Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Propane Tee Help

I just installed a camco 4port tee on my class a
Here is my problem
The grill is still to close to the motorhome if I run it underneath coach and i can find a 1 inch male and female plug thats longer then 12 feet

Also i want to do the propane fire pit and i cant find any with a regulator hose that i can use
thanks for the help
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2018, 12:22 PM   #2

Two extension hoses. That's what I did.

If it's a bought firepit, I would think the regulator would come with it/be built in.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:05 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
can you do 2 extensions together
Old 07-16-2018, 07:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarata View Post
can you do 2 extensions together
I did, works great.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:38 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
On my coach (and coaches with built in propane appliances) the regulator is located at the coach's propane tank (built into coach). When you tee off an existing propane line you are already getting regulated pressure.

So you need to remove the regulator that is on your grill or fire pit (when that grill or fire pit is designed to run off a propane bottle).
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
On my coach (and coaches with built in propane appliances) the regulator is located at the coach's propane tank (built into coach). When you tee off an existing propane line you are already getting regulated pressure.

So you need to remove the regulator that is on your grill or fire pit (when that grill or fire pit is designed to run off a propane bottle).
If he used the same tee as I did, it goes before the regulator. It allows you to add a portable tank to use with your house system (so the portable tank will run through the regulator also) and then has a hookup for a grill or what have you (that isn't regulated as it is before the regulator).
Old 07-16-2018, 08:07 AM   #7

Quote:

Any tee for outside appliances should be put before the regulator and use its own regulation they generally operate at higher pressure then indoor appliances.
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:57 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPro View Post
Any tee for outside appliances should be put before the regulator and use its own regulation they generally operate at higher pressure then indoor appliances.
The Coach's inside cooktop/grill uses the same pressure as an outdoor grill/appliance.

If you want to use an "Extend-A-Stay fitting, its different - but to just connect an outside grill to the coach's propane tank this works fine.

There are a ton of videos on this. Such as I removed the regulator on the Coleman grill and installed a quick disconnect fitting. I have a 20 foot hose connected to my coach propane system (connected after the regulator) so the Coleman grill receives the same low pressure as the internal cooktop (and refrigerator, if I had a propane fridge). I have the same setup for my Fire Pit.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:11 AM   #9

Quote:
The Coach's inside cooktop/grill uses the same pressure as an outdoor grill/appliance.

If you want to use an "Extend-A-Stay fitting, its different - but to just connect an outside grill to the coach's propane tank this works fine.

There are a ton of videos on this. Such as I removed the regulator on the Coleman grill and installed a quick disconnect fitting. I have a 20 foot hose connected to my coach propane system (connected after the regulator) so the Coleman grill receives the same low pressure as the internal cooktop (and refrigerator, if I had a propane fridge). I have the same setup for my Fire Pit.

There are several ways to connect outside appliances to the RV system and this^^ is definitely an option. If the main tank of the RV is on the driver's side, tapping into a house line on the passenger side makes things easier.

As mentioned, the pressure for the house appliances is 11" WC, which is the same pressure required for outdoor grilles, fire pits, and other accessories which reduce the pressure with their own regulators. Each needs to be modified by removing the appliance regulator. The downside would be the appliance could now only be used with the RV or some other similar 11"WC connection.

To the OP: The suggestion to use two extensions is the simplest solution and requires nothing more than the purchase of two hoses.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:44 AM   #10

Quote:

As others have posted, this is very bad advice and suggests doing something that at the very least will damage the appliance and at worst create a very dangerous situation and can lead to a disaster...ie putting propane under several hundred psi of pressure into one built to withstand less than 1.0 psi. I would suggest the post be removed.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:02 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambeau View Post
a very dangerous situation and can lead to a disaster...ie putting propane under several hundred psi of pressure into one built to withstand less than 1.0 psi. I would suggest the post be removed.
What are you talking about?
There is no high pressure involved. The coach's regulator lowers the pressure to the safe/required levels. It's no more dangerous than using the built in propane grill in your coach's kitchen.
There are dozens of posts of people doing it this way. No one has ever posted of any issues or problems ...
Old 07-16-2018, 11:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambeau View Post
As others have posted, this is very bad advice and suggests doing something that at the very least will damage the appliance and at worst create a very dangerous situation and can lead to a disaster...ie putting propane under several hundred psi of pressure into one built to withstand less than 1.0 psi. I would suggest the post be removed.
Quote:
What are you talking about?
There is no high pressure involved. The coach's regulator lowers the pressure to the safe/required levels. It's no more dangerous than using the built in propane grill in your coach's kitchen.
There are dozens of posts of people doing it this way. No one has ever posted of any issues or problems ...

Yes, I believe Rambeau misread your original post--the part where you state, "When you tee off an existing propane line you are already getting regulated pressure." That regulated pressure is 11"WC or 0.4 psi.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:49 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
the fire pit has a hose with a regulator on it thats connects to a 20lb tank what i want to do is work of the tee which is before the regulator on the propane tank of my coach so i would think i need a regulator somewhere
Old 07-16-2018, 01:02 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Can you just use the regulator that is already on the Fire Pit hose?

I'm thinking that that hose that connects to the propane bottle could have an adapter installed so you can use your extension hose from the coach. Then the "unregulated" propane from coach will go through the regulator already on the Fire Pit hose.

See these adapters

Tags
propane