I know that I'd have to turn off the propane going through certain tunnels).

However, what if we're going to a mountain camp site, or over a mountain pass, such as the grapevine in CA? The road grade could easily take it outside of level (I believe the specs are 3 degrees one way and 6 degrees the other, though I can't remember which is which right now). Should I turn off the fridge when driving up or down?

Level is important when you are sitting still. When you are traveling, the motion of the trailer keeps the refrigerant moving, so going up and down mountains with the fridge running on propane is not a problem. If it were a problem, it wouldn't make any difference if you ran in on propane or AC.
OlJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:56 PM   #38

Drivimg

Quote:
I hope I don't meet you walking back to the refer while you are driving.
dfhensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:10 PM   #39

We always turn off our propane when actually on the road. In several , when transiting some tunnels (i.e., Norfolk) and throughout all of Canada the laws requires any propane source turned off. We have never had any problems with our refrigerator or freezer keeping our food cold.
Escape42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:22 PM   #40

Smile Propane Refrigerators Through Mountains

As the some of the others have commented. I've been RVing since 2004 and all of my rigs weather gas or diesel had propane refrigerators and no problems with elevation or tunnels. Likewise enjoy your rig and happy travels.
DaddyNo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:02 PM   #41

You can run on Propane while driving, you just have to be level when parked to prevent the boiler from going dry. I just got my cooling unit replaced with a rebuilt one and saved a bunch of money. The warranty is voided if running it off-level while parked. The shop explained to me that when you are driving the front of the RV going up to down, etc is keeping the boiler primed. Here's a link to FAQ on the issue. FAQS
btgilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:35 PM   #42

My understanding of the level is because the propane jets are not gimbaled. This means that when out of level, the jet isn't pointed at the tube that is being heated. You can purchased refrigerators that are gimbaled but they are more expensive and are used mainly on boats. Running a non gimbaled refer out of level can damage the heat box and that is why Norcold tells you to level your rig. My friend who was a propane installer / repairman told me this and I checked it out. It is true.

This may not be an issue if you spend most of your time on relatively level highways in cool climates.
VagabondDoug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, refrigerator