Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2023, 01:44 PM   #1

propane tank recert?

Looking at the tank in my 2000 monaco its a 32ish gallon tank, made in 99, and definitely needs to be recertified

It has some surface rust and paint peeling as a result...I'm no stranger to fixing things like this, but if I were to remove the rust and repaint the tank would I still be likely to be able to recertify it, or is it something that definitely has to be refurbed by a company?

I would like it working, but push come to shove I'll just use the little 4.7gal cylinders and call it a day for now
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2023, 01:47 PM   #2

MH LP TANKS do NOT require certification ---- ASME Tank

**DOT LP Cylinders (trailers) do

Wire brush it/clean up surface rust and then repaint (white/silver)
*Can be denied filling if rusted up
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 01:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
MH LP TANKS do NOT require certification ---- ASME Tank

**DOT LP Cylinders (trailers) do

Wire brush it/clean up surface rust and then repaint (white/silver)
*Can be denied filling if rusted up
Thanks for that! I have lots of paint and elbow grease, so I'll pull it and make it shiny again, hopefully prevent future rust (though I'm not super worried in my state lol)
Old 04-24-2023, 02:19 PM   #4

Can't you wire brush/paint in place?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 03:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Can't you wire brush/paint in place?
It is top mounted above the spare tire, I could do the visible portions (front facing) but the top of the tank has rust I can feel but the gap is maybe 2" and I can't see the back, if I'm gonna tackle it I will do it right so there's no hidden surprises, plus the hose is already disconnected so its 4 bolts, disconnect the sensor, and a few strong hands and it should be out
Old 04-24-2023, 05:08 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Only Canada requires recertification of MH propane tanks. The US doesn't.

Sent from my SM-A515U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 12:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post

Makes my life easier. I doubt I will run through too much propane, but having 32 gallons beats messing around with ~5 gallon bottles and hoping for the best
Old 04-25-2023, 05:47 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post

This is directly from a company that does propane tank recertification here in Canada.

"Propane appliance tanks that are permanently mounted to vehicles or structures do not have to be recertified but they must be visually inspected every time they are filled to ensure that they are acceptable for use.

Problems with propane tanks on vehicles and recreational vehicles (RV’s) can usually be repaired if the problem is directly attached to the tank. (i.e. valves, regulators and hoses)"

A few years ago I thought it was required on my 99 Bounder and could not find one shop that had heard of recertifying a propane tank on a motorhome. None would do it.

On the other hand, when I bought my 2008 HR Scepter 42 PDQ in 2016 the tank had a lot of rust and crud etc. They (dealer mechanic) said it was not safe and they replaced it - had to have it custom made. Took six weeks.
So I guess they were following the letter and spirit of the law.

So it seems ASME tanks not permanently attached (such as forklifts) do require recertification but permanently mounted tanks that look good do not.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 10:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
This is directly from a company that does propane tank recertification here in Canada.

"Propane appliance tanks that are permanently mounted to vehicles or structures do not have to be recertified but they must be visually inspected every time they are filled to ensure that they are acceptable for use.

Problems with propane tanks on vehicles and recreational vehicles (RV’s) can usually be repaired if the problem is directly attached to the tank. (i.e. valves, regulators and hoses)"

A few years ago I thought it was required on my 99 Bounder and could not find one shop that had heard of recertifying a propane tank on a motorhome. None would do it.

On the other hand, when I bought my 2008 HR Scepter 42 PDQ in 2016 the tank had a lot of rust and crud etc. They (dealer mechanic) said it was not safe and they replaced it - had to have it custom made. Took six weeks.
So I guess they were following the letter and spirit of the law.

So it seems ASME tanks not permanently attached (such as forklifts) do require recertification but permanently mounted tanks that look good do not.

Chris
Yeah after pulling mine today it looks rough, definitely bad surface rust. I'll flap disk off the worst, hit it with reformer, and then repaint the whole shebang and reinstall
IcePyro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank